16' Series Weber Baby Q

Frank

Feb 14, 2014
G'day all. Can anyone tell me if a Weber Baby Q is:
a. any good for camping
b. able to fit in the front trunk access of a 2013 16.49.1 Expanda

We currently use a companion two burner that boils the kettle and we cook on using fry pans when out free camping. However with the Baby Q I know we won't be able to boil the kettle so I am just looking at options and like to know other peoples ideas/thoughts.

Cheers

Frank

JBTZ14

Sep 24, 2014
Ballarat
Hi. We have a 14.44 expanda our weber baby Q high lid won't fit through the side hatch but Will fit in the font trunk I just use the access hatch under the front bed it fits fine that way. Hope that helps

JBTZ14

Sep 24, 2014
Ballarat
Sory I forgot to say we use our Weber all the time it's great. As far as boiling water we also take one of those Butane can single burners works great for boiling a kettle or anything else you don't want to cook up in the van like pasta sauce.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
We have a baby q with the high lid. It's been fantastic, and we have also purchased a full size plate for it, so can use it as a normal lid up BBQ or a lid down oven. We have a 2014 21.64-1 and it won't for through the outside hatch but it does fit in from the inside hatch down into the front boot. Not sure if our boot is bigger than the 16-49.1

jeff

Mar 4, 2013
200km south of Perth
We have a Baby Q but have never taken it away with us. We use it to cook the weekend roast and other meals. Not as good as the old Weber that you put the briquettes into, but OK. Thanks to @JBTZ14 I am going outside to make sure it fits OK in our van. Do you get any of the old cooking smells in the van ?

blacky

Sep 17, 2013
Townsville QLD
we too have a babyQ.. take it or leave it, its all good.. but here are some of my thoughts....

-buy the high lid model, with the thermometer. I want to buy a replacement lid now..

- not big enough for a family of 6.... but hey, what is big enough for 6 yet small enough to be practical??

-its a bit of a bastard to clean...
unless you use the full hotplate it seems?

Barra

Apr 11, 2014
Townsville
Hi. We have the baby q and it works a treat. Pizzas, roasts, stews, bbqs to name a few different things to make camping interesting. It won't fit in our boot but I just put it under the dinette table at the front. It's easy enough to get in and out to use. Easier still if someone lifts the table up for you! Get the high lid with temp gauge. Line the inside with alfoil which helps with cleaning.

Reactions: blacky and Smirke

Barra

Apr 11, 2014
Townsville
we too have a babyQ.. take it or leave it, its all good.. but here are some of my thoughts....

-its a bit of a bastard to clean...
unless you use the full hotplate it seems?

Maybe a tip if you haven't tried this... Wire brush with water while it's hot and switched on full is the best way to clean the grill. Wipe under the lid with paper towel if needed. Lining the base with alfoil I find works well as the base can be messy to clean otherwise. This works for me. Love the baby q. Always in the van....

5ofus

Jun 23, 2014
Brisbane
That's a great tip about lining the base with alfoil, will do that. To add to that, if you wet the dull side with a sponge (and place wet side down) it will stick better too.

Reactions: blacky and jeff

Vaughan Reeve

Nov 25, 2013
Ill chime in as well. We sceptically bought the baby Q for home to see what it was like. We liked it so much we bought the family Q for home the baby Q lives in the weber bag under the small dinette in out 17.56. Absolutely awesome to cook with, bit of a prick to clean as the others have said. Nothing better than doing party pies and stuff for the kids, (and big kids) when we are camping.

I was thinking about trying oven cleaner on the inside and letting it soak for a while, has anyone tried this?

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
We purchased a Baby 100Q while away and loved it that much that we went and got a 200 for home the week we returned and hardly used the kitchen oven since! It's amazing what can be cooked in them.
The baby Q was stored in a weber carry bag under the dinette in the last van but now has a permanent home in the box on the a-frame.

Will be watching this post for some cleaning hints as the 200 needs a good clean up :bathbaby:

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
We were told by the Weber rep to NOT Line the base with alfoil. Something to do with it affecting the coating on the base making it delaminate at higher temperatures.

Just what we were told. In saying that, they are real bastards to clean if you cook a lot of roasts. Oven cleaner does work quite well. That and a high pressure water blaster.

BJ.

Reactions: Flossymk1