16' Series Water pooling on bed-end roof

John Metcalfe

Mar 18, 2014
This is our first trip with our new Expanda - we've had rain on a couple of nights and in the morning we have noticed a pool of water has collected on the canvas roof of the front bed end.

Has anybody had the same experience ? And if so were they able to find out the cause and fix it !!

Last edited:

Wanda

Jun 22, 2013
Adelaide
2014 June 13th. van bed lid leaking 049.jpg 2014 June 13th. van bed lid leaking 007.jpg 2014 June 13th. van bed lid leaking 015.jpg
Yep, us too. This problem was on our 'please fix list' when we had our first service about 2 weeks ago, obviously not fixed >:(. I've been out in the rain today taking photo's. NOT HAPPY !!!!! Would certainly be interested in a fix from the forum members if anyone has any ideas, would rather fix it ourselves.

John Metcalfe

Mar 18, 2014
I took some photos too - they look a lot like yours. At this moment I don't know where the water is coming from. There doesn't seem to be any collection on the underside of the hinges. I'm tempted to turn the water hose onto the front end and see if I can see where the water collection comes from - but first I'll see if it rains tonight. At least the water is not coming inside.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wanda

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
We have the same issue. Seems to be an issue on the left hand side for us. Seems that the water drips at the end of the hinge.

Didn't thin so much of it being a warranty issue but am concerned in heavy rain

BJ.

Wanda

Jun 22, 2013
Adelaide
Hi @bigbertha was that resealed under warranty?

Hi @Bmhdg76, my concern (beside it being inconvenient to fold up a wet bed end) is the pool of water that gathers above our heads. It has gotten very, very full and heavy. Don't know if that will stretch the canvas and possibly eventually leak. We have had rain all day today, nothing heavy just consistent.
2014 June 13th. van bed lid leaking 021.jpg

Wanda

Jun 22, 2013
Adelaide
Thanks for the idea @benrosenick but already tried that one. Also, Jayco originally had our bed end base sitting up higher than it should have been which resulted in a bed on a lean and a bit of bed hogging :bump2:, so Mr Wanda has now dropped the bed supporting cables one hole lower in the brackets. So now we have a flat bed and a slightly tighter canvas but not enough to stop the water pooling.

Reactions: benrosenick

John Metcalfe

Mar 18, 2014
After 2 rainy nights I may have found the problem. The hinges appear sound, however water beads along the underside of the fibreglass lid and runs around the rim towards the hinge area, the water then drips and falls on the canvas side of the raised seam of the roof and begins to pool. The night before last I created a small bump (using a small rolled up piece of gaffer tape) on the lid in an effort to encourage the beads of water to drip on the outer side of the seam - it seems to work. Last night we had quite a lot of rain and again no pooling. I will provide an update later on in our trip.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I had a similar problem on our 17.
I noted it as a warranty concern and Jayco fixed it by adding a thick rubber strip in that spot. Hard to explain, and I dont have a pic sorry. I didnt believe it would work and then blow me down I never had the problem again!

coled1970

May 27, 2012
Hunter Valley, Newcastle
Had same issue with ours although 2 years old, removed the hinge from van and lid over bed, found hadn't been sealed properly. Cleaned old sealant off, reapplied new sealant - plenty of - and re-fitted hinges and had no issues since.
If it is under warranty make them fix it properly, wiping a bit of sealant over the outside of the hinge is only a short term fix.

John Metcalfe

Mar 18, 2014
To overcome the beading problem I rigged up some plastic shields to deflect the drips down the outside of the privacy screen. I cut up some plastic juice bottles and attached them to the lid with gaffer tape this rather crude solution has worked with the spasmodic rain we have had since my last post. Last night we had a good downpour and again no pooling on the bed end canvas roof so I may have cracked the problem. I'm still trying to think of a more aesthetic solution though.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    418.3 KB · Views: 265

bigbertha

Oct 6, 2012
port elliot sa
Hi @bigbertha was that resealed under warranty?

Hi @Bmhdg76, my concern (beside it being inconvenient to fold up a wet bed end) is the pool of water that gathers above our heads. It has gotten very, very full and heavy. Don't know if that will stretch the canvas and possibly eventually leak. We have had rain all day today, nothing heavy just consistent.
View attachment 23080
sorry i havent been on here for a long time ,yes it should be covered under your warranty and they take the strip off and reseal it properly