20' Series Upgrade 17.56 to 20.64

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
Thinking of upgrading from a pop-top to a full caravan.
It will be a Jayco.(Value for money)....It may not be a present model and I may put things off...

Has anyone upgraded from a 17.56OB to a 20.64OB.

Is there anything that has enhanced your choice or disappointed you?

Apologies to forum chatters, I'm just after opinions from those that may have done this specific upgrade.

JaycoQ

Jan 7, 2013
Highton, Geelong, Vic
We did the same upgrade.
Pros.
  • Separate toilet/shower
  • Quieter, especially when windy
  • Loads of extra storage
  • Cabin like feel
  • Quicker set up
  • Concertina door separates kids in evening
Cons
  • Weight
  • Lose one side of front boot because of hot water service but boot is larger.
We wouldn't go back to a pop top, mainly because of the ensuite.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigcol

Michael & Sam

Jun 10, 2013
Geelong Area
Did the same as JaycoQ - 17 was a good van.....20 is great. Size is the biggest con and will need a good rig to tow. Storage is great - no more bags as everything packs away into cupboards. Had no issues getting sites at parks. Much warmer in cooler climates.

Reactions: bigcol and JaycoQ

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
Weight/Fuel economy isn't really a factor for us, so the fuel expense difference is irrelevant. The ensuite layout and extra storage is what is presently looking really appealing... The pop-top upgrade with a curtain to the toilet seems like a downgrade.

Reactions: Bellbirdweb

JaycoQ

Jan 7, 2013
Highton, Geelong, Vic
Weight/Fuel economy isn't really a factor for us, so the fuel expense difference is irrelevant. The ensuite layout and extra storage is what is presently looking really appealing... The pop-top upgrade with a curtain to the toilet seems like a downgrade.

Curtain? Is that on the 18 or 20. Ours has a concertina door to the ensuite. Has this now been changed to a curtain?

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
We upgraded from a 16.49 to 20.63. Not quit your upgrade so ill stick to poptop to full height issues we found.

The overhead cabinets in the 20 are much taller than the poptop. But we found the extra height is lost space and useless without a middle shelve. Going from poptop to full height we lost all the very convenient "top of overhead" space that we used when the van was set up. Things like sunglasses hats cameras chargers books coffee sugar booze etc lived up there when we were camped

All the stuff we had up there, needed a new place ... and intially ended up on the kitchen bench. Our initial thoughts were that the 20 had a smaller kitchen bench space and less convenient storage over all

We've gotten used to it now and no longer miss it, but we cant leave out all the things we used to have on top of the poptops overheads.

The full height is also much quieter ... and shorter. The lower roof on the full height took some getting used to. A cool breeze after a hot day cools the poptop much faster with the skirts open. The full height can stay stuffy even with all the windowd open

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Not sure of which model but a lot of the poptops have a curtain.

Our poptop doesn't.

Which ones have you seen?

I totally agree with Crusty...for a change....cupboard space and height of cupboard are definately different and less useful (to us at least) in a full van and our poptop ensuite is great!

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
I think it was the 18 that had the curtain?
Been to the local Jayco dealer....looked at the 20...storage space is amazing.....Ensuite is so much better.....Club Lounge is huge and push it out the side 6 inches for a short stop for access everywhere.

Had a few beers (me) , a few wines (JoM)....and after all the fuss decided that we'll keep the 17......Apart from lack of storage space its a great van. The big thing is.....we were outside the van having the drinks and thought.... why spend the extra 30G? We spend all our time outside when we are caravanning anyway.

Deciding factor.......... the larger van wont fit in the front yard of the inlaws so our Christmas/New year holidays would be screwed up....Will revisit the decision in a couple years.....

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Sounds like a reasonable decision.

I agree in Qld that we spend most of our time outside....and it's usually great weather.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Deciding factor.......... the larger van wont fit in the front yard of the inlaws so our Christmas/New year holidays would be screwed up....Will revisit the decision in a couple years.....
I would of thought this was the deciding factor to get it as you get out of inlaws :) he he he he

Yes $30k.. We spent just under $20k from 17.58 to 22.68 and I kept asking myself was it the right thing to do.

Reactions: dagree

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Deciding factor.......... the larger van wont fit in the front yard of the inlaws so our Christmas/New year holidays would be screwed up....

I would of thought this was the deciding factor to get it as you get out of inlaws :) he he he he

I know I would have sold a Kidney for the extra $30K

Yes $30k.. We spent just under $20k from 17.58 to 22.68 and I kept asking myself was it the right thing to do.

and what is your thoughts @davemc - much better.............?
after buying a newer Car, I would hazard a guess to say you love it...........???

Reactions: dagree

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
@bigcol really our upgrade was as the twins Asthma was getting to bad in the cold and wet nights they had somewhere in the van to go. If we a ensuite model would of kept the old van. 4 kids we did not buy the ensuite model as did not want two on a dinette together :) Also I had to move fences around out the back for more room as the 17" was originally tight. Always a compromise.
The 22 is a lot roomy van then the 17 :) the island bed is great the extra room nice, when we setup the annex and its bigger then our whole old van at 19" magic. Was under $20k.. Although it sort of pushed the end of the D3 so yes new D4 we just got. If you add the $ of both we would of knocked off a bit of home loan a lot at full $'s and all the camping crap you get.
Rather have the memories now, I know my sister budgeted etc to pay of her loan quicker although kids only young once.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
It's all a matter of priorities isn't it?

I know, at times, I now regret working the hours that I did just to get the mortgage down as quickly as possible so sacrificed getting away time for that.

But then, if I hadn't done that then, I wouldn't have the chance to do as much now so it's the old compromise.

I think it's great seeing the increasing number of young families out on the road, enjoying family time and caravan parks are catering more and more for that market. As long as they leave some available for older farts, sans kids, I'm happy!

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
After last Christmas we have decided our Christmas holidays are going to be reorganised from now on so................. Anyone know how soon the 2017 models will be out for display??? The way Jayco works they would have changed something for the sake of change that will make us not do the upgrade....