Solar The Solar Panel Thread

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Thanks capt. I have asked My Jayco dealer to install a 200w panel. Wonder if they sit them on brackets or hard down? Question for Monday.
Like Capt. Gadget says. I think traditional panels require an air gap underneath. Not a great photo but you can see the white angle strip that panels are fixed to, and air gap if you look hard enough between panels.
396097481.082407.png

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Xpandafan,

are those factory fitted? If anyone who has had theirs factory fitted would it be possible to have pics of how they have been secured on put up? Or have I missed it on here somewhere?

BJ

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Xpandafan,
are those factory fitted? If anyone who has had theirs factory fitted would it be possible to have pics of how they have been secured on put up? Or have I missed it on here somewhere?
BJ
Bought "pre-loved" and the solar panels and extra battery, etc., done at my request/cost by my Jayco dealer prior to delivery.

Roadkill

Mar 24, 2013
SA
Evening all. We have a 2013 build 18.57-6 that has some additional cabling coiled up near the batteries. Is this the cable for "solar ready"?
Runs towards the rear of the van but haven't traced it fully yet.

image.jpg

Roadkill

Mar 24, 2013
SA
Thanks Burnsy. We hadn't ordered the van, just one that was available at a Jayco dealer at the time. Any guesses on where they terminate the other end?

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
If it's the solar pre wire cable, the other end will be in the J box on the roof ready to connect the panels. I've heard that the pre wire is now standard?

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
Me thinks the Jayco factory used a couple of screws that were too long when screwing down the angle brackets for my solar panel mounts...
I got two 5cm hair line cracks in the ceiling so they replaced the whole roof under warranty... I've noticed the local dealer mounted them inline on centre of the roof (which I prefer for weight distribution on the struts) whereas it came out of the factory with the panels on diagonally opposed corners...

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
Hi
done a heap of solar installations on all models of vans, we have our own brackets we use which give a air gap and are rubber mounted to prevent flexing. full van i screw these into the edge mold with plenty of slas and use LS Rivets on the other edge, again with plenty of slas. for a poptop i just use the LS Rivets for all four mounts again coated with slas. on a poptop i mount a j box above where the roof cables go up the tent and then just run the cable straight thru the roof there and down the cable pocket in the tent, the panels i try to keep as close as possible to the j box
personally i wouldn't use fixed panels on a van .... oh wait i use one on the hilux for the fridge :)
i have 2 portable 80w panels that i track the sun with when camping to charge the 2 100amp house batteries in van, but we usually only camp 3-4 days so no real drain on batteries. with a fixed panel they are only at optimum around midday but the portable works all day if you keep moving it and another reason is we usually camp in the shade so a roof panel is not as efficient.
all the installations i've taken straight to house battery after the reg with overkill size wiring (8mm automotive twin usually) to prevent voltage drop. these are fused on the battery, for a portable system i wire a anderson straight to battery (fused of course) so customer can use it for output as well. all andersons are soldered not crimped as they can work loose from use.
one pet hate (one of many!) is the prewired solar on the jayco's go straight from roof to battery and most customers want the reg on a cupboard wall where it's easy to see, so got to find the wires, try to get a bit of slack and place the reg there, bit hard for some of the older customers to get down on hands and knees and read a reg on the bed or seat frame where it would be a easy fit, wish jayco would make allowances for this!

Reactions: Bmhdg76

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
i have 2 panels on roof that i mounted but got the van prewired from factory.
Quicker and easier than running wires yourself , like i did on earlier expanda,
The best thing about the panels on the roof is set and forget and they are charging while you drive
works for us
Same!

Reactions: cruza driver

Path550

Jan 12, 2014
Does anyone run there 3 way fridge on 12v while they are driving while the roof solar is charging?