Electrical Truma rooftop aircon does yours heat?

Dandy

Jan 18, 2014
I'm not too worried as long as it works well as an aircon. If we're plugged in to power a small heater is no drama. It was just annoying to discover that the deficiency in the heating function ourselves. Full disclosure would have been nice!

Racer

Jun 17, 2014
NSW
we wanted a 150l Waeco or Engel fridge in ours when we ordered it, but no. Even though they would have fitted into the same size cutout as the standard 3 ways.

As has been said, they don't do different.
If the air con was a standard cut out, get them to put the roof frame in so that the air con you want can be installed at a later time.

BJ

Have used this type of fridge before BJ?

Very heavy on the batteries, they certainly work better but it was always a stress free camping when there was cloud.

I did read the Truma didn't heat under 4 degrees. We often camp in the low single digits.......

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011

Very heavy on the batteries, they certainly work better but it was always a stress free camping when there was cloud.

I did read the Truma didn't heat under 4 degrees. We often camp in the low single digits.......

What turned me of the compressor fridge finally was the noise. I know the Waeco is pretty quiet but it's near your bed and in the dead of night I reckon you'd hear it. I know you do the engel as have a mate with knee in a van.

Racer

Jun 17, 2014
NSW
What turned me of the compressor fridge finally was the noise. I know the Waeco is pretty quiet but it's near your bed and in the dead of night I reckon you'd hear it. I know you do the engel as have a mate with knee in a van.

It's quiet, the only noise is the fan cooling the compressor cycling on and off. This didn't worry us much but I could understand if you were to sleep on it. As much as I liked the fridge it was just too heavy on the battery. With the expanda I just stuck with the 3 way.

The 3 way is not suppose to be as efficient or effective as a compressor fridge in humid areas. I run an Evakool in the car for the necessities in life to combat that issue if it were to arise.

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.

Father in law does his own Motorhomes and what he always used. We ended up staying with the three way and to be honest we are glad we did. It is working brilliantly for us. It has saved us on having a second battery as we always free camp. 3-way convert. Mind you we still have our 40l Engels (*Try posting a bit more so your post isn't boring*) for extended trips.

BJ.

Racer

Jun 17, 2014
NSW
Engels will never let you down @Bmhdg76

There doesn't seem to be much talk on the Truma having heating issues in colder climates on the web. It is a genuine concern for us as we will need to use it below 4 at times.

Maybe put an oscillating fan blowing on the Truma compressor? :angel:

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
I was concerned after reading this thread last week as we planned a WA get together at Toodyay just North East of Perth and it's in an area where temps get low this time of year.
According to our inside/outside thermometers Saturday night got down to 2 degrees. We had the Truma set to 24 and the inside temp stayed a constant 22 degrees over night. Hope it keeps doing this for all trips!

Reactions: Racer

seanparky

Jul 19, 2012
Brisbane
Im at Ballarat at the moment. Mine in a 17.56.2 stopped working. It was 4 am when i woke up cold -2.7 outside. Have learned also when below 4deg its struggles as a split system draws heat from the outside and is a bit hard when its below freezing. Mite have to invest in a portable heater fan i think. Glad we have thermals and extra blankets