17' Series Washing Machine - 17.56-2 ???

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
Anyone thought about putting a washing machine into a 17.56-2 into the cabinet to the left as you walk in?

IMG_1876 Washing Machine Location.jpg

We haven't picked ours up yet, so not sure if this is even possible but for the long trip next year the wife is keen on one, was thinking of a portable solution but then thought about a built in one.

Assume there would be lots of complications and not sure if the height of the cabinet would suit and of course getting all the piping done into the existing not to mentioned the additional weight (approx 18kg) at the front of the van

Any thoughts?

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Piping probably not too much of a drama. You would run it under the van. Height will be the biggest problem i would think.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Can't remember if it was on here or somewhere else.... but I have seen a picture of a small washing machine fitted in a similar sized cupboard!

Disregard the above...... It was a half height mini dish washer o_O

Four of us

Apr 27, 2011
Ipswich QLD
If you haven't signed off the contract yet, ask them to make that cupboard higher to accommodate the washer? We just pack ours in the van and set it up under the awning. Pace.
We do the same with our washing machine. We put ours under the awning..
That cupboard is a bit of storage prime real estate there @burnsie for your van. Choose wisely.
likewise I agree with @17triton. That area is a lot of space to use up for a washing machine...

Reactions: Ben Stanford

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
The Sphere type washing machines are actually quite squat, and in the pre-installed vans theyre sitting on blocks so the washing machine top is up near the bench. So height wise your cabinet should fine; not sure how wide your bench is but it would likely be ok there to.

For whats its worth @burnsie we used the single tub Coleman for years and couldnt fault it. Cheap, very light weight and punched well above its weight ... its tiny on the outside, took the huge beach towels in its stride, and you can pack other stuff in it for travel meaning it basically takes up zero space

Reactions: bigcol and burnsie

SMJ x2

Apr 12, 2015
PERTH
Ok Have been thinking................ can you smell the rubber burning :D.

I can put a w/machine where we took out the bunks next to the rear bed (on left hand side )
Is there anything in the way on the outside?I think it will clear the wheel hubs.
We have ordered outside shower but cant remember where is goes.
This is the 2015 model.Toilet and shower is on opposite side
We changed the bunks for buffet with cupboards and drawers under and o/heads.
Do you think it can be done?

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Thought the smell was the aftermath of today's burn-off up Bullsbrook way :target: 8-)
Anything is doable and how you explain the layout of your van I take it you have the full bench/cupboard where the bunks should be? That sounds like a perfect spot to put the washer.

Can't help with where the outside shower will be located or if anything will be in the way but I think you are onto something for a washing machine location @SMJ *Try posting a bit more so your post isn't boring* !

Last edited:
Reactions: burnsie

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
The wheel arch impedes under the bunk a little bit but up the end near the read bed is fine unless they put the shower there. Shower could go closer to the fridge I recon.

SMJ x2

Apr 12, 2015
PERTH
Thought the smell was the aftermath of today's burn-off up Bullsbrook way :target: 8-)
Anything is doable and how you explain the layout of your van I take it you have the full bench/cupboard where the bunks should be? That sounds like a perfect spot to put the washer.

Can't help with where the outside shower will be located or if anything will be in the way but I think you are onto something for a washing machine location!
Yes I think it would be dumb if we didn't put it in.
Yes full bench the length of a bunk.Might have to look closer because the wheel hubs are there as well.I ordered a bank of drawers to go at the bed end,now not sure if they will fit further back because of the hubs.I feel a trip to caravanland might be in order this week.

That smoke was pretty thick down near us,yellow glow all day

Reactions: dagree