Taming Old Stinky

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Yep as the fellas above said, we try to use the Aldi stuff but any of them with 32% or more of percarbonate will do the job, $4 compared to $20 a month is a winner, especially when we were living in Big Mal while building, would use a cap full, did notice the Woollies brand stuff had a smaller cap so used 2, started off mixing it up but ended up just tossing a cap full in the can then half filling bowl with water and dumping it into the can, lliving in a van for 160 odd days and doing a dump run daily the novelty wears off i can tell you.
Have found it breaks stuff down very well.........actually think the sachets are the same stuff.

Should always give the seals a hit with olive oil every so often no matter what you use and a good clean up every so often...Store can dry then give a good rinse out before using again, this will get rid of dry scale which forms. No seal damage so far from the Nappi san but always have a spare seal.

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

jawk

Apr 7, 2016
Yackandandah
(snip)
One thing to remember is to also lubricate the flap seals with something like natural olive oil or similar as I've heard the napisan could dry out the rubber seals.

Is that the flap as seen when you look down thru the toilet bowl, or the slidey one on the cannister (or are they the same thing!!)?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Same thing, when you push the can in the grey slide cover moves to reveal the flap that moves when you push/pull the lever on toilet......a good read of the manual is advised so you don't get the thing jammed or broken when inserting or removing the can. The flap should always be closed when removing or inserting the can, most important and not just for the splash.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Is that the flap as seen when you look down thru the toilet bowl, or the slidey one on the cannister (or are they the same thing!!)?
@Drover answered your question.... And definitely close the flap before doing anything especially if Mrs Dagree has been :painkiller:

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
You're walking on the wild side!

When did Aldi arrive in Wait Awhile? They forgot to tell me...though I checked their latest cattledog and it seems it's 'back to school' stuff.

Me...I'm too old to go back to school so I'll give it a miss.

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
So...British.....I wonder if there are any reviews.

From my limited experience of caravan 'stinkies' I can't see the point but am very prepared to be convinced.
It looks a bit expensive and there doesn't seem like too much to it.

We've never had a stinky problem but never leave the emptying more than two days....can be a pain at times but, as said, never been an issue.

I'll be interested to hear others opinions.

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Hence the first post inthe thread, weve come a full circle.................after many,many years as a long distance Coach Captain, I can assure you your van's Stinky could never attain the death odor of a coach dunny after a few 100kms with folks who must eat garlic with every meal. Very hard to drive with head out window and seriously hoping a rock would smash a windscreen. 1000km, my mate and I gagged, even servicing ole stinky 3 times and 2 cans of Glen 20............a trip from hell......

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
So...British.....I wonder if there are any reviews.

From my limited experience of caravan 'stinkies' I can't see the point but am very prepared to be convinced.
It looks a bit expensive and there doesn't seem like too much to it.

We've never had a stinky problem but never leave the emptying more than two days....can be a pain at times but, as said, never been an issue.

I'll be interested to hear others opinions.

Ideally we try and empty every 2 days if possible, however on our recent trip we had to stretch up to 5 days in 40+ temps, and it was starting to get on the nose.

This system actually is part of the unit and vents to outside, so I think it's a reasonable idea.

Will investigate if there are any locally available for a better price

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Good luck....I agree it's on the nose after a few days. We learned the hard way in similar temps.

Unfortunately, it means a search for a dump point when free camping.....or braving the long drops. You can only keep your legs crossed for so long.

Out of curiosity, did you try adding some more chemical when the pong began? We managed to get another day or so by adding the napisan ....and adding more...

or maybe, the cassette was close to full so that wasn't possible!

Either way, I'm interested in this as it means making free camping better!

This is a very personal conversation.....apologies.

Reactions: bigcol

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Good luck....I agree it's on the nose after a few days. We learned the hard way in similar temps.

Unfortunately, it means a search for a dump point when free camping.....or braving the long drops. You can only keep your legs crossed for so long.

Out of curiosity, did you try adding some more chemical when the pong began? We managed to get another day or so by adding the napisan ....and adding more...

or maybe, the cassette was close to full so that wasn't possible!

Either way, I'm interested in this as it means making free camping better!

This is a very personal conversation.....apologies.

I didn't try adding more chemical, probably should have considered that, but even the fresh chemical small is pretty strong.

I was just thinking if the majority of the fumes of any description are sucked outside, it might make for a more pleasant experience inside.

And we weren't using the loo for No.2's either

Reactions: bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Just open the door and grab a shovel, preferable to have a bit of moon so you can see and dont fall in hole..........serious, works for me.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Too much information! (We use ours for both... can't see the point of having it otherwise)

Seriously, the topping up with extra napisan does work but, if it doesn't, there's always a dump point within 50kms.

Reactions: Wanda and bigcol