What sort of Tv to get?

borstalboy

Apr 17, 2012
Northern Subs SA
Just wondering whats the best way to go for a TV in the van. Should I get a 12volt TV with built in DVD or should I use the 22inch LCD TV I already have with an inverter when off mains power.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Plenty of good 12v TV/DVD combos out there. Do a search on this site for members recommendations. Then it's always in the van and always works off the 12v.

hamish22

May 12, 2013
West of Newcastle
www.grmotorsport.com.au
Don't know if this helps but:

We have 3 tvs belonging to our van, one from the Good Guys (Hi Sense) a Kogan and The Sphere which came with the van and all have built in DVD's.

All run as good as each other on 240v and 12v and the dvd players seem good, but the only difference we have found is the Sphere which came with the van tuned in better and seemed have better reception than the other 2.

The only problem was we found the remote to the Sphere a bit ordinary!

cheers

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Check out the Kogan web site daily and wait until they have a sale. 12Volt 22inch with dvd should be around $140. The site changes daily. We have bought 2 and have been happy, just don't buy any phone sim cards off them :) . Depends what you plan to do with the TV you already have.

Mar 6, 2013
Wantirna, Vic
I have a 12v Kogan 22" TV (with built in DVD player) in the van. I also have a portable hard drive (that plugs into the TV) for movie nights when we go away ... no DVDs hanging around my caravan, thank goodness.

rojoberry

Mar 16, 2012
Pakenham Victoria
We use a 26in Koga it has flown off the bed it has bounced off the cabinet, yes because I keep forgetting to secure it and it still works fine. As Maccayak said if you watch and wait Kogan even have free post days.

16493ob

Jul 13, 2013
Melbourne South East
Just bought a 19" Kogan model with the built in DVD and bracket to mount it, all up about $170 for both. I'm hoping to get it fitted this weekend. It replaces a JB HiFi unit which served us well but only used it once as a tv.

Adam G

Jul 28, 2013
A salesman at prestige jayco told me the sphere was designed to travel while mounted in the van so long as the bracket lock was in place. Does anyone here leave their sphere tv mounted while towing? It sounds a bit dodgy to me...

Reactions: Lonski

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
When I installed the mount I did it so it would be pretty solid. I put mine in before Lara did hers, I prefer the mount she fitted, it looks more factory. Anyway I know my mount will be secure but have always removed the TV when we travel. It takes 30sec to unclip. I have the Kogan but to be honest I don't think it makes much difference what brand it is.

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
I happened to snap this for a mate. This was in a 20 ft Starcraft.
image.jpg

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
I was also told by Jayco to remove the tv from the Bracket. Doesn't take long to pack it away, I still have the box and foam from new, so pack it away in that, nice and safe from damage while travelling.

HM

Mike7

Nov 10, 2011
I remove the TV and just put it in the gap between the two foam halves of my mattress on my 16-49-3 . Sits nice and protected and takes only a sec to slip it in there and retrieve it.

Cheers
Mike

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
I have a 12v Kogan 22" TV (with built in DVD player) in the van. I also have a portable hard drive (that plugs into the TV) for movie nights when we go away ... no DVDs hanging around my caravan, thank goodness.

Ditto for me, just fitted a bracket outside the van to mount it for movie nights, kids love sitting outside to watch cartoons when eating dinner!!!