Journey Tow Vehicle. Landcruiser 200 vs Ford Ranger 3.2 Vs Landrover Discovery 4 vs Landcruiser 76

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Overseas Isuzu been putting 1.9l engines in for emissions.
Currently still the 3.0 in the Dmax/Isuzu/ BT-50.. Although who knows the future
We are doomed, no diesel Grand Cherokee, no diesel in others either and a decent V8 petrol is going to be rare as well ......... 2lt twin turbo chook chasers are just rubbish.......... have to look for some old style machines that will do the distance, these new vehicles won't go the distance like a G60, BJ40, FJ55........ plastic doesn't last that long............. a J10, F100 or even a C10, eats fuel like buggery but they are still alive.

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
Geez my 3 Jeeps may go up in value! Tow vehicle is a 2010 WH GC diesel 190000klms nil problems towed all its life.2011 WK GC Overlander diesel in NZ for the 4x4 trails and touring.Plus 2015 GCSRT 6.4 hemi 60000 ks which has gone up $15000.00 since late last year,no more to be imported.Off Sat for an old mates hook up at Palm Cove CP Cairns.Test my patience with all the halfwits on the road ,the ones that really erk me are the idiots who do 75-80 ks on the highway then leap into life in the dual passing lanes.

adamsurf76

Dec 25, 2021
Camden
Hi Guys,
I am looking at upgrading my Expanda 18 which has an ATM of 2623kg to a Journey 19 (with 600kg payload) which may have an ATM of 3000kg approx. My 2011 Triton will not be up to the task let alone be legal once both tug and van are loaded.
So therefore it will be a double upgrade.
The options are:
DISCOVERY
Currently my wife drives a Disco 3 petrol (which has had a few reliability issues with electric handbrake and the air bag suspension playing up over the years). I am planning to do a 3 month half lap next year and I am sure the Disco will be able to tow the van ok, however the petrol will be an issue.
I would love to trade up the Disco 3 to a Disco 4 TD. The trade up price is very attractive however the reliability poses an issue as well as convincing my wife. Upgrade change over price may be around $40k

FORD RANGER 3.2L DUAL CAB
Being a builder I need a dual cab for work with full canopy, rack and draw system. I have this exact set up on my Triton and it works a treat. Had the Triton since new and it has not missed a beat. My business partner drives a Ranger Wildtrack which I have driven a bit and its a brute. The power is fantastic when comparing to the Triton.
The GVM on a Ranger is 3200kg and the GCM is 6000kg. Can do an upgrade to increase GVM to 3800kg and GCM to 6800kg for around $6000.
This is a serious option as I can upgrade the work car to a Ranger XLT with a few modifications to suit with the GVM upgrade for around 60k less trade in / sale of Triton $20? Upgrade change over price around $40k

LANDCRUISER 200
Reading heaps of posts here and speaking generally to people that the Landcruiser is the ultimate 4WD travel towing vehicle.
Reports on the reliability is very attractive. BUT THEY ARE SO EXPENSIVE!
I have always purchased a car with no more than 60,000 kms on the clock. For a LC that would mean a price around $70k.
Or 100,000 kms + for around $55k (but 10 years old)
I like the space in the cabin which I am sure the kids and wife will appreciate.
The GVM upgrade is cheaper than the Ranger at around $4400.
Trade in / sell our Disco 3 for around $15 and purchase LC for say $60. Change over price of $45k.
Definitely worth a consideration. However, will be buying an 8-10 year old car.

Will be interested if anyone has any of the above vehicles with their thoughts and experiences.

Cheers!
Hi mate just with the Ranger is it definately 3800kg GVM upgrade if so do you mind me asking where from as im keen?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Usually a GVM doesn't mean you can carry anymore just that you could possibly be legal........
Some states allow GCM upgrade after first registration some don't, most allow GCM upgrade before first rego.... some are still making up their minds , been ongoing for a few years.
A MOD Plate must be fitted or you have wasted your money.
Upgrade of GVM doesn't mean an automatic upgrade of GCM, may mean your tow capacity has dropped.
Some GVM upgrades will actually mean you are over the axle load which isn't a paper figure like all the rest its a real one and axles do not like being over loaded.
Having a vehicle running at max GVM/GCM really means your flogging it and should have bought a better combo.

Rule of thumb 3500t tow cap means 2.8t or an empty tug and work from there........................ Rule of Thumb is a base line to work from not a definitive.

adamsurf76

Dec 25, 2021
Camden
Usually a GVM doesn't mean you can carry anymore just that you could possibly be legal........
Some states allow GCM upgrade after first registration some don't, most allow GCM upgrade before first rego.... some are still making up their minds , been ongoing for a few years.
A MOD Plate must be fitted or you have wasted your money.
Upgrade of GVM doesn't mean an automatic upgrade of GCM, may mean your tow capacity has dropped.
Some GVM upgrades will actually mean you are over the axle load which isn't a paper figure like all the rest its a real one and axles do not like being over loaded.
Having a vehicle running at max GVM/GCM really means your flogging it and should have bought a better combo.

Rule of thumb 3500t tow cap means 2.8t or an empty tug and work from there........................ Rule of Thumb is a base line to work from not a definitive.
Hi mate disagree with some of your answers i have had mine done here in NSW GVM and GCM on my Ford Ranger and with engineers certificate which i then had to take to RMS. So yes through Lovells both are updated. Dont need a MOD plate as such as its listed on my rego papers so i havent wasted my money.

Reactions: Bluey

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Hence why I said

Find it strange no blue mod plate fitted to vehicle could be a problem when selling or put over a scale interstate ........ but then its NSW ............. but the selection of vehicles able to get this job done is limited............... Be good if everyone could sing from the same song sheet though.

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Are you kidding @Drover we carnt evan get covid rules right what hope have we got of getting song books in the same language so all states can sing same words following the same music at the same beat fat chance NEVER !!!!!!!!
While vic is in 2nd vers qld just started NSW is in 1 st vers WA refused to sing SA asked to read it and not sing
Tassie asked what's going on I missed the memo Canberra is just playing the music and not singing but there playing a different tune such a waist of money the state politicians super councils led by a president run like business not cash cows with an endless money pit
OK I mite stop now
Happy with my Gvm .. Gcm up grade Lovelles 200 series they must be good 90% of cars in this park are 200s
Giddy up Merry Christmas

:congratulatory: :congratulatory: :congratulatory: :congratulatory: ....... Well I hope the working of a National Covid rule doesn't go on for as long as the Transport Compliance saga has, its been going on since the 1930's I think, a bit like the railways gauge cluster .......The national Truck regs is a hotch potch bit of confusing rubbish....................
Latest bit I read of the Federal statement on GVM/GCM's was GVM change is okay but GCM is in the too hard basic so its a state matter...... so depending on the state as to what can happen and when, along with interpretation of said regs.......
Mate who had his 79er chassis extend, axle widened with GVM/GCM upgrade had it done before plated and in 2 states to get the blue plates needed to register, its a cool truck for sure.... think he had the work done in VIC and QLD to get NSW plates..... have to be keen.

Confusing too that my Grand has no GCM so if you go by the old GVM plus Tow Cap I have a GCM of something like 6.5t ........... Engine would do it but hell chew fuel like a Cruiser.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
I've got a good idea lets get a toad to eat the cane beatle yea that will work
Nothing's changed
My cruiser is OK on fule @Drover I'm carting around near 6 tonne if not bit more don't care who says what no one's getting great figures hauling that into wind up and down hills all over the place if anyone wants great figures go to a gym or don't tow anything buy a 4 cly Hyundai stay in cabins ......my car and others tow easy with the v8s tourqe that's why we buy them a friend here has a petrol v8 still chews fule but tows very well

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
V8 petrol beats a V8 diesel any day @Bluey , its all about the noise ..... If fuel burn is a big worry you shouldnt have one.....I know how much stuff you carry, your Cruiser has to be gutsy to carry it all.. :bounce: :bounce: :behindsofa:

Reactions: Bluey

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
I have a 2015 Grand Cherokee SRT with 500 hp hemi up front.Forgot how a good V8 on song could turn men into boys!10 litres per hundred with a light foot on the freeway,seen near 25 litres per hundred with full throttle up the gears
Last had that feeling when drove out of a Ford dealership in Sydney in a brand new Falcon Phase 3 .!
The fuel injection guy who put new injectors in my 2010 GC diesel at 210000 ks said Toyo diesel Hiluxs and 200 v8s needed new injectors from Around 170000 ks, 200s $1000each plus many needed new or recon hp pumps as well.
he also said many new 200s and Prados were having problems with dusting !,which is dust going through the OE aircleaner!
Had a great run with my Jeep GC diesels ,would I change to petrol for towing,could be on the cards.!

Reactions: Drover

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I have a 2015 Grand Cherokee SRT with 500 hp hemi up front.Forgot how a good V8 on song could turn men into boys!10 litres per hundred with a light foot on the freeway,seen near 25 litres per hundred with full throttle up the gears
Last had that feeling when drove out of a Ford dealership in Sydney in a brand new Falcon Phase 3 .!
The fuel injection guy who put new injectors in my 2010 GC diesel at 210000 ks said Toyo diesel Hiluxs and 200 v8s needed new injectors from Around 170000 ks, 200s $1000each plus many needed new or recon hp pumps as well.
he also said many new 200s and Prados were having problems with dusting !,which is dust going through the OE aircleaner!
Had a great run with my Jeep GC diesels ,would I change to petrol for towing,could be on the cards.!
Toyota is just the poster boy for air cleaner filter issues, its more wide spread than just Toyota.

• Haha
Reactions: mfexpanda

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Toyota is just the poster boy for air cleaner filter issues, its more wide spread than just Toyota.

They are all having issues it seems, I think a lot is just poor servicing, few mechanics but lots of Technicians...... crawled around a heap of car yards last week, 79's won me along with the base RAM and I was partial to the new Defender as the shopping trolley..... Its not really a Defender more like a Discovery on Steroids.....Cudos to the German Nissan it was rather nice.

Reactions: Crusty181

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
The aircleaner dusting problem has been happening even in new Toyos,both 200s and the Prado .This has lead to
engine problems .Toyo state that an aircleaner fix is not on the cards yet.!just stay away from dusty conditions.!I have wiped the inlet of the Jeep Grand Cherokee with a white tissue ,clean as.!

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The aircleaner dusting problem has been happening even in new Toyos,both 200s and the Prado .This has lead to
engine problems .Toyo state that an aircleaner fix is not on the cards yet.!just stay away from dusty conditions.!I have wiped the inlet of the Jeep Grand Cherokee with a white tissue ,clean as.!
It would be easy enough to find just lift the lud and do the tissue test, then again lots only know how to fill with fuel.... On one of my old jiggers or maybe bike ?!? I added a bit of window foam seal did a great job and the old cruiser with lots of water crossings ahead an oily thin sheet of foam was added, stopped atomised water soaking the paper element, a camp fire thought that actually worked well.

Jeep has a very good seal, need some pressure to close the lid at first.

Lozza T

Aug 13, 2016
Melbourne
I test drove a 2019 LC76 on the weekend and it was fantastic. It was actually fun to drive. The engine sounds awesome and I don't mind the 3 pedals at all. (been driving my Triton for 10 years with 3 pedals) The gears seem quite unique and the changes are quick. In 1st gear you don't even have to accelerate and the car takes off.
Immediately when I sat in the drivers seat it reminded me a little of my old 95 Disco V8 petrol. The high driving position and the view from the upright front windscreen makes a significant impact.

The interior is basic but really its no different to my 2011 Triton which is fairly basic. Compared to my wife's Everest well there is no comparison. The Everest is pretty plush and the new Ranger would be the same. I have no doubt that I would be happy with the Ranger and it would suit all my needs with towing but also with work (building site manager). But I just think I would be happier in the Land Cruiser 76. I do like the rugged design and the history of the 70 series. I also like the fact that they are simple with no suspension sensors, electronic handbrakes etc (experienced lots of pain with my 08 disco replacing sensors, 2 handbrakes, list goes on...)

That engine is a cracker. I'm thinking if Toyota discontinued the V8 in the 200 they may do the same with the 70's. Might be a lucrative investment possibly.
Now what colour do you think? White, Silver Pearl, Graphite?
Hi everyone.
I thought I would give an update on the tow vehicle situation. I placed an order for a silver 76 last July. Delivery is still unknown. At this stage it could be March/ April or even May. I will receive 2 month notice.

I had a moment of spontaneity last December and came across a GU7 Patrol with only 32,000 kms on clock, had a GVM upgrade, was in excellent condition and well priced. So I bought it. I towed the van to Prom and it went ok. A little sluggish up hills but was fine on flat roads. I was fully loaded. I was 100kg under ATM at 2.9t in van and was the same in car at 2.9t before tow ball weight which ended up being at 300kg. GVM on the Patrol is 3495kg so the numbers work.

20220101_093051.jpg

What I like about this car.

Number 1 Pro is the space. I have 3 kids who are growing quickly. I had my 13 year old and 8 year old in the 2nd row each with an armrest and 10 year old in the 3rd row. Kids love the set up which is very comfortable for long trips. Up front is also quite roomy.
It has low kms, the seats have had black duck seat covers on them their whole life so it's in mint condition.
It already has GVM upgrade, has a 2in lift, has BF KO2, tow bar bullbar, tinted windows. It even has air conditioning on every row of seats!
I also like that it is a very capable 4wd that we have to also hit the tracks with.
And it's less than half the price of a 76 and is already set up.
And it actually looks pretty good.
20211220_070441.jpg

What I don't like, it's not a Landcruiser and it does not have that V8.
Also there is a lot of negative talk about the ZD30 engine.

So my initial plan was to buy the GU, see how it goes on the summer trip and the sell it when the 76 arrives. I could probably sell it for the same money considering the 4wd market ATM.

So I have a dilema. In a few months time I will have to decide on 1 of these vehicles.