The battery switch

Mike7

Nov 10, 2011
Hi all,

Can someone check this for me please on their van, just wanted to make sure my van s wired up correctly.

When plugged into 240v, could you turn off the battery switch and see if the 12v stuff in the van is powered off the setek transformer?

When I connect to 240 and I switch the battery switch off my van 12v stuff is unpowered. I was assuming, and have others tell me about their van, that the 12v transformer in the setek should power the van.

Thanks for your help in advance
Mike

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
*Try posting a bit more so your post isn't boring* if on 240v and battery is off all things should still work. lighting, rangehood, pump. any 12v outlets, TV, stove ignition etc.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hey Mike, check your setec is switched on at the power point under the lounge, also that the surge protector is still ok!

Reactions: Xpandafan

Dove

Aug 14, 2013
Melb, Vic.
I am about to pick up a new van with battery and 240 volt power. Never had batteries before. If I'm in a van park on 240 volt, should I turn off the battery power switch?

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
I am about to pick up a new van with battery and 240 volt power. Never had batteries before. If I'm in a van park on 240 volt, should I turn off the battery power switch?
I leave mine on all the time. Maybe just lazy...but one less thing to worry about.;)

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Leaving the switch on will keep your battery charged, will also keep the light etc on if there's a power failure at the park, had that happen before.

The Alberto

Oct 19, 2012
Rockhampton QLD
Leaving the switch on will keep your battery charged, will also keep the light etc on if there's a power failure at the park, had that happen before.

I leave mine on all the time. Maybe just lazy...but one less thing to worry about.;)

*Try posting a bit more so your post isn't boring* - I too leave mine switched ON all the time. Like @Bushman and @Xpandafan mentioned, leaving the Battery switch ON whilst you are connected to 240v, ensures that your battery will remain fully charged. If you turn the switch to OFF, you are isolating the battery from the Setec unit. Leaving it switched ON means you will not have to worry about changing it everytime you unplug the 240v, all the 12v items will just automatically work whether you are plugged in or not. Handy if you pull up when travelling to get something out etc. as you can just flick the lights on.

gspy4u

Apr 27, 2012
Ipswich
Just remember to switch it off when you get home and store the van. If it's not connected to a 240v supply while you store it then the setek will draw a small amount and will flatten your battery eventually.