Swing out bike Carrier to suit H/L Expanda.

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
attachment.jpg
After many phone calls and going to caravan dealers looking for a bike rack to suit our expanda, I decided to have ago and make our own bike rack because there was not one avalible for purchase from Jayco or any caravan after market dealers.

This bike rack was many hours in the making and a few beers have been spent here with my mates, but now its all paid off after about 1 year of trial and error.
attachment.jpg

Before anybody attempts to copy this bike rack make sure you stregthen up the rear bumper mounts on the chasis, don't rely just on the factory mounts. I still have the factory mounts for the bumper bar there but I have added 4mm square tubing, 50mm inside by 350mm long, welded to the standard bumper bar mount and the chassis of the expanda for extra support. Take note though some of this extra extention has to been grinded off so it matches up with the factory mount and then welded to the chassis.

The mounting that I have used is the same thickness as your rear tow bar that you would have on any 4x4 or Reece Hitch, so therefore is like having two tow bars welded to the chasis to hold the bike rack on the rear of the caravan. These mounts are more than strong enough to hold more that the weight of bike racks thats for sure.

For any one thats thinking of modify their van to match mine, just remember that it will need an engineering certificate to get insurance. :mod:

If you choose to attempt to make a bike rack make sure you first purchase a weight distrubition hitch, this will remove the weight of the bike rack at the rear and evenly distribute the weight throughout the length of the van. This is a must otherwise the van will sway all over the road. Trust me I found the out the hard way at first.
But since the weight distrubition hitch was put on the A frame of the van its all been smooth towing and you would not even know that the van is on the back of the 4x4.

I have the ezylift weight distrubition hitch system, for the simple fact that it is its cheaper price, better quality made, better that the Old Ausie Reece hitch which is now made in China and the quality is just not there anymore compared to the Eazylift.

attachment.jpg
I bought the main frame of the bike rack from Anaconda. I also bought an extra base, one for the back of the 4x4 and one I had to modify to suit the bike rack on the caravan.
Also with the bike rack being removable it also helps when storing because of a length issue were my van is stored.

The hinge is the final design after 3 that failed. This one opens a full 180'degrees and has not bent yet. I found that when the bike rack is open with the weight of bikes and the kids hanging and bouncing on the bike rack arm, the hinges were failing. Hense the reason I have used 10mm plate and also a jocky wheel to support any unwanted bouncing from the kids.
Also the hinge is offset when pivoting to alow maximum strength and opening further than 180'degrees.

For more detailed pictures see link below.
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/album.php?albumid=12

Since these photos I have added some Led lights and have moved the number plate which I will post at a later date. So far I have done about 3000Km's and it all appears safe and correct at this stage.

If you need any info though let me know and I will try and guide you the best way that I can!

I take no responsability for any advise that I have given and if you chose to undertake any modifictions you do so at your own risk.

Tow Safe!

Skip

WA

Reactions: bigcol

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
:first: 1st class job Skippy looks very well thought out, even with a bit of trial and error along the way it looks like it has all worked out perfectly.

JIMI

Jul 17, 2011
Quinns Rocks WA
Hi Skippy

I have a 16.49-2 O/B which I picked up in March I was wondering if you would be interested in making one the same for me - it looks great. No one in Perth seems to be too interested in helping with this sought of thing.

Cheers Jim

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
Hey Jimi

Sorry mate dont have the spare time but I am more than willing to help out with sizes and any question you have on making one.

JIMI

Jul 17, 2011
Quinns Rocks WA
Thanks Skippy

I think I could do it - I just need the time and also the tooling. I wil go see a guy in Wangara and show him your photos.

Cheers

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
Thanks Skippy

I think I could do it - I just need the time and also the tooling. I wil go see a guy in Wangara and show him your photos.

Cheers

If you have some skills when it comes to welding then you will be fine. You will also need a 9 Inc grinder and lots of spare hours! Lol hehehe

Go to these guys they are the cheapest in Perth for metal and they have heaps of scraps for Hinges for next to nothing and they will even cut your metal at a price.
Buy the way the guys out the back are the friendliest bunch of blokes, also look for the guy that looks like a bikie and wear a Freo shirt and he will look after ya! Trust me
http://www.dicandilo.com.au/

Good Luck

Skip

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Looks great skip!

I am keen on seeing your number plate mods as i am having issues here in NSW where we are not allowed bike rack number plates on caravans. Looks like i am going to have to relocate the number plate to be clear of the bike rack mounted to the back wall of our van.

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
www.expandasdownunder.com
Nice job. Best rack fitting I`ve ever seen on a van.

I was thinking about a slightly simpler version for my slightly simpler brain.

I am thinking about replacing my standard bumber with a square 50 x 50mm steel tubing and welding my existing back rack fittings onto that.

I bought the van with the standard bumper, and the previous owner had a rack mount welded on that. After reading through threads I`m a bit concerned that its not strong enough. So I thought I`d replace with stronger steel.

I realise I`ll have to take the bikes off each time I set up, but I`m willing to do that and avoid all the engineering certificates etc.

Hit the road

Oct 25, 2012
Frankston Vic
Thats awesome work Skippy
could you please take a couple more pics of the underneath connection to chasis
im not good enough to do one myself but would like to show some more pics to a friend to better understand how it all connects etc
great design and really well thought out!
do you think it really necessary for the certificate?