What Opyions are essential

les2476

Jul 12, 2012
NSW
Hi guys,

Love all the information gathered on this site, it's very informative. Myself and my wife are buying an expanda in sep (deciding between 14 and 16 foot) and would appreciate some information on what options you guys and girls cant's live without and what options you may regret getting. We have 2 children, 4 and 5 months and are looking forward to starting this adventure. We will mostly be doing CP to start with , but with the view of visiting free camp sites and been self sufficient.

Cheers.

Angus

Apr 13, 2012
Brisbane
If you don't get a shower model definitely get a gas/electric hot water system with an outside shower option, road side folding table,extra 12v power outlet and tv coaxial outlet next to the table these are just a few options that we got on our new 16.49.1.

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
gday les and congrats on deciding on expanda, we've gone thru tent to tcamper to expanda as most here have, we are family of 6 and went shower/toliet,kids are 12.10.9 and 5 yo. what a luxury having it and resale in future in there if you need it.i'd go with a 16ft van (nothing against the 14ft of course,dont want to offend), purely growing family and their things need the space,plus you'll end up with the kids friends too in the future or even relatives!!! what tow vehicle do you intyend to use also will be factor too. cheers.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Welcome to the forum.

Options can change depending on whether you get a touring model or Outback model too. The Outback comes with a few more things standard.

In the 14 family model (like ours), i would recommend the HWS, extra water tank and external shower. There is an exellent cupboard on the floor where a small porta loo can slide out. Good for young kids.

The one thng we use the least in our van is the microwave. It came standard though. The A/C is worth the money if you are doing caravan parks in summer.

We didnt bother with TV and antenna, thats just not camping to us. A small portable DVD player can keep the kids amused if need be, chaep as too.

Everyone is different, so its great customing the van to meet your needs. Have fun doing your research.:typing:

les2476

Jul 12, 2012
NSW
gday les and congrats on deciding on expanda, we've gone thru tent to tcamper to expanda as most here have, we are family of 6 and went shower/toliet,kids are 12.10.9 and 5 yo. what a luxury having it and resale in future in there if you need it.i'd go with a 16ft van (nothing against the 14ft of course,dont want to offend), purely growing family and their things need the space,plus you'll end up with the kids friends too in the future or even relatives!!! what tow vehicle do you intyend to use also will be factor too. cheers.

Thank you for the advice, we are thinking about the 16 footer depanding on price and size. Our tow vehicle is a 07 Territory.

les2476

Jul 12, 2012
NSW
If you don't get a shower model definitely get a gas/electric hot water system with an outside shower option, road side folding table,extra 12v power outlet and tv coaxial outlet next to the table these are just a few options that we got on our new 16.49.1.

Sounds like some good advice as we will probably not have an internal shower or toilet. thank you.

les2476

Jul 12, 2012
NSW
Welcome to the forum.

Options can change depending on whether you get a touring model or Outback model too. The Outback comes with a few more things standard.

In the 14 family model (like ours), i would recommend the HWS, extra water tank and external shower. There is an exellent cupboard on the floor where a small porta loo can slide out. Good for young kids.

The one thng we use the least in our van is the microwave. It came standard though. The A/C is worth the money if you are doing caravan parks in summer.

We didnt bother with TV and antenna, thats just not camping to us. A small portable DVD player can keep the kids amused if need be, chaep as too.

Everyone is different, so its great customing the van to meet your needs. Have fun doing your research.:typing:

I think we will definitely go for the aircon, maybe even mounted on the roof to free up some space, any thoughts. We will also go the OB version with the HWS and external shower.
Thank you Moto

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
I think we will definitely go for the aircon, maybe even mounted on the roof to free up some space, any thoughts. We will also go the OB version with the HWS and external shower.
Thank you Moto

Its easy to get carried away with the options though and thats where they sting you. Know what you want before you get quotes. I got a great price originally but added a few options just at the end at final sign off and couldn't get much off the later add ons. Whereas i think if you do it all early you get a better overall package/deal.

I think i have posted this a few times, the one thing i wish i ordered but didn't, is the simplicity suspension, for more ground clearance.

Have fun!

Nuts

Jun 17, 2011
Calliope Qld
Small options but good ones are the battery monitor and especially the water level indicator as well if you are looking to free camp in the future. As I got caught once before running out of water but lucky was close to home and had others around to get through the last night.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
In hindsight on mine, I'd add a few more external hatches like others have done rather than having to rearrange the beds every time I want to get in to the storage areas under them. (The rear storage doesn't even get used, and the one under the bunk is a pain cos the kids have their junk so spread out over and around it :))

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Hey Les2476

We too were making the choice between the 14 and 16 outback. We have a daughter who is 12mths in August. We ended up deciding on the 16" as the shower / toilet for us was a must have so we got the 16.49-3 - ordered it yesterday with pickup in September. That seems to be the wait time at the moment if you are looking at new. So I can't tell you what we can't live without as I'm not there yet... sure i will find out soon enough.

The extras we added - 100ah battery, awning, 2.2aircon, windup tv antenna and the bed privacy screens. We didn't choose to upgrade the fridge as we have an Engel that we take everywhere so decided to have the extra cupboard space. The privacy screens were a must. The beds are right at head height and we don't fancy other ppl looking in. I might investigate canvas ones but from what i have found out from other posts on here they are around 1k for both ends. The air is for those hot nights. Not really sure how it will work yet? The battery, well that for us is essential as we will be places that just won't have power. Our car also has another battery if needed. The shower toilet model as I said was a must for a couple of reasons - we will be places that may not have facilities but even if we are at places with facilities, having the little one it will be easier for us to be able to shower her in the van rather than in shared facilities.

The only other thing that will definitely get done is putting an ozhitch on for better towing etc. I am also thinking about some form of stone guard for car and van.

Good luck with your decision. :)

Cheers
Ants