Chassis What is your chosen Hitch set up (poll)

What is your hitch set up

• Total voters

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Trig hitch, no rattles and is really smooth, no great dramas hooking up when you get used to it. No WDH needed on my set up.

Last edited:

Darrin

Sep 5, 2013
Birkdale Qld
What's the benefits in any other than the 50mm toe ball, I don't do much off road , only the odd dirt track , went down a big dip once , that's about it . Are the others easier to hook up , I don't know ,

Cheers

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
What's the benefits in any other than the 50mm toe ball, I don't do much off road , only the odd dirt track , went down a big dip once , that's about it . Are the others easier to hook up , I don't know ,

Cheers
More tolerant of odd angles to hitch up. Not confined to the regulation maximum height for the hitch so can be matched to the car and van for how level you want your rig. More tolerant of ditches/humps when a standard 50mm ball fitting may reach the limit of its movement and put excessive strain on the towbar fittings or the "A" frame itself. This can result in shearing of fittings.

You may find informative reading here:
http://www.towingguide.com.au/content/couplings.html

We have a DO35V2 but having read about the new McHitch Autocoupler and with the rave review that new users are giving it I'm starting to rethink what my next toy may be.

Phil

Reactions: DRW and Darrin

PeterV

Mar 25, 2015
Turramurra, NSW
Spoke to Jayco Sydney about changing the coupling to a McHitch or D035. They didn't want to do it ("well only do it if the factory does it"). Interestingly, they recommended I did not change the coupling during the warranty period.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Spoke to Jayco Sydney about changing the coupling to a McHitch or D035. They didn't want to do it ("well only do it if the factory does it"). Interestingly, they recommended I did not change the coupling during the warranty period.

Yeah same as spacers they stay away from .
"Interestingly, they recommended I did not change the coupling during the warranty period" standard answer in the dumbed downed society we live in today. What $&@:en difference does it make to warranty on the rest of the van?

Curryhouse

Apr 8, 2012
Newcastle
Standard 50mm ball, genuine toyota towbar and anti-sway bars (that's what I've been calling them anyway).
anti-sway.jpg

jeff

Mar 4, 2013
200km south of Perth
they do look like they would be easy when coupling van to car. We have a tregg and at first found it very difficult to align car & van, over time we have found it a lot easier, so I suppose practice makes perfect :)

Reactions: Holden_man

Dove

Aug 14, 2013
Melb, Vic.
I use 50mm ball and sometimes ball and WDH.

That seems to be what most people use. So a question to those who are using articulated off road hitches. Why do you think you need them for what are essentially road caravans? Im asking because I have gone from wanting to trade my Starcraft to deciding to up grade its shocks and springs, and wondering whether to change the hitch also?