Exterior TV mount on outside

spiderpig

Nov 7, 2015
Canberra
Hi All,

Wondering if anyone has fitted a TV mount on the outside, where all the TV aeial and 12v sockets are? Was just going to put a mount plate there, screw and sicka flex it on and use a arm on it with TV when i want to?

spiderpig

Nov 7, 2015
Canberra
2915 wnp, so fiberglass walls. Bloke at jayco said there won't be a stud through it, just sandwich composite material.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thought so, if you have a cupboard or something on the inside opposite where you want to have the TV then you could fit a backing plate inside and using a nicely machined alloy plate glued to the outside wall with the TV mount bolted thru it to the internal backing plate would do a wonderful job, look good and not try to eat the wall......using a plate on the outside wall increases the surface area of the TV mount so less chance of digging into the wall surface when it's loaded up, using a bracket without an arm or a very short arm would also lessen the wall loading......It would need a backing plate on the inside for sure as the walls wouldn't hold.

I got my TV bracket from Bunnings but it is a small unit and screws to the metal frame of Big Mal, they do have a variety of units which would do the job and less cost than a van shop.

Reactions: millers

spiderpig

Nov 7, 2015
Canberra
Will have a look on the inside. Where i want to put it on the outside is approx where the kitchen and cupboards are on the inside, so a plate could work with access through the cupboards or draws.

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I think thats the best way, alloy plate big enough to provide a wide area for the load spread and a nicely tooled bit for outside would enhance things, well thats my thoughts and what I would have done, Sikaflex them as well................I would have thought some others would have chimed in.

spiderpig

Nov 7, 2015
Canberra
Had a look and i could probably get access to the inside for a plate.
But I'm starting to think Peel rivets and sikaflex will do the job...

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The right Sikaflex, some decay in sunlight but peels, there's really not much substance in that wall sheet and the foam is stuck to both sheets.

Brougham

May 22, 2016
Perth, WA
www.customphoto.com.au
i just mounted mine on the weekend, as mine is a 2011 i could take the fridge vent out, and i run a piece of heavy angle vertically internally that the mount bolted to through the external wall. spreads the load nicely over a fair length and holds it really stable. plus lock nuts for the win.

Brougham

May 22, 2016
Perth, WA
www.customphoto.com.au
quick pic

Attachments

• 2018-12-15 13.30.57.jpg
    2018-12-15 13.30.57.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 232

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Had a look and i could probably get access to the inside for a plate.
But I'm starting to think Peel rivets and sikaflex will do the job...
Jayco walls are polystyrene sandwiched between cheap 4mm ply, so zero holding capacity

A 24in Kogan TV weighs around 2 kg, if your not intending to use a bracket arm, not drive with it mounted and just mounting it like @Brougham's pic then Polyurethane or Polymer adhesive and peels will be ample

Reactions: mfexpanda

spiderpig

Nov 7, 2015
Canberra
Jayco walls are polystyrene sandwiched between cheap 4mm ply, so zero holding capacity

A 24in Kogan TV weighs around 2 kg, if your not intending to use a bracket arm, not drive with it mounted and just mounting it like @Brougham's pic then Polyurethane or Polymer adhesive and peels will be ample

How thick is the outer fiberglass sheeting?

I was planning on using a basic arm. Just for the tilt function though and won't be swinging it out, so the moment arm would be negligible. And would certainly never be driving with it or the arm still on.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The inner and outer ply is probably 3mm with styro sandwich, the outer ply has a Gel Coat to seal it, you can cut a hole in it with a Stanley knife, I wouldn't use peel rivets, they would get styro under them and in time movement which would possibly show up as cracks in the Gel Coat as the load is concentrated.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
How thick is the outer fiberglass sheeting?

I was planning on using a basic arm. Just for the tilt function though and won't be swinging it out, so the moment arm would be negligible. And would certainly never be driving with it or the arm still on.
The fibreglass is sheet and a couple of mm thick, and bonded to the 4mm ply which in turn is bonded to the polysterene.

I could probably get a pic of it if it helps