Electrical Truma rooftop aircon does yours heat?

Dandy

Jan 18, 2014
Our first real test of our Truma roof top airconditioner was on Queens birthday, temps dropped to -1 c and we found the reverse cycle kept resetting. The unit would stop and then start up again making quite a lot of noise. The manual does say the heater would reset. It is ridiculous that the heater function won't work in the cold! Should this be a warranty claim?

Is this a well known issue? My mate's older cabinet mounted unit just ran....blowing out warm air! Considering there were at least 6 more expandas in our caravan park (Porepunkah Big4) I would be amazed if the heaters all kept stopping!:smow:

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
All reverse cycle air conditioners will freeze up at some point, it's not uncommon but 7 or even 4 degrees is a bit average. The cabinet ones work because they use a heating element not reverse cycle.

Reactions: Dandy

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Yes a worry we also found we had to put it up higher then we wanted for heating.
Ran it on 30 and it got too hot.
Do not think it got that cold down Bellarine I know the people in the Swan said they ran theirs all night as they where cold.

Dandy

Jan 18, 2014
Thanks for the feedback guys. Should I complain to Jayco? It seems kind of stupid to fit this model to caravans in Vic. The rooftop aircon was promoted as an improvement. If there was an option of a better model I probably would have paid (a reasonable price) for an upgrade.

BLJM

Nov 7, 2013
chirnside park
We ran ours all weekend at Halls Gap. The wife left it running over night but by morning it was blowing cold air but then would be fine when started it back up in the arvo and work a treat again. On the last night through the night it started to get extremely load so turned it off. Started back up in morning and still loud, sounds like a bearing going or something so has any one had that problem before? Not 12 mths old yet so guess it will be going back to jayco

MBC004

Feb 3, 2014
we used ours in northen NSW that same weekend, heating was fine, got really hot inside and outside under 8c.

the problem I had was water leaking out of the led lighting on the side of the aircon - will get this looked at in a couple of weeks

Reactions: achjimmy

KevO

Aug 12, 2013
Cobar NSW
we were in crookwell over the long weekend and had the same issues, (2deg at 9pm) once it changed over to defrost the outside unit that was the end of the warmth. Rather disappointed with it, shuts down when you need it the most.

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Sounds like the Ibis is the go and not the Truma then. Mine is just the heron2.2 wall unit but handy to know for next time.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Sounds like the Ibis is the go and not the Truma then. Mine is just the heron2.2 wall unit but handy to know for next time.

you don't get a choice apparently anymore, Adventa is the AC for 2014

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
Surely if you requested it and were prepared to pay a small premium they would come to the party, after all if it means the difference between a sale and the customer going elsewhere then I'm sure they would be accommodating.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Surely if you requested it and were prepared to pay a small premium they would come to the party, after all if it means the difference between a sale and the customer going elsewhere then I'm sure they would be accommodating.

What like wanting to pay for a window in the kitchen ....no, or wanting to pay for a hatch under the bed......no, or wanting 265 tyres instead of 245 ... No, installing a tri fold bunk like the 17.56-2 instead of fixed... No.

Lol over the last few years Jayco have got very selective about modifying away from there standard.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
What like wanting to pay for a window in the kitchen ....no, or wanting to pay for a hatch under the bed......no, or wanting 265 tyres instead of 245 ... No, installing a tri fold bunk like the 17.56-2 instead of fixed... No.

Lol over the last few years Jayco have got very selective about modifying away from there standard.
I guess that is the price of mass production.

Reactions: achjimmy

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
we wanted a 150l Waeco or Engel fridge in ours when we ordered it, but no. Even though they would have fitted into the same size cutout as the standard 3 ways.

As has been said, they don't do different.
If the air con was a standard cut out, get them to put the roof frame in so that the air con you want can be installed at a later time.

BJ

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
we wanted a 150l Waeco or Engel fridge in ours when we ordered it, but no. Even though they would have fitted into the same size cutout as the standard 3 ways.

As has been said, they don't do different.
If the air con was a standard cut out, get them to put the roof frame in so that the air con you want can be installed at a later time.

BJ

Wow I never realised they wernt do compressor fridges anymore! They must really have it in for Dometic ? We looked at not getting A/C with our current van but getting the H frame for later. They wanted $650 just for the frame! I can't recall what it was the whole A/C upgrade but it wasn't much more.