Journey The Journey is Home.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Been quiet on the mods for a while but managed to fit another before we headed to SA (was it really 3 months ago) and Wilpena. We love the ensuite but I found the gap between the sink and the curtain (it's about 40 cm) insufficient space to dry myself so I fitted a curtain track outside the ensuite and hung a shower curtain from it. This has increased the space to more than a metre and I can now swing my towel and tail without hanging my rear end out in the open.
DSC_2495.JPG DSC_2496.JPG DSC_2498.JPG
The original curtain and track are still in place to use for the loo.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
A great idea @chartrock

Just glad you didn't do a @Crusty181 photo with your rear end swinging 8-)
The thought crossed my mind but 3 things were against it.
1. The roof is down and I can't get in there easily. :p
2. It is not a pretty sight. :o
3. I do not want to get in to a comparison competition with @Crusty181 . :behindsofa:

Bridgetw19

Oct 19, 2016
Country
As promised @Billrw136 & @MDS69 here are some pics of the pullout pantry.
View attachment 31970 Original cupboard
View attachment 31971 View attachment 31972 View attachment 31973 View attachment 31975 Still got space under the bottom shelf for cans etc. The only drawback is, because of the TV plugs protruding into the cupboard (the light brown box in cupboard in pic 1), the runners had to be mounted on the stove side so the shelves are facing away from the side you would normally take the item from but it is no big deal.
Thank you for the pictures of the pull out pantry. Can I ask where you got the pull out pieces from and was it hard to install?im happy for the bottom pantry to be left as is but I'm short so the top one would be great if I could take shelves out and make into pull out.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Hi, the pantry parts were bought from Camec, straight off the web here. The shelves can be placed at different positions up and down and I bought an extra shelf to give me three.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Finally got a round to changing my HWS anode and by the look of it, just in time.
DSC_2656.JPG

I had a mobile service guy out to do a service on the van. He only took one wheel off and dismantled the bearings telling me that they were worn and should be replaced. He reckoned it was not worth taking them all off to check as they would all be pretty much the same and was wanting me to book it in with him to replace them all. I said no thanks as if needed I would do it. So today while I had my tools down at the van I decided to check wheel nuts and found the twit had not tightened the nuts after taking it off the jack. Now there is no way he will get near the van again.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Was the bearing really that bad Paul?
Makes me worry about ours, though you have done quite a few more miles than us...
I didn't think it was that bad, Bill. It had dark marks on the rollers where it had been rolling but I din't see any pitting on them. I plan to remove another wheel and check and if I am concerned, there is a bearing shop in Nerang where I will take it for another opinion but buy another set to carry as spares just in case. I was impressed with the gear the service guy had for repacking the bearings, it really got the grease into the rollers.

@cruza driver, it was just a feeling I had as I could not actually remember seeing him do it as he spent a lot of time talking (trying to get me to book it in) but it would have been part of my pre trip prep before heading off again anyway.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Good pickup Paul that could of been nasty!
Outstanding pick up @17triton, by @chartrock.

This is what happens (from personal experience) when you don't check wheel nuts ... In case you were wandering, I didn't take the wheel off; I found it like this at my routine trackside leg stretch.
p1060875-resized-1400.jpg

.... and this is where is happened.
grr wheel.JPG

If anyones heading up that way, could you keep an eye out for my wheel. Pretty sure it would more likely to be off in the scrub on the northern side of the track. Should be a bearing dust cap nearby as well, plus a few snapped studs ... oh yeah, and my pride. I'm particularly keen to get my pride back, they didnt have that in stock at Jayco spares

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
and thats why someone on here is always going on about check all wheel nuts after getting a service and before you move the van..................pitting or bits missing then bearing is stuffed, rollers fall out of carrriage no good or the rollers are burnt but if like that other things will show up.....................always carry a spare bearing and 2 oil seals.....................and if one is stuffed it doesn't mean the rest are either......

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
and thats why someone on here is always going on about check all wheel nuts after getting a service and before you move the van..................pitting or bits missing then bearing is stuffed, rollers fall out of carrriage no good or the rollers are burnt but if like that other things will show up.....................always carry a spare bearing and 2 oil seals.....................and if one is stuffed it doesn't mean the rest are either......
Hey @Drover, do you remember who that "know it all", "I told you so", nagging pain was .... ?.

I did have to tension the wheel nuts after a got the new wheel ... once bitten! I did does lurn reel farst. I remembered someone saying, blaa blaa blaa

PS I had a spare bearing ... and grease ... but no dust cap, damn it. Its always about the thing you don't have

Reactions: Drover

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
@Crusty181 I lost the centre set of duals off a tri axel trailer years ago just north of Taree, could hear rattling for a while but no where to pull up, then crash and sparks just after a motorcycle passed me, we never found then, absolutley peed my pants thinking what could have been if the bike was a few seconds later. Truck was serviced in Sydney prior to me leaving, I used to check them constantly but it was before my usual stop.
@chartrock I can't understand how caravan bearings can wear out so soon, are they using cheap bearings or is the engineering all wrong? Imagine if car bearings needed replacing so soon, and pretty poor service from the mobile guy as well :-(