Chassis WDH convert! WDH / anti sway / anti bounce kit for 22 starcraft

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Well, I've just taken delivery of an Andersen WDH on Friday, primarily on the basis of discussion through this forum with @Base23 and other positive reviews online. Due to the strengthening bar on the Gecko's chassis, we've had to get extensions to the chains provided by the distributor down here so that the brackets will fit further down the A Frame.

Hoping to have a go at installing it during the week but pretty time poor at the moment so it's likely to be next week at the earliest.

Still pretty excited to have it and it's one quality piece of kit.

One question to existing owners, from early indications it looks like my handbrake wire will rub across the bracket. Do others find this or is it something only relevant to the New Age set up?

Jamcor

Feb 29, 2016
Qld
Yeah i had to legnthen chains aswell make sure u use the correct hammerlocks to do this my hand brake cables clear only drama i have is the chains run where the jockey wherl goes

Reactions: Delano and bigcol

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Yeah i had to legnthen chains aswell make sure u use the correct hammerlocks to do this my hand brake cables clear only drama i have is the chains run where the jockey wherl goes

Yep, got the rated chain and hammerlocks provided by local seller in consultation with the Australian distributor. All happy and above board.

Our jockey wheel is centre mounted, so no issue there, but the brake cable definitely rubs. Just trying to think of a solution to get the cable around the bracket.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
OK... so got a couple of pics of the bracket in the approximate location. where it'll need to be to slot the bottom bolt on the bottom of the chassis.

You can see the brake cable rubbing so I'm thinking I need some sort of spacer for the cable to run around it.

Thoughts?

20161206_193709_resized.jpg 20161206_193723_resized.jpg 20161206_193728_resized.jpg

Reactions: bigcol

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
I like that idea @chartrock, bit of a sacrificial washer so too speak.In the end, it should only be light rubbing at worst. When the cable is taught, the van won't be moving and when in motion the cable should have some flex so shouldn't be too detrimental. Will look at that solution though mate...

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
A few thoughts @Smergen ...

1) Pack between the drawbar and inner bracket at the bolts and feed the cable between the two... Or was that what you meant @chartrock ?

2) Bolt or glue a thin bit of flat neoprene/plastic on inner face of bracket for the cable to rub on.... Cable on plastic would be better than cable on metal!

3) If possible re-route the cable under the drawbar utilising chain links attached underneath as guides (If that makes sense? My last boat trailer had a similar setup)

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
2) Bolt or glue a thin bit of flat neoprene/plastic on inner face of bracket for the cable to rub on.... Cable on plastic would be better than cable on metal!

I was going to suggest this

either putting a piece of "chopping board" cut with holes for bolts on the outside edge, and have the cable run on that

or

make 2 spacers out of the "chopping board" and put them under the bracket, with the cable running through the middle

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
either putting a piece of "chopping board" cut with holes for bolts on the outside edge, and have the cable run on that

Was wondering how I could "coat" the bracket to do that and I reckon your idea is pretty good. Just get a cheap board, drill a few holes for the bolts to pass through and simply bolt on when attaching the bracket.

Not a fan of spacing the bracket away from drawbar (sorry if I misread your post @chartrock) as I want them sitting flush and creating the neccessary "grip" as designed. Don't particularly want to reroute the cable either if possible.

Perhaps a long piece of plastic garden/irrigation hose around the cable as it passes over the bracket could work.

A bit of trial and error methinks. Appreciate all the thoughts and feedback.

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I'd go with bigcol's chopping board chaff plate or docs the bit of hose, have used both methods and both work well, if you go the hose, the water line hose on the van works great but use a bit longer than needed and use big heat shrink at either end to hold it in place, worse bit is disconnecting the cable from the brake, helpfull hint is to use a bit of heat shrink over the cable end, about 50mm before you disconnect, that way it won't unravel.............

Gilmorehappy

Jul 7, 2015
Newcastle

If you have the side mount jockey wheel, and the chain clashes with it, simply swap the bracket that takes the chain assembly to the inside position instead, and problem neatly solved. Still complies with the manufacturers' parameter diagramme in the manual according to my interpretation.

Reactions: Base23 and bigcol

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
If you have the side mount jockey wheel, and the chain clashes with it, simply swap the bracket that takes the chain assembly to the inside position instead, and problem neatly solved. Still complies with the manufacturers' parameter diagramme in the manual according to my interpretation.

This is what I have done and now jockey wheel dose not interfere with WDH chains anymore.

As for the hand brake cable rubbing on the bracket I do not have the problem. Some great ideas have been suggested.
Smergen what was your fix in the end.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Smergen what was your fix in the end.

Not put it on. :)

Believe it or not, haven't gotten around to putting it on. I mean, I could have but it would mean hooking it up and towing it somewhere flat (our slab isn't quiet level) and where I can line the car up straight which I can't do either.

After Xmas trips and January trips, it tows well without it and I don't feel I have to put it on. So there's not the rush. But will do it soon enough and see how it goes.

But for the wire solution it will be the irrigation hose and cable ties/hose clamp solution. Easy and effective.

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
Question for the small but growing group using the Andersen hitch - is it possible to set it up to give away control without tightening the chains too much since I don't need that much WDH effect and want to keep stresses on the Navara to a minimum given Nissan doesn't recommend a WDH in the first place.

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Question for the small but growing group using the Andersen hitch - is it possible to set it up to give away control without tightening the chains too much since I don't need that much WDH effect and want to keep stresses on the Navara to a minimum given Nissan doesn't recommend a WDH in the first place.

Guessing you mean Sway control?
You can have the chains tight or just nipped up and you will still have sway control, The sway control is done through the cone in the ball mount, as long as you connect the chains the sway control will work.