Solar The Solar Panel Thread

Dooku

May 21, 2014
This may be a silly question but wondering if you can use a regular TV in van. I assume it is fine when connected to power at van park but what about when running battery/solar? I see most people are using a 12v TV. It would be nice if I could unplug home TV and foxtel and take with me but I am worried I will only be able to use at powered sites and not free camping.

As background I have 2014 17.56.2 OB with 120 solar. Not sure whether inverter is standard on that model. If battery/solar cant run 240v TV should I just use my Honda EU20i generator. Even more silly question on generator.....should I plug into van input or run directly to TV and foxtel box when free camping?

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Hi @Dooku , Most vans don't come with an inverter unless you had specified it and then you would have been shown it at handover on how to switch on and which points etc it would use. So am assuming that you bought your van from new (seeing it is a 2014) and didn't get one installed.

If so, then you cannot use your home tele unless it is 12v or you get an inverter, have 240v power or as you said run your generator. If running your generator, just feed that to main van input and this would take care of the rest. Your tele would pull bugger all power from the generator on its own, so you would be safe to use this, and charge batteries etc. Most people only run into trouble with their generators if they try to run say the microwave and air-con, or kettle etc which overloads the capacity of the generator.

If long term, you may be best to look at a 12v tele, but I know the quality sucks on most of them compared to our home ones.

BJ

Reactions: Dooku

NW-Based

Jul 13, 2015
Exmouth WA
This may be a silly question but wondering if you can use a regular TV in van. I assume it is fine when connected to power at van park but what about when running battery/solar? I see most people are using a 12v TV. It would be nice if I could unplug home TV and foxtel and take with me but I am worried I will only be able to use at powered sites and not free camping.

As background I have 2014 17.56.2 OB with 120 solar. Not sure whether inverter is standard on that model. If battery/solar cant run 240v TV should I just use my Honda EU20i generator. Even more silly question on generator.....should I plug into van input or run directly to TV and foxtel box when free camping?

Fitting an inverter is easy, then just run an extension cord from the inverter and fix it to a power point somewhere convenient in your van.

NW-Based

Jul 13, 2015
Exmouth WA
Hi @NW-Based,
Firstly welcome to the forum.
As far as the inverter is concerned, Best not to hook an inverter into the vans 240v circuits via a lead and power point, this definitely shouldn't be done. Maybe I have misunderstood what you mean though?

HM

Thank you, you're absolutely correct and I should have made that clearer,
I fitted the inverter then ran an extension cord from the inverter to a socket that I bought and fitted into the caravan myself. Completely separate from the campers original circuit.
A sparky actually wired it into the socket, I fitted and ran all wiring that I have done then had an electrician join it and certify it. Doing the time consuming stuff saves a fortune. 6 hours for me to fit everything and run the wiring 1 hour for the sparky to check it and finish the joins.

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
OK a solar question hopefully someone can help with.
I have 1 x 120W panel with a Top Ray Solar regulator TPS 1230, 12V 30A with a open circuit voltage of 28V that also has the Coast to Coast water tank guage and battery voltage guage connected.
I recently picked up a 250W domestic panel with an open circuit voltage of 37.8V. What are my options to connect this to my van in place of the Jayco fitted panel. Thanks.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
This may help...based on contributions from others on this forum.

If 120w panel is on van and wired to Topray regulator then that is factory supplied? Leave as is if it works ok.

Additional panel needs a separate regulator and blocking diode on panel and is best connected direct to battery ....not via Topray but separate. Best use something like Anderson plug.

We use factory supplied panel which works very well and additional panel with reg connected directly to battery via Anderson plug.

I assume you want additional power not just to replace existing 120 with 200w??

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
Thanks @Holden_man it seems like we are in the same boat. I hope someone might read this and has a factory solar upgrade and can reply with their regulator details so we can google the specs.
I was doing a little more reading last night and found in my dealer wallet the instruction manual for the regulator and it states that the maximum power input from the solar panels should be less than 360W however the open circuit voltage looks to be our issue as you pointed out.

JohngQld

Jun 17, 2015
Caboolture, Qld
My 200 watt panel arrived this week for my 16.49.1 which should arrive in November. The panel itself is 100mm longer and 128 mm wider than the 150 watt which Jayco fit. Can anyone tell me if there is another 130 mm of roof top free between the sky light hatch and the edge of the roof or what the actual distance is between the hatch and the edge of the roof.
Any information much appreciated.
John

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
OK a solar question hopefully someone can help with.
I have 1 x 120W panel with a Top Ray Solar regulator TPS 1230, 12V 30A with a open circuit voltage of 28V that also has the Coast to Coast water tank guage and battery voltage guage connected.
I recently picked up a 250W domestic panel with an open circuit voltage of 37.8V. What are my options to connect this to my van in place of the Jayco fitted panel. Thanks.

@MDS69,

As other has said - you will need a solar regulator that supports a higher open circuit input voltage. You can find a number of them on this site - http://www.lowenergydevelopments.com.au/50A-48V-Solar-Regulator.

Have used these guys for all my solar equipment - they are very helpful.

Chers,

Rohan

Reactions: bigcol

MUMSRIG

Jul 8, 2012
Upper Hunter
Hi all. Our Expanda has a 90w panel fitted and our Swan has a 120w panel fitted. Do you think it's worth while adding the 120 or simply replacing the 90 with the 120? Both are factory fitted units. I'm also adding a 2nd battery

MUMSRIG

Jul 8, 2012
Upper Hunter
I'd add you can't have enough solar
I looked at it all and didn't want to leave my mate (who purchased our Swan) without any Solar. The panel on the Swan was physically bigger and wasn't a straight swap so I left it. The expanda was pumping 5.2A and the Swan was cranking out 7.6A. Big difference. Will install a 2nd battery in the Expanda though

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Finally decided to get onto the solar bandwagon.
I didn't want (or need to) go down the permanent instal path so I bought this for $219 off eBay.

20151008_135652.jpg

Just ordered some 6B&S and Anderson plugs so I can wire it directly to the battery.
I'm assuming that this solar controller will allow me to do that?

20151008_140253.jpg

I haven't quite got my head around all this technical solar stuff yet...lol

cancan

Sep 26, 2011
Manly; Brisbane
This thread just saved me a fortune.... have 8 nights without power so thought I would use the solar panel from the camper trailer.... will get the auto electrician to make a cable with battery lugs and Anderson plug and I can run that to the battery from the front easy enough...saves moving the van

Reactions: Drover