Solar The Solar Panel Thread

Brente1982

Oct 7, 2019
Epping
It is. Just hard to do any negotiating at the moment, because theyre all running on limited staff and only working a couple of days a week. So you talk to your sales rep, and then he has a couple days off etc.

Reactions: Crusty181

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
Did you chat to Matt at Bayswater - looked after us nicely. I can't believe 1 dealer will do the deletion, but other won't. It's either available from the factory or it's not

Brente1982

Oct 7, 2019
Epping
Did you chat to Matt at Bayswater - looked after us nicely. I can't believe 1 dealer will do the deletion, but other won't. It's either available from the factory or it's not

I have spoken to Mathew from Bayswater. He's since confirmed that the factory won't delete the panel, so it is what it is.
He's also come to the party a bit more on price. Just waiting to hear back from Page Brothers in Seaford.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland

Hi @Macca_75 , it seems in this period of Covid-19 problems, Jayco are rationalizing production and reducing the "options" normally available to buyers. What may have previously been seen as "extras" or "upgrades" is no longer the norm. Obviously, the production line is set for just the one type - take it or leave it! Like Ford said of the "T" model car, you can have any colour you like, as long as it is black!! Jayco now saying for certain models, you can have anything you want, as long as it is as comes from the factory!! Cuts down costs and gets rid of all the unsold options lying around in storage!! For the 2020 production, in the camper trailer range, the Eagle and Flamingo models are no longer available, only the Penguin or the Swan. Not familiar with some of the other full vans or pop top models, but believe these have been reduced also.

Reactions: Macca_75

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi @Macca_75 , it seems in this period of Covid-19 problems, Jayco are rationalizing production and reducing the "options" normally available to buyers. What may have previously been seen as "extras" or "upgrades" is no longer the norm. Obviously, the production line is set for just the one type - take it or leave it! Like Ford said of the "T" model car, you can have any colour you like, as long as it is black!! Jayco now saying for certain models, you can have anything you want, as long as it is as comes from the factory!! Cuts down costs and gets rid of all the unsold options lying around in storage!! For the 2020 production, in the camper trailer range, the Eagle and Flamingo models are no longer available, only the Penguin or the Swan. Not familiar with some of the other full vans or pop top models, but believe these have been reduced also.
I read an article some years back that Jayco was being steered by a management team which had come from the automotive industry. That article predicted substantial model reductions, cost cutting and a profit maximising strategy of shifting toward the auto industry option choice system, ie no options, here it is, take it or leave it (other than some floor mats and a call from the Mingmols) and a deliberate swing to a completely off the shelf ,one size fits all product. Victor the Predictor may well have had the good oil on that one.

Reactions: Boots in Action

Brente1982

Oct 7, 2019
Epping
I don't think that's the case, whilst there have been model reductions, there is still an extensive list of options available for all models.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I don't think that's the case, whilst there have been model reductions, there is still an extensive list of options available for all models.
If you want something thats not on there standard offering list, youll likely not get it. You've discovered Jaycos reluctance to do the simplest of requests, something that doesn't appear troublesome yet its impossible to get. Go off the reservation and they simple aren't interested. Years ago you could get windows, doors, hatches removed changed or added, wiring done to design, slide outs removed, etc. It was much more flexible once upon a time

Brente1982

Oct 7, 2019
Epping
No doubt you could but it slows the process down and ends up being costly, especially in today's financial climate. If you allow every mod under the sun, it's fiscally impossible to run a profitable business, especially when you're churning out 2 out of every 5 vans sold

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
No doubt you could but it slows the process down and ends up being costly, especially in today's financial climate. If you allow every mod under the sun, it's fiscally impossible to run a profitable business, especially when you're churning out 2 out of every 5 vans sold
10,000 plus units a year I believe, very impressive considering where he came from. I own a manufacturing business and refusing to leave a solar panel off in your case, and refusing to instal a left door (which they stock) instead of a right door in my case speaks volumes to me, it just antagonises people for no gain (orloss) and profit has little to do with that. Those are the very things you do in business in order to generate goodwill, because goodwill puts more stock out the door ..... that's right up to the point where you've lost sight of the consumer and you no longer need to, nor care about that. My philosophy has always clean up after yourself like your mum would expect, and always give clients something they don't expect (and importantly won't cost me much), People love to feel important and love to think they've had a win. I've seen this play out 100s of times and that's why I do ok, and have never advertised. I know as fact if my business model reflected Jaycos, in my industry Id be broke. They've past that point where the Jayco brand name is whats successful, not so much the product now.

Last edited:

Brente1982

Oct 7, 2019
Epping
Whilst we're going incredibly off topic, I guess that's the way they want to operate, and it isn't hurting their business in the long run. They are prepared to offer a basic van, with limited options, and know if people don't like it they'll go to someone who will offer them what they want

Reactions: Crusty181

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
I had a chat with a senior exec of New Age Caravans at the Melbourne Caravan Show just after Tom Walkinshaw (Holden Special Vehicles) got involved
in the company. One of his key aims was to reduce the number of models and options on offer so they could build product more efficiently and better compete on price with Jayco.

Interesting, since I thought that HSV made a good living out of taking bog standard Holdens and modifying them to suit a particular niche market.

Perhaps there is a business model centered around taking bog standard vans and modifying them to suit individual buyers.

ARB and others seem to be successful in doing that for off-road vehicles.

take care
Mike

Brente1982

Oct 7, 2019
Epping
New age vans up here in Epping do churn them out aswell it seems. Whilst their production isn't on the scale of jayco, they have 2 factories on the go.

HSV built a product with very limited optimal changes. ARB offer aftermarket products for certain vehicles. You can't walk in there and ask for a bull bar made to your specifications of needs. You have to take it as they have designed.

banbronx

Nov 12, 2020
London
I also think we take the whole battery and need to keep them fully charged every day thing a little to seriously....

In my previous camper - a Jayco Swan outback - I had a 260AH AGM Battery... I would charged it fully using 240V at home. Then go from Melbourne to Robe (no connection to car apart from Fridge and lights of course) free camp for 6 days, using TV, TV antenna, 150W inverter for Laptops, 12volt water pump, ipads, lights etc. (Fridge running on Gas).

And then drive all the home to Melbourne and the Battery would still be at 75% when we got home. I bought it at this store and it was one of the best purchases that I've ever had. In our Expanda, I have 2 120AH AGM's - Same thing 5 days of free camping using all manner of accessories and the batteries barley get down to 80%.. (Fridge running on Gas).

Just saying - My view on this is that unless you are planning on doing any more than 5 day at a time stints and will be using something like a 2000W inverter regularly during this time then I would quetion the need for anything other than a 240V charger that you pretty much leave at home and just charge the batteries using that.

--- Say's he with the BCDC1240 and Xantrax 40A 240v Chargers :) ----

Still food for thought...

It sounds interesting. I also used my panels on trips, but it was pretty positive experience, you just have to have a spare generator or powerful panels.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
It sounds interesting. I also used my panels on trips, but it was pretty positive experience, you just have to have a spare generator or powerful panels.
Fair comment @banbronx . However there are two very important considerations when off grid for a while. The need for extra storage (2 X 120 ah batteries is a lot of extra weight if you can survive on just one that is regularly charged) and the fact that there was a BC to DC charger involved...a 40A one too. No wonder the batteries were only down to 75% when home was reached!! The whole idea of charging regularly when off grid (with good solar?) means that the battery/ies are never down in the "deep discharge" position. Some may think that I have an over-kill position with a 1 X 120 ah AGM and 3 solar panels in series (total of 580w) connected to an efficient MPPT controller. Even if charging is not optimum and battery gets low, with that much solar harvesting , it only takes a very short time to charge up battery before it gets to the 50% DOD stage. Indeed, I also take with me an auxiliary battery (an 80 ah AGM) which I can connect in parallel if the main battery is getting low. Just recently, battery voltage for both batteries combined had dropped to 12.2 volts, so at first opportunity after lunch when the sun was out after a storm, connected up all the panels and saw 24.5 amps getting into batteries initially, before dropping to 17 odd amps for a while. By dusk, both batteries were fully charged and in Float stage. Went on to stay off grid for a further 4 days with no worries and still using approx 34 ah daily. If you have the money or need - I don't! - then a BC to DC charger is the best back up of all. It is all about using what you have to the best advantage to meet your requirements.

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
We use a bit of power so I have fitted a second 110ah (2 in total in the van). We only have 1 panel on the roof and a second portable in the car if needed. We can get few a few overcast days. If needed I can add the aux in the car (which is isolated from the cars main battery). Running the car will charge all 3 at the same time - so if we only ever sit in 1 spot for a few days I hope to not have any issues.

Maybe I need another panel on the van??? Just more weight.

Would love to move to lithium but can't justify the $$$ at the moment.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
We use a bit of power so I have fitted a second 110ah (2 in total in the van). We only have 1 panel on the roof and a second portable in the car if needed. We can get few a few overcast days. If needed I can add the aux in the car (which is isolated from the cars main battery). Running the car will charge all 3 at the same time - so if we only ever sit in 1 spot for a few days I hope to not have any issues.

Maybe I need another panel on the van??? Just more weight.

Would love to move to lithium but can't justify the $$$ at the moment.
Quite right @Macca_75 . The price of lithium is more than twice the cost of TWO good AGMs but also less than a third of the weight. They would certainly lighten the load in your van as well as your wallet with the necessary charging changes needed. Whilst you have made the decision to add an extra battery say at least 30kgs, I am not that much better with the two extra folding panels - say 25kgs. You have storage and I have generation potential. Otherwise a similar battery back up as me.
The only problem with charging from the car alternator is reduced charging voltage unless BC to DC charger - more dollars. And you have to run the tug engine!
A good extra solar panel is cheaper and far less trouble IMHO.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Not sure I understand the question???
@Macca_75, I think he is referring to how to calculate the efficiency of solar cells/panels on his house roof. @BrokeInBendigo set out a formula that may help @ericmil. So many variables as to obtaining FINAL output figure after calculating theoretical potential output. Angle of light/sun to cells, panel temperature, cleanliness of panel surface, wiring including effeciency of home solar inverter etc,etc.

Reactions: Macca_75