The What Did You Do On The Weekend Thread!!

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
snip........
though if the AGG doesn't work out well, may have to re-think and run concrete wheel tracks.

or get several bags of cement from the "green shed" and put that down on top of the Agg.
wet it down first, then sprinkle everywhere (dont be shy with it either)

in the areas that the wheels of the van will be, and maybe a patch in the middle where you think you may want to work - once you had layered with cement, and got it soggy, trowel it over for smooth-ish finish............

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
or get several bags of cement from the "green shed" and put that down on top of the Agg.

in the areas that the wheels of the van will be, and maybe a patch in the middle where you think you may want to work - once you had layered with cement, and got it soggy, trowel it over for smooth-ish finish............

funny you mention that, was only thinking the same thing today

Reactions: dagree

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
we did it at one mine site I was at, the trolleys used to get bogged in the mud...........
put a heap of course & light Agg down,

then everytime it was going to rain - dump a heap of cement all over the place
eventually, we "concreted" about 100m2 in between all the sea containers.........

Reactions: dagree and Bushman

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
funny you mention that, was only thinking the same thing today
Or... embed some of those concrete blocks along the wheel track.
Look at this site for ideas that may be useful
http://pavingexpert.com/grasspav.html
image.jpg
Except you will have gravel rather than grass.

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
if the AGG doesn't work out well, may have to re-think and run concrete wheel tracks.
In our case we already have a combination of paving and concrete strips under the carport attached to the shed out the back yard. Only trouble with crawling under the van is dodging the surprise packages left everywhere by the free range chooks. Need to have a few roast chicken meals.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide

With the weight of the van, that will probably crack and break up fairly quickly though. For a weight of 1 Tonne+, you would need a compacted base and then a reinforced concrete slab with a thickness Of 50-100mm. The concrete in my back yard started to crack under the weight of my van, <50mm but reinforced ie built for normal backyard use, not heavy vans. Check with a professional for suitable/recommended construction for concrete slabs to suit the van. Your solution should work provided it is compacted but may need the blocks I mentioned above to stop the wheels from digging in.

Reactions: cruza driver

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
image.jpg

I had a big day cleaning yesterday. After our 2 week stint in Warrnambool I treated the van to a clean. The whole works with pop top skirt, mattresses removed and wash the canvas ends and privacy screens and the end jambs, wash awning top and bottom. Because we packed up in the rain I washed all the annexe walls and hung in the shed, and removed the carpet tiles and pressure washed. Well worth it I recon , it scrubs up well.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Mrs CR wanted to go "gramping" with the grandchildren so the new Journey was packed for a shakedown trip 20 minutes from home at the Canungra showgrounds. Daughter and 2 grandsons (3 and 18 moths) plus son with a pigeon (girl 8 and boy 5). Set off Sunday morning, arrived around 9:30 and set up. Daughter arrived soon after and we spent a couple of hours setting up her tent and gazebo and tarps. Had them pretty well set up when son arrived with camper trailer. About this time I found that the side screen supplied as a freebie with the van was a foot short (13' long instead of 14') and finished nearly a metre above the ground. It was promptly packed back up for return and replacement so we had no screen from the awning. Then the rain started and it rained most of the afternoon.
Next morning was cloudy but we went to the creek for a swim for an hour or so and number 2 son turned up with his two daughters. He is not a camper, he wont sleep under any more than 5 stars :D but came along to meet up with the family. Finished the swim, went back to the van and the rain started again, just bucketing down. Number 2 son packed wife and kids in the car and went home, the rest of us sat around under what shelter we had with 4 kids who didn't want to be cooped up in small areas. When the rain finally eased a couple of hours later the grounds were either under water or slimy sticky mud. The kids had their gum boots but would want to go into the tent or camper when they were 2-3 inches taller with mud so parents were beside themselves trying to keep them out or to take their boots off. The van was a no go area for the kids.:boxing-25:
This morning (Tuesday) was more of the same so packed sons camper and got him away, then started on the daughter's tent while the rain came and went and came back again. This was done while Mrs CR nursed 18 mth old and argued with 3 year old as to why he couldn't play outside or inside the tent and had to stay in the undercover area (camp kitchen) out of the way. About 2:00 PM she manage to get away with a lot of her stuff spread between our truck and son's garage to be picked up at a later date. Mrs CR and I had a quiet cup of coffee then closed the van and headed home.
When we arrived I went to take the van up across the front yard as per normal but hadn't counted on the amount of rain that hit the Gold Coast. The truck pulled the van up most of the way then just slid sideways down the slope and came to rest with the rear left guard up against a tree. It was going nowhere so I unhooked the van and tried to climb the truck up but it was going nowhere and just ripping up the grass. Finally with a mat under the wheel and some playing with the forward / reverse I manage to get the truck out, notwithstanding some rather large gouges on the front lawn and the van still sitting in a drain at the front of the block with its nose rather close to a tree which will make it difficult to get out so I will probably wait for things to dry out a bit. Fat chance as it has been raining on and off since we arrived home and more is promised for the rest of the week.
So, my first effort at "gramping" has left me with a dented rear guard on the truck, a van stuck down the front of the block and a chewed up front lawn for all the world to see. All this after spending a wet three days with 4 kids, one of whom grizzled and whinged if he couldn't have his own way. I could say 'Never again' :frusty: but it will happen again, just have to hope for better weather.:humble:

A couple of pics before the rain started.
DSC_8700.JPG

DSC_8701.JPG

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Great write-up @chartrock :encouragement:
Shame about the weather and slight damage on return..... But that's just part of "Gramping" ;)

Doing similar with the oldest and her 4YO in a fortnight (All in the van though).... Going on previous history It's bound to end up with some precipitation while away but will never say "Never Again" :)

Reactions: chartrock

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
look on the bright side @chartrock you had your family together for a little while

not often that happens..........
You're right mate, but old age is a terrible thing. :faint:
Its funny @chartrock I was picturing exactly what you were saying as I was reading and was chuckling away to myself :D until the damage on the Nav no one likes to hear that.

I don't think this trip will ever be forgotten :thumb:
Definitely never to be forgotten. :fear: I can smile a bit about it now but every so often I look out the front and see the van at an angle on the nature strip, one set of wheel in the open grassy drain, and my smile fades away. It is just too soggy out there to get anywhere near it and more rain and storms are predicted later today. Mrs CR insists on waiting for the ground to dry a bit but I feel the van will start sinking into the ground.
Some pics of 'The dent', the front lawn. and the van in the drain with the rogue tree. It will have to be pulled sideways towards the road before I can hook on again to get it out. :hurt-41:
DSC_8706.JPG DSC_8707.JPG DSC_8708.JPG