Solar The Solar Panel Thread

Brente1982

Oct 7, 2019
Epping
It is. Just hard to do any negotiating at the moment, because theyre all running on limited staff and only working a couple of days a week. So you talk to your sales rep, and then he has a couple days off etc.

Brente1982

Oct 7, 2019
Epping
Did you chat to Matt at Bayswater - looked after us nicely. I can't believe 1 dealer will do the deletion, but other won't. It's either available from the factory or it's not
I have spoken to Mathew from Bayswater. He's since confirmed that the factory won't delete the panel, so it is what it is.
He's also come to the party a bit more on price. Just waiting to hear back from Page Brothers in Seaford.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Did you chat to Matt at Bayswater - looked after us nicely. I can't believe 1 dealer will do the deletion, but other won't. It's either available from the factory or it's not
Hi @Macca_75 , it seems in this period of Covid-19 problems, Jayco are rationalizing production and reducing the "options" normally available to buyers. What may have previously been seen as "extras" or "upgrades" is no longer the norm. Obviously, the production line is set for just the one type - take it or leave it! Like Ford said of the "T" model car, you can have any colour you like, as long as it is black!! Jayco now saying for certain models, you can have anything you want, as long as it is as comes from the factory!! Cuts down costs and gets rid of all the unsold options lying around in storage!! For the 2020 production, in the camper trailer range, the Eagle and Flamingo models are no longer available, only the Penguin or the Swan. Not familiar with some of the other full vans or pop top models, but believe these have been reduced also.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi @Macca_75 , it seems in this period of Covid-19 problems, Jayco are rationalizing production and reducing the "options" normally available to buyers. What may have previously been seen as "extras" or "upgrades" is no longer the norm. Obviously, the production line is set for just the one type - take it or leave it! Like Ford said of the "T" model car, you can have any colour you like, as long as it is black!! Jayco now saying for certain models, you can have anything you want, as long as it is as comes from the factory!! Cuts down costs and gets rid of all the unsold options lying around in storage!! For the 2020 production, in the camper trailer range, the Eagle and Flamingo models are no longer available, only the Penguin or the Swan. Not familiar with some of the other full vans or pop top models, but believe these have been reduced also.
I read an article some years back that Jayco was being steered by a management team which had come from the automotive industry. That article predicted substantial model reductions, cost cutting and a profit maximising strategy of shifting toward the auto industry option choice system, ie no options, here it is, take it or leave it (other than some floor mats and a call from the Mingmols) and a deliberate swing to a completely off the shelf ,one size fits all product. Victor the Predictor may well have had the good oil on that one.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I don't think that's the case, whilst there have been model reductions, there is still an extensive list of options available for all models.
If you want something thats not on there standard offering list, youll likely not get it. You've discovered Jaycos reluctance to do the simplest of requests, something that doesn't appear troublesome yet its impossible to get. Go off the reservation and they simple aren't interested. Years ago you could get windows, doors, hatches removed changed or added, wiring done to design, slide outs removed, etc. It was much more flexible once upon a time

Brente1982

Oct 7, 2019
Epping
No doubt you could but it slows the process down and ends up being costly, especially in today's financial climate. If you allow every mod under the sun, it's fiscally impossible to run a profitable business, especially when you're churning out 2 out of every 5 vans sold

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
No doubt you could but it slows the process down and ends up being costly, especially in today's financial climate. If you allow every mod under the sun, it's fiscally impossible to run a profitable business, especially when you're churning out 2 out of every 5 vans sold
10,000 plus units a year I believe, very impressive considering where he came from. I own a manufacturing business and refusing to leave a solar panel off in your case, and refusing to instal a left door (which they stock) instead of a right door in my case speaks volumes to me, it just antagonises people for no gain (orloss) and profit has little to do with that. Those are the very things you do in business in order to generate goodwill, because goodwill puts more stock out the door ..... that's right up to the point where you've lost sight of the consumer and you no longer need to, nor care about that. My philosophy has always clean up after yourself like your mum would expect, and always give clients something they don't expect (and importantly won't cost me much), People love to feel important and love to think they've had a win. I've seen this play out 100s of times and that's why I do ok, and have never advertised. I know as fact if my business model reflected Jaycos, in my industry Id be broke. They've past that point where the Jayco brand name is whats successful, not so much the product now.

Last edited:

Brente1982

Oct 7, 2019
Epping
Whilst we're going incredibly off topic, I guess that's the way they want to operate, and it isn't hurting their business in the long run. They are prepared to offer a basic van, with limited options, and know if people don't like it they'll go to someone who will offer them what they want

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
I had a chat with a senior exec of New Age Caravans at the Melbourne Caravan Show just after Tom Walkinshaw (Holden Special Vehicles) got involved
in the company. One of his key aims was to reduce the number of models and options on offer so they could build product more efficiently and better compete on price with Jayco.

Interesting, since I thought that HSV made a good living out of taking bog standard Holdens and modifying them to suit a particular niche market.

Perhaps there is a business model centered around taking bog standard vans and modifying them to suit individual buyers.

ARB and others seem to be successful in doing that for off-road vehicles.

take care
Mike

Brente1982

Oct 7, 2019
Epping
New age vans up here in Epping do churn them out aswell it seems. Whilst their production isn't on the scale of jayco, they have 2 factories on the go.

HSV built a product with very limited optimal changes. ARB offer aftermarket products for certain vehicles. You can't walk in there and ask for a bull bar made to your specifications of needs. You have to take it as they have designed.