Tools to carry

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
Can anyone advise as to whether Jayco use metric, A/F or a combination of both. Also, are there any special tools that you would advise carrying. We're in Darwin and have to pick up the van in Adelaide in August so I'd like to narrow down what to take with us, even though Management may not approve of the quantity of my choices.

Phil

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
I bought one of those counter lever toolbox kits from mitre 10 (similiar to below) and have added fuses, lamps, bits of wire and anything small that I have pulled off when upgrading. Even the bolts from the original hitch. its gets harder to close each time, but I know I have everything i need for both the car and the van.
tools.JPG

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
I basically have the same tool box as big man but I carry a few extras as well, see below

Self amalgamising tape - for leaks on hoses for van and car
Gaffa tape 50mm wide
Electrical tape
Duct tape
Multi meter
Test light
Asorted plastic zip ties
Also I carry fuses and wire like Bigman too

I find I am always adding something new each time I go away too, so now I also carry a spares box as well.

Ch00ka77

Apr 28, 2012
Maffra VIC
Phil I would take the correct screwdrivers if you need for what ever reason you need to dismantle you're trailer plug Also I would take a air compressor and a plug repair kit if needed but all in all a simple toolkit being metric should give you some comfort. good luck.

Reactions: skippy

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
I have everything mentioned by all, and a lot more, somewhere in my shed but as I don't have a road-train I'll have to downsize somewhat. I have a couple of socket and spanner sets that are combo metric/AF that could be halved if no need for one type. I could add hammer/s, hacksaw, files, torque wrench, vise grips etc etc, never ending.
BTW, Bigmans toolbox is something I haven't seen since 1968 when I was given one resembling it as a Trainee.

Phil

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
I have everything mentioned by all, and a lot more, somewhere in my shed but as I don't have a road-train I'll have to downsize somewhat. I have a couple of socket and spanner sets that are combo metric/AF that could be halved if no need for one type. I could add hammer/s, hacksaw, files, torque wrench, vise grips etc etc, never ending.
BTW, Bigmans toolbox is something I haven't seen since 1968 when I was given one resembling it as a Trainee.

Phil
LOL!!! I might be able to take a roller cab now, having the Basestation and all!!

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
PhilD,

Gday. Have a search through the forum, pretty sure there is a thread all ready going for tools to carry.

Otherwise just look at what gets used while away and what you'll need to rectify. Yes sounds simple though i agree, you can end up carrying heaps of tooling.

Duct tape, silicone, cordless drill-assorted drills, 5min araldite are all ways good to carry too.

Bet there is some spare space behind the rear seat in your Ranger, hah!!! Cheers Pace.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
I love cable ties (all sizes) And the magic repair tape that Skippy mentioned.
Got Mrs XF her own tool box now she likes to do the stabilizers and screw in pegs with the rechargeable impact wrench. With the wrench, bars and sockets, selection of coach bolts, plus the awning clips and tie downs it's quite presentable. No issues then having my own tool kit.
Visits to Bunnings now include both of us checking out the tool section for bargains.

Reactions: skippy

borstalboy

Apr 17, 2012
Northern Subs SA
I too must get around to buying a van tool kit. I think I will just look around for a kit in one of those plastic carry cases. Because the chances are if its not in the case I probably wouldn't know what to so with it anyway.

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
I know I've been guilty in the past of carrying too many tools/spares, but I just can't bring myself to dramatically change an old habit. I've been made fun of by friends I've travelled with, but they changed their tune if I threatened to not use my items on them after they asked for help. I really should have charged for my time. I used to carry a big box in my old Range Rover and decided just before a trip to throw in the coil spring compressors and snapped a coil a couple of days later and saved a lot of money doing it myself in a strange town. A couple of road side repairs to a fuel system half way between Kingoonya and Coober Pedy when it was still dirt and 45deg makes you value self reliance in dangerous conditions.

Phil

Reactions: Xpandafan