Warning!! Prado 06-09 120 diesel injector fault.

seanparky

Jul 19, 2012
Brisbane
Guys just a warning as it has happened to me, now twice. Im currently just getting my prado injectors replaced or checked to see if seals were faulty.
How i first found it was faulty which id like all my fellow prado owners to try to check. Place your car facing nose first down a slight incline (bigger the better). Now the next morning when you start your vehicle if you get a puff or cloud of white smoke that is the first sign of bad news. This is caused by the copper injector seat/washers failing letting oil to pass when turned off and leak into the piston chamber. The following damage occurs as the exhaust gasses pass the injector seat it burns oil causing carbonisation. These little particles make there way back into the sump where they slowly block the pick up mesh. This in turns starve the engine of oil and KABOOOM!!! Not nice. This has occurred in some vehicles as early as 80,000km but mostly around 100,000 to 130,000km. I don't know whats causing this but there is heap of research and info too much for me to write. I found most of it on Pradopoint.com The next best thing at your next service or do it yourself, drain your oil. Leave it for 24hrs so all oil is drained. Get yourself a remote camera which you can get from auto pro (Bullant) is the brand i got. Turn the camera on and have a look up the sump only about 5cm. You should be able to see a shiny wire mesh. if its black or slightly covered. take it to your mechanic immediately and have sump removed and cleaned.
I drained my oil today after 5 hrs still slightly dripping my wire mesh was partially blocked because of my injector fault. Im checking again in the morning. So good practice that after every 20,000km check your sump. I service mine every 5,000km. Basically they can be a ticking time bomb. Another way is the cold rattle. Get your injector values checked too.

gspy4u

Apr 27, 2012
Ipswich
yeh fairly common knowledge for most prado owners these day, or at least the ones that talk to other owners. It was a design flaw with the copper sheets/seats at the base of the injectors. It was also a slack process from Toyota Australia for not doing the services properly and removing the injectors when they do the valve check. They simply did and audio check (listening) instead of pulling the injectors out, and then putting new sheets/seats (they call them both) back in. The problem would never occur if they had.
As a result they corroded and thus let gases and oil in both directions. Resulted in a clogged oil pickup screen which eventually staved the engine of oil and seized. Other issue is with the injectors, NOT just prado but ALL common rail modern diesels. Injectors are now classed as a consumable and have a limited life span. They have to do a lot of hard work with very high fuel rail pressures as opposed to the old mechanical ones. You must keep an eye on your injector feedback values, especially as they get older. If they go too far out of spec then they can over fuel the engine and as some have found, cause pistons to crack, etc.
If you keep an eye on things, do good servicing etc then you shouldn't have any real issues for a long time. Did 181,000k's on my original injectors and they were still within spec. Changed them just to freshen them up and preventative as well. Don't pay full toyota price for there's, shop around. Other choices for same Denso injectors both new and totally refurbished with tough like diamond coatings for way way cheaper.

Reactions: seanparky

seanparky

Jul 19, 2012
Brisbane
Well after letting the oil drain 34hrs i put the camera up the ol sump and yep sump oil pick up 3/4 blocked. Not happy but have just saved the engine going bang i hope. Used a seal pick ( sharp pointy thing) to scrape as much deposit i could of the gauze. It now off to the mechanic to have pick up cleaned properly then injectors checked and seal changed again. Taking to a different place and see if they are more professional and do a better job hoping to get more than 30,000km than last time seats were done.
below is a picture of what can happen not my vehicle tho.

Attachments

• 10584038_10152337386644624_5658152424145040420_n.jpg
    10584038_10152337386644624_5658152424145040420_n.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 4,490
  • IMG_1938.PNG
    IMG_1938.PNG
    361.2 KB · Views: 4,414

seanparky

Jul 19, 2012
Brisbane
I'm sure its now been fixed but the biggest thing is fuel. My father in law works for donaldson filtration, we took a sample of my fuel. 30ml in a glass look crystal clean. Now with common rail injection system the pressure is very high as up to 30,000 psi and can fire 4 times in one stroke. So injectors now are working harder and have smaller tolerances.
So any contaminants can effect the system. Here is my fuel sample. Not real good. The standard is 12 micron hence I'm having all my filters replaced and an extra 3 micron filter fitted. The problem is not in all the prados but is now well known. Read this as it mite help. These guys have the most information. I was going to buy there injectors but have spoken to 4 different diesel injector blokes and have all told me to stay clear. So I'm going to go with genuine for now but if it happens again i will go see them as they have shown the most research in the problem. Read this @chartrock .http://www.baileysdiesel.com/on-highway/what-causes-hilux-prado-clogged-oil-sump-pickup/#more-1461

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    440.9 KB · Views: 973
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    522.9 KB · Views: 984
Last edited:

seanparky

Jul 19, 2012
Brisbane
@chartrock Im a big believer in preventative maintenance and i service my vehicle every 5000km, 6000km at the most. Im just gutted with my self that i didn't use a camera for the last 3 services to inspect as I've taken it to a mechanic for a service. They don't use a camera. It just helps catch the problem. Its mainly from 2006-2010. As they were using copper washers, have since been changed but its not just the d4d engine there is a few more vehicles with common rail faults. As time has gone they are being noticed, its just there are more hilux's and prados in population. Most commonly around 80,000km to 130,000km. Pays to park down hill every now and then and leave over night. If you have a puff of smoke on start up you have a problem

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
@chartrock Im a big believer in preventative maintenance and i service my vehicle every 5000km, 6000km at the most. Im just gutted with my self that i didn't use a camera for the last 3 services to inspect as I've taken it to a mechanic for a service. They don't use a camera. It just helps catch the problem. Its mainly from 2006-2010. As they were using copper washers, have since been changed but its not just the d4d engine there is a few more vehicles with common rail faults. As time has gone they are being noticed, its just there are more hilux's and prados in population. Most commonly around 80,000km to 130,000km. Pays to park down hill every now and then and leave over night. If you have a puff of smoke on start up you have a problem
nice work I will be getting a camera and sticking up there too never thought of that top job !!!!!!!!!!!!!

seanparky

Jul 19, 2012
Brisbane
nice work I will be getting a camera and sticking up there too never thought of that top job !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thats why I've posted here to help share the problem before someone is up for $12,000 for a rebuild while on holidays. I'm now going to put camera in van as i did a service whilst in mildura. If i checked the pick up then i would have caught it sooner. Also because we travelled 5500km and being at a caravan park the ground is often level. So now going to make it a habit that once a month park down hill. Hope this helps. Also fitting a new 3 micron filters as the standard is 12 micron. to catch the smaller impurities. http://www.donaldsontoolbox.com.au/...13EPP001_P903316_3_Micron_Diesel_Fuel_Kit.pdf
USER=3649]@Bluey[/USER]

Last edited:

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Thats why I've posted here to help share the problem before someone is up for $12,000 for a rebuild while on holidays. I'm now going to put camera in van as i did a service whilst in mildura. If i checked the pick up then i would have caught it sooner. Also because we travelled 5500km and being at a caravan park the ground is often level. So now going to make it a habit that once a month park down hill. Hope this helps. Also fitting a new 3 micron filter. to catch the smaller impurities. http://www.donaldsontoolbox.com.au/...13EPP001_P903316_3_Micron_Diesel_Fuel_Kit.pdf
USER=3649]@Bluey[/USER]
thanks bro when u change the injectors is the problem solved with better injectors not using copper as homer Simpson says there are no stupid questions only stupid people lol

seanparky

Jul 19, 2012
Brisbane
the first step is to regularly get your injector values read by a scan tool. this will check the parameters of the injectors to make sure they are in specification. If they are ok and you have no smoke or deposits on your oil pick up your good to go. As mentioned by @gspy4u when the tappets are adjusted the washers should also be replaced. So if your on top of your maintenance than you should have no dramas. i unfortunately don't think my tappets have been adjusted as I've done most of the oil changes my self.

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
I would have thought that in this day age that all of the fuel stations would have filters that would take all of the contaminates out of the fuel.

seanparky

Jul 19, 2012
Brisbane
Doesn't take much at all now. Its being explained they are almost a consumable part of the engine, you just got to catch it first. I have been told the newer models have been fixed. What the fix is i would love to know. But all common rails are under extreme pressure. This is another interesting read that explains more..

http://www.baileysdiesel.com/on-highway/injector-failure-symptoms-causes/

http://www.baileysdiesel.com/on-highway/common-rail-injector-failure-mean/

http://www.baileysdiesel.com/on-highway/hilux-injectors-and-rattles-in-the-common-rail-engine/

Last edited:
Reactions: skippy

tej

Jun 9, 2016
qld
I have a 2008 hilux d4d 177000 on the clock I just brought it the other day had a pre car inspection done but the fella i brought it off heated the car up before the mechanic came so I got the all clear to buy it took it home, the next morning I go to drive it and it sounds like don't be rude! how do I tell if its the injectors making the noise, its a rattle knock and and it happens when I put the throttle down at about 2000 to 3000 revs mostly. it almost sounds like two different noises a rattle and a knock. the injector washes were replaced by Toyota at 100000

Reactions: Sammy D

Sammy D

Feb 14, 2016
Quirindi
Our hilux has done that from new, if it is only when it is cold it is "normal" for them.

I think ours is a 2008 model, when we got it we thought it was cactus and took it straight back but we're told it was fine. In any other vehicle that knocking sound is not good news!

Ours has well over 100k on it now and is still going fine, just take it easy for the first few minutes and give her time to warm up.

If the horrible knocky sound is there all the time then worry but otherwise take it easy and relax;)

tej

Jun 9, 2016
qld
thankyou makes me stress a little less. I took the car Toyota got a service and injectors checked, one of the injectors is running at positive 4.5 and one is neg 3 then the other to are good there ment to run between positive 2.5 to negative 2.5 so could this be creating a knock noise aswell I cant afford to get them fixed till tax so I'm not driving the car I'm scared it will die. or crack a piston or blow a hole in it if thats not already the problem and Toyota said its $1000 to get a compression test to find out!! just feel like ive been ripped off! the guy I brought the car off also wrote in the log books that Toyota serviced it every 10 thousand and I rang toyouta they said it had been there once.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
thankyou makes me stress a little less. I took the car Toyota got a service and injectors checked, one of the injectors is running at positive 4.5 and one is neg 3 then the other to are good there ment to run between positive 2.5 to negative 2.5 so could this be creating a knock noise aswell I cant afford to get them fixed till tax so I'm not driving the car I'm scared it will die. or crack a piston or blow a hole in it if thats not already the problem and Toyota said its $1000 to get a compression test to find out!! just feel like ive been ripped off! the guy I brought the car off also wrote in the log books that Toyota serviced it every 10 thousand and I rang toyouta they said it had been there once.
they can easy be doctored