Tapatalk

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hey bigman, I have looked into taptalk and it has alot of issues bugs etc....

Granted you have used it and are happy with it!

So a question from me -

1) Do you use taptalk just to browse the site on a mobile device??

If you could let me know it would be appreciated!

Cougz & Aj

Nov 14, 2011
Adelaide
Hey bigman i also use tapatalk on other forums. yet to find a issue with it. Keep up to date new posts and also ones that im chatting in. I think it would be a big plus for this site.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Hi all, I have been doing some investigative work on this.....

Ok, the problem with taptalk is that it is reliant on a third party developer.

This means we have to integrate the site with some one elses code and then as vbulletin updates we have to make sure that taptalk can work with the vbulletin update.

This is not always the case and often taptalk will be a little behind in testing which means we sometimes can be left behind when updates / security patches come out.

I realise alot of forums still use it and its fine but the above is one thing to consider.

We then also have to talk about costing......

Taptalk has a per device charge $2.99 for android for instance, obviously if you have it and other forums have it then its a win win but we are selling something for some one.

The alternative is the following -

1) We use just a mobile theme and push this to all mobile devices. We already have this enabled at the bottom of every page and you can switch the theme yourself it just doesn't detect and push the mobile theme currently. Some things to consider -

a) This could be a forced push / selective push TBD, essentially the site detects your on a mobile device and either would push you to a mobile skin or you manually select it yourself. You can change back and forward as needed.

b) There is no charges to do this but it is still fairly limited in functionality just the standard site but a phone enhanced skin.

2) VBulletin now has a native app creator with all the features of tap talk but we determine its usage / charge etc. Obviously not mainstream like tap talk and a one charge to use on multiple device but it would be native to the site and this site alone. Some things to consider -

a) To cover the cost of this software I would have charge a nominal fee like 1 dollar but once the software etc is paid for then we can look to either reducing or removing the cost. Not everyone may be happy as they may have paid a buck and others not so when we agree on stickers maybe we could look at doing a discount for those who paid for the app to keep it all fair and equal.

b) It is built by vbulletin so it should work with all updates to the site

c) It owned by the site so we have full control over it, no pushing to other peoples app etc

d) More configurable as we get to choose the options / layout etc

3) Tap Talk / Forum runner, as mentioned we could use both or one of these. Its a charged app but generally once you have paid once you can use the app on multiple sites / forums. Some things to consider -

a) It adds overhead to the site, we have to implement code that will detect every time you load a page what device you are on and if you are on a mobile device it asks you if you want to add the app. We can disable this prompt / scan but its sort of defeats the purpose but may confuse people if they don't know what to do.

b) Its out of my hands, essentially if we enable it and something goes pear shaped I can't do anything to fix / ammend it as it is up to the developers of the software to do this. Not saying its going to happen but we are still at there mercy.

c) On a lighter note if you already have the app then its fine just another site you can add to your list essentially.

Sorry for the rant but I have been looking into, I don't mind either way and will keep my personal preference reserved for a later discussion as really I just want all of you as the users of the site to be happy using the site and in the best possible way.

So considering the above, what is the best choice for you?

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
wow.... Sorry mate, if I knew it was going to be this much of a hassle I would not of mentioned it.
option 3 sounds good, if you want to speak to a moderator that has encorperated it/them into to their site I could get one to contact you?
But once again, its its too much work for you, i wouldn't worry about it mate.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
We haven't added the support yet :)....

We have been busy on getting the server up and running but will give an update shortly....

As an idea it is a major modification to the forum software and requires a fair few files and scripts on top of the base vbulletin install so I am doing some testing of it before releasing it on the site.