17' Series Towing a Jayco Expanda 17.56-1

James

Jun 17, 2014
Considering buying a Jayco Expanda 17.56-1 and currently have only a Subaru Forester to pull it.
What size motor/vehicle would I need to tow it?

Would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks - James

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Well you wont be towing it with the Subaru, you'll want a vehicle that can tow a minimum 2500kg.

Oh! and welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

Gibbo

Mar 17, 2013
Bayside
I would say get a Nissan just to add another one to the list. Every one has an option on this go with what best suits your situation. But as bushman said you will need tow and a half ton towing. Oh it's a great choice of van!

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
A diesel vehicle is preferable and when looking compare the Nm Torque of the vehicles. Don't be misled by Kw.

What's your budget? New or used?

Reactions: Matty4

rjstokes

Jun 5, 2013
Perth, WA
I think a few of us have been down this road. 4 Cyl car but want an Expanda, get a Swan instead, cars still a bit of a struggle, get a bigger car, buy and Expanda, sell the Swan etc. My advise would be to not undercook the tow vehicle. It takes a fair bit of fun away struggling down the highway burning tonnes of fuel. We've been through two cars until I felt comfortable! We've now got a Triton dual cab which we love, throw the bbq, bikes, boogie boards in the tub, hitch up and off ya go! Could be worth looking at the Caravan Association towing Guide (its on here somewhere under technical I think). That lists each vehicle and its tow rating. But for a 17-18 foot Expanda you'll be wanting a turbo diesel ute or 4wd really I'd guess. Good luck!

Reactions: relgate and Simon

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
A RWD Terry will do it too.

We have a touring 17.56-2 and the 2300kg of the Terry is fine.

Forrester won't do it and won't be legal, so your van and car will be uninsurable not to mention unsafe.

Sorry to sound a bit harsh, but honesty is the best policy in this regard.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Before we all give advice, we need to know your wants and needs from the car.
Do you need 7 seats?
Do you need a 4WD?
How far do you plan on travelling from home?
How many times a year will you tow it?
Will it be a dedicated tow vehicle or will it double as your's or your wife's daily?

All these will help determine a suitable shortlist for you to look at and try.
A budget also helps narrow things down a bit too..

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
Gday and welcome to the forum. I was in same situation we towed our old Swan with our Tarago no problem.

When Mrs Pace said we'll get a bigger van, then sold Suby (beloved Forester), and got the Pathy. All good now, 7 seater for our large family and tow van with people to accomodate also. Happy days.

Pace.

Reactions: brotys

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
@James - This sounds very familiar to a thread I saw somewhere else on here....

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/looking-for-a-truck-to-tow-the-new-van-17-56-2-ob.5328/

@Matty4 has asked all the right questions as you need to narrow down your criteria or else you'll go around in an endless loop of vehicles that can easily tow it but compromise on other requirements.

Once you have some more guidelines, I'm sure the suggestions will come thick and fast. It's a great and knowledgeable resource this forum with lots of great tips.

Mark L

Jul 6, 2014
No hesitation in recommending a Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel....570nm of torque....fantastic tow vehicle and a plrasure to drive.

Mark L

Jul 6, 2014
Without caravan around 8lkm on long run...9.8lkm around town...towing 14lkm. Worth checking out as not just a real nice drive but very responsive, comfortable drive & packed with features depending on which model including air suspension. Had a Territory before - nice vehicle but soft suspension in my opinion.

Petecaz

Jun 26, 2014
We have a 2008 pajero. Tows really well. Economy around 12 - 14 l per hundred with van at about 100 km/h. 10 l per hundred not towing. Pajeros are not mentioned much on this forum but I would definitely consider this as an option.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
We have a 2008 pajero. Tows really well. Economy around 12 - 14 l per hundred with van at about 100 km/h. 10 l per hundred not towing. Pajeros are not mentioned much on this forum but I would definitely consider this as an option.

Some of us are just a little slower on the uptake @Petecaz :p

Izzya123

Mar 18, 2011
Mount Martha, Victoria
Mark L said:
No hesitation in recommending a Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel....570nm of torque....fantastic tow vehicle and a plrasure to drive.
Totally agree. If you dont need a 7 seater, Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel. 3.5 tonne, 570nm. Cheaper than the AWD with more features. Check em out, youll be surprised. I was. (Nearly bought a bloody Colorado!!) o_O

Reactions: Bmhdg76