Stone Guard

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I wanted a stone guard on the front of my van but had problems trying to fit it around the jerry can holder, miss the WDH brackets, allow the boot to open and access the spare wheel when necessary. The photos show my solution but if there are still access problems, it just lifts off.

Attachments

• DSCN4130.jpg
    DSCN4130.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 870
  • DSCN4132.jpg
    DSCN4132.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 618
  • DSCN4133.jpg
    DSCN4133.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 558
  • DSCN4134.jpg
    DSCN4134.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 541
  • DSCN4136.jpg
    DSCN4136.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 586
  • DSCN4137.jpg
    DSCN4137.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 598

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Looking good chartrock! Hope it work out for you.

I think i will be getting a stone stomper when my new expanda comes.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
That looks very neat chartrock. Its very similar to mine heres a couple of pics
Getting the Angles right and checking the bed clearance
047.jpg

053.jpg
The finished product with drag flaps to protect the underside of the Expanda
204.jpg

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Looks good Cruza. You didn't have to worry about a jerry can holder or boot & I didn't have to contend with a front bed. I like the drag flaps, great idea.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Looks good Cruza. You didn't have to worry about a jerry can holder or boot & I didn't have to contend with a front bed. I like the drag flaps, great idea.
thanks mate your right about having to dodge a few things to make it fit.

I made one the same for my Outback Hawk when I had it. It also had drag flaps which did a good job of protecting underneath the of the camper. I towed it through the Flinders Ranges a couple of times and it worked well. All up it travelled about 20,000ks and a lot on dirt roads so I thought I'd do the same on the Expanda.

Cheers Cruza

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
thanks for the inspiration guys, just about finished ours last night. had to make it off the van as i cant get a welder near the van. would have liked a bit more forward angle but i am trying to leave room for a 500mmm wide box as well. Picked up the rubber for flaps from Clarks today and will get some reflectors as well.

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 374
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 370
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 375

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
another photo i took when i had the paj in the jacknife postion. Pretty confident it clears but not sure about swinging the door or a wheel carrier on other vehicles like the crusier! Anyway its the best i can do for now and may need to change it later.

Attachments

• SAM_0417 small.jpg
    SAM_0417 small.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 295

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Last year we toured all throught Finders Rangers and just got out onto the bitumen for 1km and smashed the back window of the brand new colorodo (ARB Keilor) Kelvin was fantastic organised a new window to be put inthat afternoon in Elizabeth However went past Stone Stompers House organised one got him tyo measure never looked back travelled on dirt roads since and not smashed another window (cross fingers for luck it stays that way).

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Hey Jim I'm guessing the Panda is parked where that shed of yours is "MEANT" to be built by now.:lol:

That's it mate, talk about a bicentennial project! Good news the last hurdles are almost sorted and we may see a slab before Xmas .

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Finished it off tonight. Used 300mm insertion rubber for the flaps, should have used longer, and fitted reflectors on the corners. It's to he full width of the van including awning. Will post up a pic later, heading to Sofala tommorrow afternoon for the weekend.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Last year we toured all throught Finders Rangers and just got out onto the bitumen for 1km and smashed the back window of the brand new colorodo (ARB Keilor) Kelvin was fantastic organised a new window to be put inthat afternoon in Elizabeth However went past Stone Stompers House organised one got him tyo measure never looked back travelled on dirt roads since and not smashed another window (cross fingers for luck it stays that way).

The stone stompers are certainly good and good value if you not handy with a welder to make something your self . I nearly went that way but felt they were a bit too long with the extended drawbar. If I had finished the box I would have considered them as they could have been 500mm shorter.

While I think the stone stompers are the ultimate in rear window and front of van protection. I still think under van needs to be addressed? I encountered a newly laid quartz gravel road outside of Hilston earlier in the year it hammered the van and the stones went directly from the rear tyres and hit the front water tank, axle and half way up the rear tank. They took out the shock guard and broke water fittings. The stones hitting the rear tank bounced up and hit the floor of the van. Also dinged the door and cracked the fridge vent! Probaly aided a bit by he nose up attitude of he van but just the same the stone stomper would have impeded none of the stones going under he van. You still need flaps under the van IMO. I also note that camper trailer. Manufacturers are starting to fit under van skirts. This will be my next mod just need Ro work out weather to use bloody expensive insertion rubber or that hairy stuff that trucks use.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Knocked this up quickly to protect the water tank fittings, will probably revise it later. either going to use a slightly heavier but wider sheet metal guard because on the other side is the tank sensors, or make a rubber one for the other side and be done with it.

water fitting guard.jpg

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Good one Jim, I see a few nice dents in the water tank guard already, I need to do some stuff under mine, but doing it is another matter :whistle:

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Good one Jim, I see a few nice dents in the water tank guard already, I need to do some stuff under mine, but doing it is another matter :whistle:

Yeah know the feeling. The dents are beuties hey, took out a shock guard too. i have mesured up its 1570mm across 300mm wide insertion rubber would do above right across. for the rear i was thinking 600mm wide from the middle cross member tied down to the axle. That would pretty much protect everything except for the wiring box.

also i did all the loose wiring under the van with split tube. tank sensors electric brake wires etc.

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Jim,

Really like what you have done. Great effort.

What thickness insertion rubber are you using?

I have access to a used conveyor belt that is at least 10mm thick x 600mm wide - could be a bit of overkill and unnecessary weight!

Cheers,

Rohan