Journey Tow Vehicle. Landcruiser 200 vs Ford Ranger 3.2 Vs Landrover Discovery 4 vs Landcruiser 76

Brente1982

Oct 7, 2019
Epping
Don't get too caught up in thinking you have plenty of GVM to play with with some of these vehicles. You'll quickly run out of payload on the Lc200, same with the Patrol. Every vehicle suffers massively from weight issues one way or another these days. Add 4 passengers, some gear, couple of accessories and bam you're over very quickly

Reactions: Drover

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
Reading the RAM forums people who have gone from a 76 to a RAM say the RAM is a lot more economical amid other things, pity the V6 ranger is so far off did you ever consider a Y62 I’m convinced my next vehicle will be petrol with all the junk they ad to diesels now

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Reading the RAM forums people who have gone from a 76 to a RAM say the RAM is a lot more economical amid other things, pity the V6 ranger is so far off did you ever consider a Y62 I’m convinced my next vehicle will be petrol with all the junk they ad to diesels now
@DRW, you will then have to add a tanker of petrol to your GVM if you want to pull large vans with a petrol tug!!!

Reactions: Brente1982

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Add 4 passengers, some gear, couple of accessories and bam you're over very quickly

It always has been an issue , just that people are more aware nowadays, they still don't understand though........ 800kgs of carry by the time it leaves the dealers with your bull bar, extra battery and side steps its only 600kgs, then they put a roof rack and boat on top, add 3 pax and thats about it........
did you ever consider a Y62

I do like the Patrol but had a look at a smicko 100 series and would like to roll back the clock in some ways........ petrol with minimum sensors be nice.

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
The patrol uses roughly the same amount of fuel as a 200 or a 76 series towing even the 5.7 petrol jeep has similar fuel usage it’s when not towing the pain can be felt of course that all depends on the right foot!!

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
The 70 series cant really be compared to much else on the market for many reasons. If you have a Ranger high on the list and its relative luxury, buttons, lights and sexy lines, im not sure you (or the chief) will be impressed by the 70. Everyone's favourite obnoxious twat John Cadogan did a mindless comparison btw a Prado and a Troopcarrier .... a comparison with a Ranger is much the same. There is simply no comparison. I can only encourage you to drive a 70, and more importantly tow with one. I love my 70, but it's that very unique combo that only the 70 provides which suits my needs. They are very old school, and when you buy one you suddenly realise you had no real idea just how old school they really are. When I bought mine in 2019 I was offered a new fleet LC200 for $80k flat, so the options were there and I still stuck with the 70. In hindsight I possibly should have bought the LC200 drove it for 2 years, sold it for a significant profit and bought a new 2021 LC70 this year. Ha

They do hold their value, and if history repeats in 20 years someone will pay big bucks for my 70 and will still be driving it around, well after the worthless Rangers ( and other dual cabs) are stacked 10 high at the wreckers.

PS 800kg payload on the 76

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
They are very old school, and when you buy one you suddenly realise you had no real idea just how old school they really are.

Makes me feel 25 again when i climb into one them.............. To show how much better than the modern Tonka Toys, mate in Nowra got his oldTroopy flushed down Ettrema Creek years back, dragging it out, tied to tree for a week until floods dropped, came back, towed it home, pulled seats and stuff out, drained engine, gearbox, diffs and fuel tank, flushed and refilled and away she went, gave body a new paint job and it was like new and is still running around, something that a modern fancy dancy truck could never do without a bucket loads of money thrown at it............

If by Old School you mean functional, reliable, can do and go damn near everywhere if you know how to drive, then yes I agree, most would recoil in horror at the 3 pedals..............lol,lol,lol................... Damn I feel the urge to start looking for an old Landy 110 or a FJ40 circa 82 model............

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
New car, $75k off the boat (plus plus plus), only 18mths old and it still needs a wheel chock at the boat ramp. If you see this as a design fault and not just one of the many quirks .... then a 70 is probably not for you. :D

20200730_123905.jpg

Reactions: Drover and davemc

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
My old Ute has a similar chock, it has a cord attached so when I drive away from the ramp it drags along behind until I'm on the flat and it gets chucked back in the tray, boat and trailer worth more than the ute though.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Don't get too caught up in thinking you have plenty of GVM to play with with some of these vehicles. You'll quickly run out of payload on the Lc200, same with the Patrol. Every vehicle suffers massively from weight issues one way or another these days. Add 4 passengers, some gear, couple of accessories and bam you're over very quickly
I paid 3900 plus extras got new upper control arms and rear panyard rod for my lovells gvm upgrade on my 200 now i have 500 kg more plus increased Gcm same towing and ball weight well worth it tows like a dream oh and air bags heavy duty dropped a 20 footer on the car the other week dropped 15 mm on the rear

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I drop 23 foot of Big Mal on the Grands tow ball and it only drops that much until the shocks pump it back to ride height........ didn't have to spend a cent....
:It's a Jeep Thing"....................... 8-) 8-)

Lozza T

Aug 13, 2016
Melbourne
When I bought mine in 2019 I was offered a new fleet LC200 for $80k flat, so the options were there and I still stuck with the 70. In hindsight I possibly should have bought the LC200 drove it for 2 years, sold it for a significant profit and bought a new 2021 LC70 this year. Ha
Yes, I could have purchased a 2017 LC200 GXL with under 50,000 kms last year for $69k but now they are asking for this same car $90k+
Its gone crazy out there!

Lozza T

Aug 13, 2016
Melbourne
I test drove a 2019 LC76 on the weekend and it was fantastic. It was actually fun to drive. The engine sounds awesome and I don't mind the 3 pedals at all. (been driving my Triton for 10 years with 3 pedals) The gears seem quite unique and the changes are quick. In 1st gear you don't even have to accelerate and the car takes off.
Immediately when I sat in the drivers seat it reminded me a little of my old 95 Disco V8 petrol. The high driving position and the view from the upright front windscreen makes a significant impact.

The interior is basic but really its no different to my 2011 Triton which is fairly basic. Compared to my wife's Everest well there is no comparison. The Everest is pretty plush and the new Ranger would be the same. I have no doubt that I would be happy with the Ranger and it would suit all my needs with towing but also with work (building site manager). But I just think I would be happier in the Land Cruiser 76. I do like the rugged design and the history of the 70 series. I also like the fact that they are simple with no suspension sensors, electronic handbrakes etc (experienced lots of pain with my 08 disco replacing sensors, 2 handbrakes, list goes on...)

That engine is a cracker. I'm thinking if Toyota discontinued the V8 in the 200 they may do the same with the 70's. Might be a lucrative investment possibly.
Now what colour do you think? White, Silver Pearl, Graphite?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Silver Pearl, yes please............................................... the other bonus is fitting of stuff is a lot easier, can just drill a hole almost anywhere.........

Reactions: mfexpanda

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I test drove a 2019 LC76 on the weekend and it was fantastic. It was actually fun to drive. The engine sounds awesome and I don't mind the 3 pedals at all. (been driving my Triton for 10 years with 3 pedals) The gears seem quite unique and the changes are quick. In 1st gear you don't even have to accelerate and the car takes off.
Immediately when I sat in the drivers seat it reminded me a little of my old 95 Disco V8 petrol. The high driving position and the view from the upright front windscreen makes a significant impact.

The interior is basic but really its no different to my 2011 Triton which is fairly basic. Compared to my wife's Everest well there is no comparison. The Everest is pretty plush and the new Ranger would be the same. I have no doubt that I would be happy with the Ranger and it would suit all my needs with towing but also with work (building site manager). But I just think I would be happier in the Land Cruiser 76. I do like the rugged design and the history of the 70 series. I also like the fact that they are simple with no suspension sensors, electronic handbrakes etc (experienced lots of pain with my 08 disco replacing sensors, 2 handbrakes, list goes on...)

That engine is a cracker. I'm thinking if Toyota discontinued the V8 in the 200 they may do the same with the 70's. Might be a lucrative investment possibly.
Now what colour do you think? White, Silver Pearl, Graphite?
A converted disciple to the mighty 70, well done that man.

I cant help you with colour, Toyota anticipated I may struggle with that so offered up only 3 to keep the anxiety in check. One is the worlds least fav colour, and another other looks like poo.

If you like the sound of the engine, a 2015 may be a better option with the shorter 5th gear causing the engine to be pinging around 2500rpm on the highway :D

LC200 is dead, LC300 well into production with paddocks full of them and their V6 engines. Apparently the emission control issues are company wide, and not specifically related to individual models ie ditching the LC200 V8 allows the LC70 to keeps its V8 for the short to mid term. A toyota spokemans (the car wash guy) told me that Isuzu could struggle with the D-Max because Isuzu's bottom line is so heavily weighted in diesel trucks to reduce emissions in that sector the D-Max in the short term may be the casualty.

(The car wash guy know heaps of other stuff to ..... he told me some interesting stuff about @Drover 8-))

Reactions: mfexpanda