17' Series Uncomfortable Innerspring Mattresses!

Flossymk1

Apr 29, 2014
Brisbane, QLD
Love my new van, but HATE the innerspring mattresses! They are hard as nails, and I've tried a quilted mattress topper, and then I tried a foam underlay, and I still haven't been able to get a good nights sleep on it.... I wake up constantly feeling sore all over, and am stiff as anything and bleary-eyed by the morning :(

I've read a few posts on the forum already, but wondering if folks on here are some more recent info/solutions to this problem? Is it worth asking Jayco to replace them, or will I end up with the same thing again??

I don't think hubby would go for getting custom-made ones done up ($$$), but I need to do something!

Van is a 2013, 17.56-2 model.

Help please!!

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
We had a thick latex topper. Got it from dealsdirect.com
We found the mattress was ok but the join was not. In our case the 2 main sections were different densities and different heights. We pushed hard and had the mattress replaced under warranty and the new one was perfect.

Flossymk1

Apr 29, 2014
Brisbane, QLD
We had a thick latex topper. Got it from dealsdirect.com
We found the mattress was ok but the join was not. In our case the 2 main sections were different densities and different heights. We pushed hard and had the mattress replaced under warranty and the new one was perfect.

Yes our joins are not "even" either - particularly the rear bed mattress.. Just had a look on Deals Direct but they don't have any queen size ones at the moment. Pillow Talk have a memory foam version, so I might go and check that out locally tomorrow.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
We also use an eggshell foam unlerlay on the mattress and it has improved it, but it isn't like home.
I know Jayco used to supply foam mattresses and the innerspring was an upgrade option, but now they are standard.

There was a user on here who was/is an upholsterer who was offering to custom make some foam ones.

Reactions: Flossymk1

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Sounds good. I should point out that for us the topper did not really help with the join. It was only when we got the new mattress that it was all good.

Good luck!

Ken Bennetts

Nov 1, 2013
Going through the same issue myself now.
We have a 2014 14.4.4 with the newer two piece mattress. The smaller section is about 220mm thick and the wider section 140mm.
I think that it is using a inner spring for a folding mattress. Both sections have different resilience sure to varying thicknesses.
You roll into the zip section. Due to the stiff perimeter around the two mattresses it is like sleeping on a 19mm plank on edge.
If you stay in the allowed section the mattress is uncomfortable for side sleepers.
Have considered raising the small section to the same height as the wider section and going for the middle zip mattress as discussed by others on this forum.
I think that due to the method used to manufacture inner spring mattresses you would still have the plank up the middle.
Have tried pillow tops and packing under the smaller mattress to no real effect.
I am now planning to raise the seat section and exploring foam solutions.
This would be a double mattress split in two up the middle and both covered. A zip or hinge may not be needed.
Either foam alone or laminated up with foam below and memory foam on top.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Flossymk1

Apr 29, 2014
Brisbane, QLD
Sounds good. I should point out that for us the topper did not really help with the join. It was only when we got the new mattress that it was all good.

Good luck!

It's more the hardness of the mattress that is uncomfortable for us at this stage, although will certainly raise the question with our local Jayco dealer re the join!

Dede

Mar 12, 2014
Bellarine
Hi Flossymk1 we don't have an innerspring mattress but our foam mattress is 13 years old, I have a laytex overlay from Clark Rubber that we had on our camper trailer, last caravan and now in the expanda. Laytex is great, no bottoming out, no sore hips etc and laytex doesn't go mouldy, another possibility when sleeping under canvas. Wasn't cheap around $210 years ago for a queensize, but in my opinion very worth it. PS I can keep it on, under bottom sheet and still pack up bedend.

Flossymk1

Apr 29, 2014
Brisbane, QLD
Hi Flossymk1 we don't have an innerspring mattress but our foam mattress is 13 years old, I have a laytex overlay from Clark Rubber that we had on our camper trailer, last caravan and now in the expanda. Laytex is great, no bottoming out, no sore hips etc and laytex doesn't go mouldy, another possibility when sleeping under canvas. Wasn't cheap around $210 years ago for a queensize, but in my opinion very worth it. PS I can keep it on, under bottom sheet and still pack up bedend.

Thanks for that Dede, I've just been reading up about latex toppers - it looks like Clark Rubber have different options in terms of thickness, and yes I was wondering what the limit of thickness would be before it would make folding the bed up impossible...

The eggshell stuff I bought was just a cheap one from Big W, so I'm also wondering if perhaps I should have got a better quality one?

jacbaz

Feb 6, 2011
Eastern Suburbs, Melbourne
The best thing we did was to build up the bed and buy a new mattress - we have the most comfy nights sleep not - not sure how to post the thread but if you search
Our 2008 12.37 bed reno ...
You will find some photos - if anyone knows how to link it, feel free!!!

Dede

Mar 12, 2014
Bellarine
Hi Flossymk1, since it's such a new van, I would really try to get a replacement mattress from Jayco, they seem to be pretty reasonable with their warranty. You could see if anyone has had a foam mattress replaced with an inner-spring and they may have the foam one in stock classed as second hand, you could possibly give it a test run??? Any way you don't know unless you try!!

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Thanks for that Dede, I've just been reading up about latex toppers - it looks like Clark Rubber have different options in terms of thickness, and yes I was wondering what the limit of thickness would be before it would make folding the bed up impossible...

The eggshell stuff I bought was just a cheap one from Big W, so I'm also wondering if perhaps I should have got a better quality one?
Our latex topper was bulky but I could leave it on the bed for pack up by folding it away from the sides.
Here is the label for your info
20140525_174523.jpg

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
We were pretty happy with our first try of the mattress in our 2014 21.61-1 but my wife did find it a bit hard.

We are looking at a latex topper from IKEA, but storing it is the only issue. They don't really fold up and take up a lot of space.