Thank you for the info

Greg

May 31, 2012
Blacksmiths NSW
Hi,
Im new to this site, I stumbled accross it while googleing everthing expanda, as Im in the market for 16.49.4. I cant thank the members here enough for there info they freely give which you dont get off the dealers. I look forward to passing on my experience once I have found the the right dealer, and price. Im like a few others on this site upgrading from a Jayco Eagle, which I have to unload first, but now im armed with a bit more info to get a better deal. Has anyone done any good out of a trade, Ive got a 2010 eagle and getting offered peanuts for it?

Greg

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Welcome to the forum Greg. :dance: As you say, there are a lot of upgrades from campers to expanda on the site. I think you will find that most decided to sell privately as dealers seem to offer a pittance for a trade. Just wait a day or two and you will get a number of replies with info on how and where to sell your Eagle and which dealers will give you a good deal. The members here are a fountain of information.

Good luck with your sale and future purchase.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Hi Greg
I agree with Chartrock. You are best off selling privately. As long as you aren't in a rush you will get a fair price. As for the purchase, make sure you contact a number of dealers. My best advise is to work out your exact list of extras before negotiating, then you can really compare apples with apples

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Agreed, go private sale if you can. If you price it realistically then it will be easy to sell. Too many people start way too high for a used camper.

Greg

May 31, 2012
Blacksmiths NSW
Thanks for all the help, Ive been trawlling trough the posts here getting every ounce of info I can get, I have been looking at a product advise site and if you believe the reports there you would not touch a Jayco with a 10ft pole, it seems only owners with negative comments post there, that why I like this site. Im also wondering how the local dealers treat owners who purchaced their Jayco at another dealership, but use the local dealers for warranty repair issues.
I just spoke to Newcastle Jayco and they are now having priority service and repairs for clients who buy off them. Ive got a price on the 16.45.4, with all the bells and whistles, so its getting closer.

Greg

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
Welcome.we too are camper to expanda.I would ring around dealers even here in Vic and get them to quote you for a van.other here travel interstate to get a good deal.each to their own.I guess.cheers.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I think Newcastle is trying to work out a way to stop loosing sales. Touch wood, I have never heard of anyone having difficulty with services from other dealers. The overwhelming sentiment on this site is that the after sale service and warranty for the Jaycos is excellent no matter which dealer you take it to. (still touching wood)

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi Greg,

Priority service is crap, get your best price and go with it if worth the drive, all dealers are bound to do warranty repairs from the factory. As far as I'm concerned it's a sales pitch to compete. If you call about a warranty issue 1 week before the 12 months warranty period is up it is taken from the date you call, so if you cant get in for 6 weeks your still covered so who cares, don't listen to that!

Cheers mate!

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Welcome Greg, as Moto said be realistic with your price when advertising your Eagle. WE sold our Hawk in 4 days and had numerous calls too.

Good luck and let us know how go, and enjoy the forum mate :thumb:

Feb 1, 2012
Dealers have to honor warranty no matter where they are. A mate of mine in the car industry however, is of the opinion that if you buy local you may get better overall service and they may even repair things that are not warranty as part of the service. In short his recommendation has always been unless its a big saving then buy local.

In relation to selling your van, price it competively and it will sell. We got a trade in price on our Swan, it was that good we did not even bother to try and sell privately. I have however, been watching eBay etc and one people have unrealistic price on their campers.

Greg

May 31, 2012
Blacksmiths NSW
Ive put it in the local paper for $19 500, it a 2010 eagle with heaps of extras,so see what happens. I will be ringing every dealer within 1000kms when the camper goes.
Greg

Feb 1, 2012
Ive put it in the local paper for $19 500, it a 2010 eagle with heaps of extras,so see what happens. I will be ringing every dealer within 1000kms when the camper goes.
Greg

One thing I found out when buying was further North you go from your location the pricing gets a bit tougher because of the extra delivery charge that the dealer wears....

jdove

Aug 23, 2011
Sunshine Coast Qld
Hi Greg
I will be interested to see how the sale of your camper goes.Is it a outback??. I will also be selling a O/B Dove after the school holidays as I already have a 14.44.4 on order due in late September. And yes shop around for your new van we saved a LOT OF MONEY by shopping around and finished up getting a great deal and good service from a dealer up in Bundaberg. Even though it's hundreds of KM further north it was cheaper than dealers down south.Your camper will sell so get your order in asap.I know that at the Brisbane caravan show Jayco sign up around 300 new van sales in that week. so there will be a production backlog for sure.
Good luck

jdove

Aug 23, 2011
Sunshine Coast Qld
I got the info from the manager at Qld's largest Jayco dealer who I was talking with a few weeks ago. He was very honest about the fact that they do a very large portion of their yearly sales target at the show.The quoted numbers were actually a bit over 300 and I have no doubt that it's correct as I have been to the qld show many times and the Jayco sales area is huge and it's always very busy.They have a great display with from what I can see every model of every van on display so you can really compare layouts and get the cheque book out.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
heard the same for the melbourne show too, and probably applies to the other states. As jdove says, having all on location to compare without being told 'yes, that model is available but we don't have one to show you. Its just like this 18' one but a bit shorter.", and compare to other manufacturers is a good thing for them :D

We did the shopping around and got the best price we could, order locked in, and $1000 (refundable) deposit before the camper sold.
Although we had originally offered it up for private sale with a few nibbles (and the obligatory email from the "off-shore marine engineer" who will pay even more if we take a paypal payment), when getting pricing from the dealers we were offered a great trade-in price (only a little less than what would sell it for privately). We were also told the trade-in wasn't essential to the purchase price so if we sold it for more privately, well and good, and we could still use the camper for the few months while we waited for the new one.

So on my experiences, I'd suggest the same; see if you can get a good trade-in price, and keep your options open for a private sale.

This time of year may also be harder for private sale. Winter, not as many buyers like the warmer seasons, and thus they beat the price down more....

Greg, is it worth getting an order before the camper sells, rather than contact every dealer within a 1000ks after it sells? Get the best contract price now, pay $1000 deposit which can always be refunded if you cancell your order (until the final approval to build). get offered a trade-in price on the camper - if it sells for more, you're better off

Greg

May 31, 2012
Blacksmiths NSW
WHOW, Paul what a deal Ive sent you an email and I think I will take the advise and order one before I offload the camper, or try and get a decent trade.

Greg

Greg

May 31, 2012
Blacksmiths NSW
Paul, Ive just spoke to the guy you recommended, seem like a decent bloke, looks like Im heading down your way to buy one, Jayco Newcastle could not come even close, and we now have changed to an outback.
Greg

Feldty

May 31, 2012
Wangaratta, Vic
Hi Greg,

I was in a similar position only yesterday.

I ordered a new Expanda a couple of months ago and advertised our Swan in the Trading post. When ordering the new van we were offered a fairly minimal trade (21K). Had a little inquiry but generally speaking, it was a little flat, i guess because it is the middle of winter. We ended up selling ours yesterday. We got 25K for a 2011 Swan outback, c/w annex walls, bed flies etc. We were very happy as we only advertised it for 25.5K.

The only suggestion I can give as mentioned earlier in the thread is to put a reasonable price on your camper, as I have been looking on the trading post and I swear, you can buy brand new cheaper than some people are asking for second hand vans.

Now just the wait for the new one. Going to be a long 2 months.