Exterior Leaking bed end lid solution

mbr37746

Oct 20, 2013
Central West NSW
Put the van in for service and mentioned a leaking front bed end lid hinge. After some discussion, here's what was done as a permanent solution.
The guys at the workshop did it on both ends, just in case! Professional job and looks like it was always meant to be there. I hope this helps someone who may have the same issue.
IMG_3451.JPG IMG_3452.JPG IMG_3450.JPG IMG_3449.JPG

Cheers!

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Hopefully won't need it but something to keep in mind just in case.... Looks like a good job.

thomo67

Oct 30, 2012
looks good what was the cost to do that ?
i wonder if it is a kit thing they have for it ?

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
came across this thread and I like the solution. Does anyone else experience water pooling on top of the bed end whilst the lid is open. Over Christmas whilst raining I was getting water on top of the canvas. This was in spite of having the Jayco waterproof BEF's fitted so it must have been coming through the hinge I guess.

Reactions: blacky

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Mine only has a rear bend end, no BEF fitted I have no watertight integrity problems with the BE or hinge to date, only have water running from the end of the hinge slightly which ends up on the canvas wall but no leaks, just came back from a rather wet trip with a few good storms. Proofing the canvas properly pays dividends.

I do like that mod, does it only happen on the front BE ???

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
came across this thread and I like the solution. Does anyone else experience water pooling on top of the bed end whilst the lid is open. Over Christmas whilst raining I was getting water on top of the canvas. This was in spite of having the Jayco waterproof BEF's fitted so it must have been coming through the hinge I guess.
Yeah - same as you describe @MDS69. My front bed end leaks with some water pooling on the canvas too (have the holiday annexes BEFs fitted).
Only annoys me when I leave the bed end windows open... I seem to recall water (not much though) on the canvas inside when unpacking previously - probably from driving through rain.
I don't use my rear bed end but I reckon it leaks as well.
Have just finished re-sika'ing where the hinge tabs/side plates mount on the bed end and body, and sealed up the end of the hinge as previous posts describe. Will get the hose out tomorrow to see how much water actually comes in through the hinge.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Has the canvas BE ever been fully soaked and let to dry ?? If it hasn't been set properly, like a tent it will leak.

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
I shoulda done the hose test before getting out the sika... well the hinges seal proper on my panda - I reckon it's the water that flows in around the hard top corners because the hinge isn't as wide as the bed end - see the vid attached. Will have to look at something to get a better fit on the BEFs at the top corners to better seal and direct the water outwards.

Attachments

• IMG_0531.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 790

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I shoulda done the hose test before getting out the sika... well the hinges seal proper on my panda - I reckon it's the water that flows in around the hard top corners because the hinge isn't as wide as the bed end - see the vid attached. Will have to look at something to get a better fit on the BEFs at the top corners to better seal and direct the water outwards.
The vid certainly gets the point across.

We've been lucky I suppose with the new van, the only water we've had on the bed has been a little aircon dribble depending on how weve been levelling the van.

Not sure why the odd aircon dribble sneaks through and not the rain

We're on the Gold Coast which got smashed with dumping rain all last night, with major floading across the coast. Woke up this morning and not a drop of water on the bed.

When you churn put 200 units per month and been building vans for 40 years ...... how do you manage to get two Expanda lids/bed ends so different from each other .... one leaking like a strainer in a drizzle, and the other bone dry through extreme weather

Reactions: Flossymk1
Oct 14, 2014
I have the same problem,just wondering if you fixed the problem and how

john hayward

Dec 31, 2012
We have had the same problem occaisionally but not to any great degree.
Interestingly it only affects the front bed and not the rear one.
From my observations the front hard lid opens to a more horizontal position and my theory is that this position allows water to seep back through the hinge which obviously can't be sealed.
The solution would be to ensure that the lid has a slightly steeper incline when in the open position but I don't know if or how you can adjust the struts to achieve this position.
I'm sure that an inch or so would make a difference.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I found the solution to the water pooling on the bed end was to buy a starcraft :behindsofa: ha ha

No seriously I posted up a video years ago on here of the water getting around the hinges and down. I remied it but silconing on a chuppa chomp stick that didn't let the water fall back around the hinge if that makes sense?

Last December while gas bagging with @Moto Moto we discussed this and why not all vans are affected. Think it has something to do with how high up past horizontal your lid goes! Some go so far the top half actually directs water back towards the hinge area! Try a strap to stop the lid going fully horizontal maybe 5-10 degrees down there should be room above the canvas.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I found that the water was running over the lid edge at the end of the hinge I just ran a bead of silicon from the hinge end to the outer edge of the lid to channel the water, it now falls to the ground. It shouldn't leak thru the hinge as it's a channel.

Reactions: Marv_mart

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Hi All, yes this has been a problem for me too as mention by @achjimmy , I also have the holiday annex bed covers and the front bed canvas was still getting really wet in the rain. That video shows exactly how the water gets in @Ligedy

BUT I FOUND A SOLUTION!!!

I found a guy on ebay making bed end gutters (I posted it in the ebay finds thread a while ago) but its not listed now. Its similar to the very first post in this thread but instead of being above the hinge it goes below. Simple (two person) install, and works great. Recently camping in heavy rain and front bed stayed dry but rear bed had some water on the canvas so might get one for the rear also.

I have the person who makes these details so if any one is interested i will contact him and ask if he minds me putting his details up. He's in Moorebank, NSW. He also make clear pop top window replacements (instead of mesh), bed end storm covers and thermo fans for Jayco fridges.

Here are some photos of mine fitted up (sorry not great quality).
IMG_8016.JPG

IMG_8017.JPG

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
I found that the water was running over the lid edge at the end of the hinge I just ran a bead of silicon from the hinge end to the outer edge of the lid to channel the water, it now falls to the ground. It shouldn't leak thru the hinge as it's a channel.
Yep, I did the same!

Reactions: Drover

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
we have had rain pouring down on us at Christmas in NSW but Easter in SA bed end started leaking right on my wife's pillow through that white edging where the bed end is connected inside the van ?????? not happy !!!! will be getting this looked at

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
we have had rain pouring down on us at Christmas in NSW but Easter in SA bed end started leaking right on my wife's pillow through that white edging where the bed end is connected inside the van ?????? not happy !!!! will be getting this looked at
More info @Bluey. Is it likely the canvas or the frame being the problem