18' Series Upgrade from 17.56-2OB

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
Hey guys. We have recently had out fourth child (bit of a shock as first three were a challenge!!!) and we are finding our current 17.56-2OB a little cramped at times.

We are thinking of upgrading in the near future and I have been eyeing off the 18.57-9OB with the fixed triple bunks. We are thinking triple bunks as currently we have two kids in bunks, one on rear bed and baby in a camp crib on table converter. This is a hassle as we can't use the table without stowing baby bed and other gear.

What I am asking is does anyone have the 18.57-9 with the triple bunks and what do they think of it. Also how much room is there between mattress and the bottom of the bed above, is it cramped?

Your advice is appreciated

Pete

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha
Hi we have a 20 . 63 . 1 with triple bunks love it we like it more then the 18 as for the separate shower and toilet room between bunks is about 22 inches not a lot but the kids love it and at the end off the day they only sleep in it and I have sleeped in them as kids been sick and sleeped

Simon

Dec 28, 2013
Melbourne
What I am asking is does anyone have the 18.57-9 with the triple bunks and what do they think of it. Also how much room is there between mattress and the bottom of the bed above, is it cramped.

I don't have this van but we recently had a look at this version (before deciding on a 17.56-1) and my daughter who is 5 found it hard to get in/out of the middle bunk. She hit here head a few times trying to move into the space.

Have you thought about converting the main dinette into a bed or putting the little guys in bunk beds in the annexe in your current van?

A mate of mine has a touring 16.49-1 with 4 kids. He uses bunk beds that are easy to assemble and custom made mattresses, I think they are about 100mm thick which means they are light and can be stacked in the van easily, including the beds.

Last edited:

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
@Hubble80 Feel your pain we have 4 at least the last two came as a pair and now 2+ :). Looks like you have twins as well maybe twins in double and convert lower bunk to a baby bed? Maybe rig a wall in the middle of the double and sleep sideways.

I know we got the 17.58-1 Starcraft so everyone can have a bed eventually.
We going to try twins top to toe in the lower bunk and maybe cage them in :)
The three bunk ones seems very small we got the kids to try a few. The bottom on on the Starcraft would be useless for me although 7 year old climbs in no problems so gather be good for the twins for a while.

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
I don't have this van but we recently had a look at this version (before deciding on a 17.56-1) and my daughter who is 5 found it hard to get in/out of the middle bunk. She hit here head a few times trying to move into the space.

Have you thought about converting the main dinette into a bed or putting the little guys in bunk beds in the annexe in your current van?

A mate of mine has a touring 16.49-1 with 4 kids. He uses bunk beds that are easy to assemble and custom made mattresses, I think they are about 100mm thick which means they are light and can be stacked in the van easily, including the beds.

We have already converted the dinette for the baby. We find we are running out of room, so having the full van rather than the pop top means more cupboards also.

@Hubble80 Feel your pain we have 4 at least the last two came as a pair and now 2+ :). Looks like you have twins as well maybe twins in double and convert lower bunk to a baby bed? Maybe rig a wall in the middle of the double and sleep sideways.

I know we got the 17.58-1 Starcraft so everyone can have a bed eventually.
We going to try twins top to toe in the lower bunk and maybe cage them in :)
The three bunk ones seems very small we got the kids to try a few. The bottom on on the Starcraft would be useless for me although 7 year old climbs in no problems so gather be good for the twins for a while.

We are looking for something long term. We have tried the bed sharing thing and the twins muck about like no mans business at bed time!!! The oldest boy (5) and the boy twin (3) love having a bunk each at the moment.

@Hubble80
You know you need the Basestation right?

Haven't ruled this out either!!! I also like the 20 and 21 Expandas! More thinking to do I guess. Going on holidays soon, so will drop into some Jayco yards to check some out.

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
Yes we had the twins in the hired 16.49-4 double and they up and down all the time hence the Starcraft and one for each of them. We loose the dinette though

Looks like a very functional layout, however SWMBO insists on a toilet and shower!!!

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
Looks like a very functional layout, however SWMBO insists on a toilet and shower!!!
Ha ha I am the one thinking of toilet shower now wife happy without.
Maybe as I will be the one most likely doing 2am runs with the kids. Brought a porta loo today from the show.
Thinking shower tent in annex.

Have you looked at a new age mantra ray bunks if non Jayco ;)

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
It's a nice van but I'm not sure that it can sleep six. I was almost tempted with this van until I realised I couldn't get it under the carport!
It's my fav van, been around the show a few times this weekend still come back to this one. Same the last two shows we been too. We cannot fit it in length ways. I really like this and the Basestation. Same problem with both they putting in the front gates today so then we set for just under 8 meters.
Mantra Ray couch goes down for extra bed although leaves you almost the same position loose seating. Although my thoughts was a mattress on the floor like the slide out shorter in front of triple. Have the same idea with the Starcraft we have a few blow up beds around.

Reactions: Simon

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
Well a bit of an update. The shed should be up week after next. I actually got it 13m long, so no issues fitting a BaseStation now!

Since showing my wife the Starcraft 22.68-1 that @relgate just bought, she really liked the layout. We will get the three bunks obviously but we are wondering about where to sleep the fourth child. We are wondering how much customising Jayco do? We are thinking of asking if we can put a tri-fold bunk above the dinette, same as our Expanda. Does anyone know if changes like this can be done through Jayco?

We are still not discounting the BaseStation or the 21ft Expanda either.

Reactions: relgate

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Lots of decisions!
Both the 21 and base station are awesome. You can lock the kids away with both which is cool. It will be interesting to see if they will put the dinette/bunk in the 22 starcraft. It would mean moving the usual spot for the switches and possibly changing the window but its a good idea.
let us know how you get on

Reactions: davemc