Toolbox on drawbar

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Anyone here put a toolbox on a standard length drawbar on an 18? Not worried about the gas bottle side of things I can sort that out :). Thinking of putting an Apex one on that someone did recently.

Cheers Geoff

Feb 21, 2014
Wimmera in Victoria
Hi Geoff, we have a standard drawbar on our 16 ft expanda and my husband made a tool box to fit, without moving the spare tyre, only the gas bottle was shifted outwards slightly. Take a look at Arapiles campers, In Mt Jayco page 2 for the pictures. Sorry not sure how to bring that post up for you. Good luck with your decision.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Don't know what the differences are between the 17 & 18 drawbars, but I've got one on the front of my 17 with standard drawbar.
Pics in my Jayco thread.

Red1

Sep 14, 2013
Emerald Qld
View attachment 38987 View attachment 38988 View attachment 38989 View attachment 38990 View attachment 38987View attachment 38987View attachment 38988View attachment 38989View attachment 38990 View attachment 38988 View attachment 38989 View attachment 38987 View attachment 38988 We mounted the new box on the drawbar today. It has sliders for the generator and the webber. I will be able to cook on the webber while it is on the slide. Once it is slid out, the gas bayonet is then plugged in. Them generator will have to be taken out though as it will be under our bed. The gas cylinders and regulator have been mounted on the front of the box.​

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
We mounted the new box on the drawbar today. It has sliders for the generator and the webber. I will be able to cook on the webber while it is on the slide. Once it is slid out, the gas bayonet is then plugged in. Them generator will have to be taken out though as it will be under our bed. The gas cylinders and regulator have been mounted on the front of the box.

Hi @Red1 . Your pictures are exactly what we are looking at having, except we want an engle on one side.
Do you find the weight difference between the BBQ and the generator a problem?? Also what dimensions is your box? Thanks

Red1

Sep 14, 2013
Emerald Qld
Hi Smirke, it is 2200 long, 600 wide and 500 high, but I recessed the drawbar into the bottom about 30mm. this allows the front bed to open as well as allow room for the generator to fit. . I don't think the weight difference will be an issue. The generator only fits with 5mm to spare.

Reactions: Smirke

Red1

Sep 14, 2013
Emerald Qld
Oops, I was fixing up the photos and deleted them, so here they are again in case you needed another look Smirke

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,723
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    902.2 KB · Views: 996
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,088

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Oops, I was fixing up the photos and deleted them, so here they are again in case you needed another look Smirke
Thanks @Red1 . I actually took screen shots ........just in case. I gather yours is the on road van, as you don't gave OB after the numbers. Hoping ours can be 600 high. I will go out tomorrow and give it a measure.
Would love to know how yours has affect the tow all weight too. Our spare is mounted on the back now, so we have extra lightness up front now.

Sorry, just took a look at the pics, you do have the outback.

Last edited:

Red1

Sep 14, 2013
Emerald Qld
No ours is an outback, I forgot to put the numbers on. When I get it out next I will take a couple of better shots with the bed down etc

Jemmo

Feb 25, 2016
Bendigo, Vic
Hi @Red1 , that box looks fantastic and just what I was looking for to go on the front of our 16.49-3 when it arrives (looking fwd to more photos when you get it out).

Is it custom made (I assume so), and if so would you be willing to share the dimensions/specs so that I could get my local fabricator to copy?
Cheers

Powelly

May 22, 2013
Hi, hopefully some people out there can answer these questions for me regarding toolboxes on the drawbar.

I'm looking at getting a custom box made, as I have a standard draw bar with a Weight Distribution Hitch. So none of the pre fab boxes will fit. One company has quoted me for 1.6mm marine grade checker plate. Is this tough enough or should I go thicker ?

Also I was planning to mount it simply by bolts through the existing welded on platforms that the gas bottle holders bolt too. I'm worried whether this will hold up as we are planning a trip around Oz including a fair bit of corrugations including the Gibb River Rd.

Thanks in advance. Tony

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Hi, hopefully some people out there can answer these questions for me regarding toolboxes on the drawbar.

I'm looking at getting a custom box made, as I have a standard draw bar with a Weight Distribution Hitch. So none of the pre fab boxes will fit. One company has quoted me for 1.6mm marine grade checker plate. Is this tough enough or should I go thicker ?

Also I was planning to mount it simply by bolts through the existing welded on platforms that the gas bottle holders bolt too. I'm worried whether this will hold up as we are planning a trip around Oz including a fair bit of corrugations including the Gibb River Rd.

Thanks in advance. Tony
Thickness should be ok if custom made and they do a good job. I am going to mount mine through the gas bottle tabs with bolts as you are. I have put some ply inside mine to help strengthen a bit. Some people have put ply underneath as well?

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
@Powelly I would go 2.0 to 2.5mm minimum depending on the length. I bolted ours through the existing gas bottle base with a plate inside the box (Not just bolt head and washer). The front of the box had up/down flex so added extra bolts and plate under the drawbar tube (Similar setup to a u-bolt). Front bolts and angle can be seen in the first two pics halfway down THIS PAGE.

Would also recommend either a sheet of marine ply between the box and drawbar or a strip of rubber as a minimum to allow for a bit of flex if required.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
@Powelly I would go 2.0 to 2.5mm minimum depending on the length. I bolted ours through the existing gas bottle base with a plate inside the box (Not just bolt head and washer). The front of the box had up/down flex so added extra bolts and plate under the drawbar tube (Similar setup to a u-bolt). Front bolts and angle can be seen in the first two pics halfway down THIS PAGE.

Would also recommend either a sheet of marine ply between the box and drawbar or a strip of rubber as a minimum to allow for a bit of flex if required.
Ive duplicated @dagrees box mount. Long 300mm gal plates inside the box bolted through gas bottle plates. The front of the box is a fair distance in front of the gas bottle plates and flexed upwards a lot at the front. I "U" bolted around the chassis more plates inside the front of the box. My box is 2.5mm. I would have preferred 3 or 3.5 but the off the shelf imports are mostly 2.5mm

Reactions: dagree and bigcol