Taming Old Stinky

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
It's nearly 100 days on the road, using the Nappi San works a treat and I have found something that does a good job of keeping things sweet, a quick spray under the lid, not too much though.

stinky.jpg

Last edited:

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
ahhhhh the joys of Glamping............

carrying your dunny with you.................

what ever happened to the ol' entrenching tool & a roll of sorbent and a small tree...................??????
Would be fine if everyone carried the entrenching tool but with the state of some free camp spots with streaming paper flying around shows that as humans we can't all be trusted. :painkiller: I'm happy to have the dunny on board.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
For those using napisan it is recommended that a "no-name" brand is used as it contains a slightly higher % of pottasium percarbonate.
We use Coles brand (Renamed to Oxi Action/Laundry Soaker or similar and I believe Woolies has stopped making it?) To damn cold and late to go out and have a look to confirm the Coles one ;)

Napisan and Eucalyptus Oil (As @megcam mentioned) works a treat for us. If things start getting a bit stinky after a while a few extra drops of the eucalyptus oil in the bowl helps! Definitely better smelling than the Thetford supplied chemicals!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
what ever happened to the ol' entrenching tool & a roll of sorbent and a small tree...................??????

Get with the times you old Fossill, that went the same way as bottle openers, can spanners and points......................except for the paper, still need the paper........................

Yep @dagree thats what we use, the less expensive stuff 32% percarbonate I think it is about $4 from Aldi, our box uses the mains water, no tank to add sweet smellers too, so a spray every so often keeps it smelling purty, too much spray it's gets a bit over powering though. I think it was @Bluey or @Dobbie , maybe both that
got me onto using it.

Last edited:
Reactions: dagree and bigcol

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
We've been using it for years and discovered if you start with the Coles generic stay with it as its not a good idea to then change over to the Thetford. Not sure if it's a chemical reaction but it's less efficient. So avoid mix and match.

Also, we always put a bit of water in the tank after emptying it, then the napisan, to keep it happy when not using the van. Only problem is that needs to be replaced before using again as the percarbonate degrades if left. But it does keep it lovely and clean when idle.

When we sold the van we had to remember to explain why there was a sloshing sound when the cassette was removed!

(We looked at a van recently and discovered the cassette came without wheels ....I'd hate to carry the damn thing as it rolls very well!) or am I assuming most come with wheels?

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

Sammy D

Feb 14, 2016
Quirindi
We aren't living full time in our van so haven't worried too much about finding an economical solution. We have been using the 'Walex' porta-pak lavender product and I have been pleasantly surprised at the lack of bad odours. I had bad memories of porta potties from when I was a kid but in hindsight I would guess that it was because no chemical was being used anyway I was worried about it originally but I am very impressed at how it works. Being a family of four we have to empty it every 24 hours or so and even in that short amount of time the chemical still kills the odours and breaks everything down to slop.

I just like the convenience of the pre packaged sachets but if we were living in it then I would definitely be looking around at other options but for the occasional holiday I am happy.

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW
We aren't living full time in our van so haven't worried too much about finding an economical solution. We have been using the 'Walex' porta-pak lavender product and I have been pleasantly surprised at the lack of bad odours. I had bad memories of porta potties from when I was a kid but in hindsight I would guess that it was because no chemical was being used anyway I was worried about it originally but I am very impressed at how it works. Being a family of four we have to empty it every 24 hours or so and even in that short amount of time the chemical still kills the odours and breaks everything down to slop.

I just like the convenience of the pre packaged sachets but if we were living in it then I would definitely be looking around at other options but for the occasional holiday I am happy.

I use the same ones that you use and I'm really happy with them. They weigh bugger all compared to liquids and are easy to store and use.
Cheers
Nick

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Also if you store it dry then when you prep your rig to head away fill the can with some water maybe add a bit of lemon or eucalypt, give a bit of a gentle shake then tip out this will remove any dry scale that has come away whilst stored and don't forget to give the seals a spray with olive oil.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Yep the green or purple one's are great, just chuck one in with a litre of water and your good to go, way easier and I think better to use than the liquid stuff..................though still prefer the Nappy San powder.

jawk

Apr 7, 2016
Yackandandah
Yep the green or purple one's are great, just chuck one in with a litre of water and your good to go, way easier and I think better to use than the liquid stuff..................though still prefer the Nappy San powder.
I know its probably been covered byt whats your particular napisan recipe? Pm me if youd rather. Thanks from gary

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
I know its probably been covered byt whats your particular napisan recipe?
We use the Coles brand named "Coles Laundry Ultra Booster". It has 36% Sodium Percarbonate compared to 30% in the original napisan product (From memory). Apparently the lower percentage in the original did not work in toilet cassettes due to the lower amount?
Depending on temperature and toilet usage I usually put another mix in the holding tank every 3 days.

I mix a capful in approximately 1 litre of water and stir until dissolved. Then pour it in the holding tank with a couple of drops of eucalyptus oil also. I also put a few drops of the eucalyptus oil in the flushing water.

One thing to remember is to also lubricate the flap seals with something like natural olive oil or similar as I've heard the napisan could dry out the rubber seals.

Definitely smells better than the chemical treatments and found it works just as good!

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Almost the same as @dagree but we just toss a capful of the Aldi equivalent into the cassette, after emptying, then about a litre of water.

It works well, particularly if you visit the dump point on your way out of wherever you are. The natural sloshing while on the road mixes it up, ready for the next visit.

A good trick, if it hasn't been mentioned, is to have a short hose with fittings ( about two metres) available when using dump points in small towns. For some unknown reason, they often lack hoses, so we carry our own and only use it for this purpose. Travels in the mesh basket under the gas bottles.