Chassis Weight Distribution Hitch Video

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
G'day gents. On track to pick up the van this weekend and have never used a WDH, let alone towed a caravan before.

Is it simply just a case of my looking and measuring the sag once the van is on to determine if I need to fit the WDH or should I drive it down the road then fit it?
Personally, measure sag and fit if required

Reactions: DWWood

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Tried to find a link that explains it all but no luck yet................basically for initial set up.
1. measure ground to tow ball.
2. measure from ground to bottom of front guard
3. drop van on tow ball and measure 1 and 2 again.
4. with van still connected raise about 75mm and connect bars, advisable to be more than 4 links.
5. lower van back down, check heights and adjust till about the same as original.
Raising the van makes it easier to hook things up, 4 links free is needed to allow for movement.

Once set up and you know which chain link to hook onto it's easy, just lift and hook the bars on.

My van is somewhere between 2.5 and 2.7t and 200kg on the ball ??? drops the Colorado 15mm at the ball but the front rises 25mm, rides well with no hitch but wind gets under front of tug and makes it very light in steering, this is due to raised suspension so use a WDH.

Reactions: dagree and DWWood

DWWood

Jun 26, 2016
Yarra Valley
Thanks Drover & crackacoldie.

Drover, in point #4 you say to raise van 75mm with van attached, is this done by the jockey wheel?

Last edited:

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
welcome @DWWood

I would always suggest to "err" on the side of Safety at All times

if you have never towed before, get and fit the WDH
be aware of your surroundings
take your time (not tooooooo slow mind you) when towing, its not a race to get away on holidays
AND
even with the breaks on the Van, your still going to be 2000kgs heavier than you were when you were NOT towing, make sure you leave yourself enough room,

as per my post on your intro.............
what sort of car do you have to tow with............?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Yep, @DWWood raise it with the jockey wheel, once you find the right link to use, mark that link then it is quick to raise the draw bar and pop the chains on, I just pop them off without raising things up but keep your knee,legs and other bits clear when you do.........

Reactions: dagree

DWWood

Jun 26, 2016
Yarra Valley
Thanks @bigcol - 150 series Prado towing a 17.56-1 Expanda OB. Soon to be a new Hi-Lux SR5 in the coming months. Have towed plenty before but nothing as big or as bulky as the Jayco and certainly nothing requiring WDH's, moreso tandem trailers and the like...

Thanks @Drover have used dog chains before so can more than appreciate the dangers involved with loading them up!

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

DWWood

Jun 26, 2016
Yarra Valley
Anyone know if some coat hanger wire will suffice in lieu of those clips that go over the clamps on the WDH?

DWWood

Jun 26, 2016
Yarra Valley
Anyone know if some coat hanger wire will suffice in lieu of those clips that go over the clamps on the WDH?

Sammy D

Feb 14, 2016
Quirindi
I would say definitely NO.
If the clamps go well over centre you may get away with it for a while but I have seen some clamps that still have a little tension on the clips so they would soon pull through.

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Not on mine it wouldn't, get chopped in quick time I think, HT No: 8 fencing wire might be okay, need something like a 3" nail.

Reactions: Sammy D and dagree

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I posted a pic somewhere but I used a thick key ring, some dunny chain and my pins are attached to the units, so when I pull the things out they don't get lost.............it's flamin cold outside tonight, must be 16 deg but I dived out into the cold to take a new pic..............a most worthwhile mod.

WDHpin.jpg

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Oh forgot, many wouldn't know what a dunny chain is, well many moons ago the cistern was mounted above head height and to get rid of the evidence you had to pull a chain, buttons weren't invented back then..................................Bahahahahahahha

DWWood

Jun 26, 2016
Yarra Valley
Hey guys, used the WDH for the first time last weekend (EZLIFT version) and after having thought I'd set it up properly as per the instructions I get a lot of creaking when turning slowly i.e. leaving driveway, backing in to park site from which I assume is too much tension/torsion on the bars. The vehicle sits level once WDH fitted, anyone else's creek LOUDLY when fitted? Is it a normal thing?

2016-08-16 13.50.25.jpg

Reactions: bigcol