17' Series vehicle lift?

Apr 6, 2015
mt barker sa
I have a 2014 150 series prado and now towing a 17.56 the rear sags a little and was looking at options to rectify this. I've seen the torsion bar set up on some heavy vans but was told by FnB 4x4 to just fit airbags on the rear of the car. Is this the best option?? What do you guys and gals use??

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hey @Daniel Peterson I also have a 2014 Prado 150 and am picking up the 17.56-2 OB in a couple of weeks, we originally had the Treg hitch on ours which comes standard through caravanland but changed this to a standard 50mm hitch, this now gives us the option to use the Hayman Reece WDH with the Standard 50mm hitch and balance the weight out across the Prado's front and rear wheels. you can also modify the Treg to use a WDH but for the majority of the travelling we will be doing the Standard 50mm is fine.

We also have upgraded the suspension on the Prado to a OME (Old Man Emu) 50mm 2inch Lift with heavier springs at the rear, so hopefully this should be enough for towing the van around, if not I will also install some airbags to beef the rear up a bit but using the WDH and upgraded springs should be enough I think.

If you have stock suspension then you will need to use a WDH or upgrade your suspension and install airbags, the 17.56 models are usually over the 2T mark when loaded so you are pulling quite a bit of load hence some mods should be done to get the best and smoothest towing experience.

Will let you know how our's goes once we pick it up, there are also a couple of other guys on here with the same vehicle and van which I am sure can provide some other info

Cheers

Last edited:

PeterV

Mar 25, 2015
Turramurra, NSW
Hi Daniel,
I have an NT Pajero with a 2" lift with heavy duty Lovells springs and Bilstein shocks. I have also ordered a 17.56-2 OB but expect to use a weight distribution hitch. My understanding is that even if the back does not drop down too much, a WDH helps spread the weight across the car and therefore improves steering and handling.

I'm also considering a D035 off-road coupling, as unlike the Treg, they can accommodate a Hayman Reese WDH without modification. (I'd disconnect the WDH on any rough roads.)

I'll soon be talking to the guys who service my car at Artarmon Automotives to see if they recommend any changes to my setup to accommodate the new van.

Hope this helps.

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
I would buy the WDH.
1) It can be cheaper than air bags.
2) You wont have to keep checking the air pressure of the bags every month (must be keeped at 8psi?? at all times)
3) It wont affect the ride of you prado when your not towing (I found bags give you a bouncy ride)
4) You should get better handling using the WDH (more weight on the front wheels)

Reactions: hamish22 and PeterV
Apr 6, 2015
mt barker sa
Thanks for the advice, i just spoke to a mate who tows a 3 ton van with his cruiser. He had heavy duty springs with polyair bags in his spings, he swares by them doesnt use anything else. I might try the bags and if need be get a WDH. I dont tow a lot and most stays are quite short so i think bags may be easier. I always check tyre pressures every few weeks so two more valves wont be a problem $500 fitted isnt too bad

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
while I dont have a Prado @Daniel Peterson my suggestion would be to fit heavier springs and shocks, as well as the airbags

I would not be relying on just the airbags with std suspension to keep everything "healthy" so to speak
the stock suspension is good for what it has to do - entice you into buying the car, and as long as you never go off road, or Tow with it - it will last the life of the vehicle

however, putting all that extra weight on the rear end will compromise the life and longevity of the std suspension

replacing the rear suspension is a very costly thing - but when spread over the ownership of the vehicle, its cheap insurance to "beef up" your rear suspension

I personally dont like Old Man Emu gear - it used to be good, now its cheap and nasty - (MY opinion)

a good all round kit from someone like Ultimate Suspension (in NSW somewhere) http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au/
- they used to use de Carbon Shocks -
(The de Carbon hydraulic shock absorber was invented in 1953, by Christian Bourcier de Carbon.[1] The De Carbon Company was also established in 1953, Today, the shock absorbers are mainly sold as a key aftermarket brand in European countries.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Carbon)

Tough Dog do good kits as well
a lot of people have said to go to Superior Engineering - http://www.superiorengineering.com.au/

I currently have Dobinson Suspension under my Patrol (with airbags as well) http://www.dobinsonsprings.com/

do some reading, and have a think about
how much towing will I do
how long will I have the car
will I take it off road
etc...

just some food for thoughts

Reactions: Axl and Smergen

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
@Daniel Peterson I was always a believer in the use of a WDH and you can tell the difference with and without them (Improved steering and even the braking felt better for some reason).

When we picked up our 17.56.2 OB last year with a 2004 120 Series Prado with standard suspension the rear end dropped more than I liked and could feel the light steering on the 40K trip home. (Trigg Bros hitch would not allow fitment of a WDH System).

Already had plans to fit a lift kit to the Prado and this gave me the winning argument with Mrs Dagree ;) Ended going with 35mm Heavy Duty Lovells springs and shocks including Polyair bags. This made the van sit up at the front so ended up getting an adjustable Hayman Reece shank and after a bit of adjusting (and with 26psi in the airbags) the Prado is sitting within +- 3 to 4 mms from original when hooked up :) And the van sits as level as I can get it!

Last edited:

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
I have a 2010 Pajero that I brought second hand 18 months ago and getting the suspension done was the best money I have ever spent on a 4x4, now I have done it once I will do it with any other 4x4 I buy in the future. I had the Pajero lifted 50mm with EFS springs and shocks put in and H/P Firestone airbags, it handles like it is on rails compared to the standard suspension.

I originally did the upgrade for towing my soft floor camper trailer which had a heavy ball weight due to the fact that I carried an 80kg folding boat trailer on the draw bar and it was the perfect fix. I never actually weighed the C/T ball weight so I am not sure what it was but the camper only weighed around a ton when loaded and was nowhere near as big as a van so a lot less wind shear.

I use a WDH for towing the van even with the upgraded suspension and air bags and believe me buying the WDH was worth every cent. When I brought the Expanda I towed it a few times without a WDH and I didn’t like the way it felt, even after adjusting the airbag pressure I wasn’t happy. H/P airbags can go up to 60psi but I couldn’t find the sweet spot so I invested in a WDH.

My Expanda has a ball weight of around 200kgs when fully loaded (could be more) and when the back of the Pajero is loaded with eskies, tables, chairs etc it turned out that this was too much even for H/P airbags to handle. They do a great job when I tow the boat as the ball weight is much lower but I found with the heavier weights the best fix was to use a WDH as well.

It is a matter of getting your set up right when I have the Expanda on I only have around 15-20psi in the bags and the WDH does the rest of the work. When I tow my boat I go up to 30-35psi to make the ride feel right. If you have the money (or can save up) I would do both, upgrade the suspension and grab a WDH.

Last edited:

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
Prior to suspension upgrade with camper trailer attached and similar weights in the Pajero as stated below, but obviously no tinny on the roof. The two black boxes that are on the roof in this pic only weigh 5-10kgs each, so back then I would have similar weight in the Pajero but less weight on the ball and on the roof and you can clearly see the suspension sag prior to the upgrade.
20141002_084902.jpg

After the upgrade with WDH attached fully loaded the Pajero only sags a touch however there is a fair bit of weight involved here. As I said the ball weight is at least 200kgs possibly more with the outboard motor on the draw bar, in the back of the Paj there is an 80lt esky full off ice and drinks, blow mould table, 2 large moon chairs, tackle box and small tool box. There is four or five cartons of drinks on the rear floor with two cartons of water and of course as you can see the boat loader and tinny on the roof which has a combined weight of 80kgs.
20150319_084529.jpg

Last edited:

Tonykarter15

Jan 23, 2015
Central Coast
I have a 150 series Prado and upgraded the shocks to Lovells with Polyair airbags & lovell springs. The overall improvement to the vehicle when it isn't towing anything is beyond words and with the van on the back, sits perfectly.

My parents also have a 150 Prado and they had their Prado suspension upgraded at Beresfield 4x4 and recertified to tow 3.0t with a 300kg drawbar weight. All legal and RTA approved. Their upgraded suspension I think was firestone airbags, Raw shocks & Kings springs.

If you really want to enjoy driving your Prado for the other 50 weeks of the year, I would do the suspension.

Reactions: Daniel Peterson

homerJ

Aug 30, 2014
The consensus over at Pradopoint is to fit raised height Kings or Dobinson Springs with Konis or Bilsteins. These combinations transform the Prado ride from good to fanbloomtastic.

Add airbags if you find you need them. I tow a 16.49OB with my Kings/Bilsteins raised height std rate and their is no need to use WDH or airbags. Though yours will be a little heavier hitch load so you may need the airbags but you never know till you see.

Reactions: Daniel Peterson

Curryhouse

Apr 8, 2012
Newcastle
My question is only a little related to this thread so apologise up front if it would be better placed elsewhere.
For Prado owners: I have just bought a 2014 Prado GXL (Toyota tow bar fitted) and am interested to know if you tow with the hitch in the normal or inverted position. On our first trip away, I started with the hitch in the normal position. The van (17 ft Windsor Horizon) was pretty close to level and I could open the rear door of the Prado. All seemed good however when trying to unhitch at our first stop, I found I could not remove the anti sway bars (four bars - two each side) from the fitting on the tow bar so that I could reverse the van. After a bit of swearing and cursing, finally got the van onto the site. For the next leg of the trip, inverted the hitch which made it easier to fit and remove the anti sway bars but prevented opening of the rear door with van attached. One suggestion I was given was to leave the hitch in the normal position and use the jockey wheel to raise the couple point enough to remove the sway bars. Acknowledge there are many and varied tow setups to suit individual's tug and van but would welcome any general comments.

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
What sort of weight distribution bars are you using? I use the Eaz-Lift system which utilises chains for the final hook up and to do this final hook up you need to lift the van and rear of the vehicle up (whilst they are hitched together) using the jockey wheel to make the process easier and safer, this is reversed when removing the bars, hope that makes sense.

You Tube is your friend

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
If you are going to run a WDH on Prado I would be making sure you have a hayman Reece towbar setup and not the Toyota genuine. Been a few issues with the genuine towbar parting company and the forces a WDH on it won't help.

Reactions: Bluey

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
My question is only a little related to this thread so apologise up front if it would be better placed elsewhere.
For Prado owners: I have just bought a 2014 Prado GXL (Toyota tow bar fitted) and am interested to know if you tow with the hitch in the normal or inverted position. On our first trip away, I started with the hitch in the normal position. The van (17 ft Windsor Horizon) was pretty close to level and I could open the rear door of the Prado. All seemed good however when trying to unhitch at our first stop, I found I could not remove the anti sway bars (four bars - two each side) from the fitting on the tow bar so that I could reverse the van. After a bit of swearing and cursing, finally got the van onto the site. For the next leg of the trip, inverted the hitch which made it easier to fit and remove the anti sway bars but prevented opening of the rear door with van attached. One suggestion I was given was to leave the hitch in the normal position and use the jockey wheel to raise the couple point enough to remove the sway bars. Acknowledge there are many and varied tow setups to suit individual's tug and van but would welcome any general comments.
wow I have a 2007 prado air bags only 2 bars on my WDH tows great just wish it was 3 tonne only thing that can hit my door is the jockey wheel but by that time im all undone and pull away 1756-2 outback

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
If you are going to run a WDH on Prado I would be making sure you have a hayman Reece towbar setup and not the Toyota genuine. Been a few issues with the genuine towbar parting company and the forces a WDH on it won't help.
@achjimmy the prado issue was with the 120 series towbars... I believe the 150 series ones were redesigned to fit the same, or similar, as the reece hitch ones.

Had ours checked by Toyota after hearing about the recall but ended up fitting a HR bar anyway

Reactions: bigcol and achjimmy