Starcraft Starcraft 18.55-3 - Jayco design team blunder - once a happy Jayco customer

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I'd be finding the price for a new cutting board then when told they can't order one to fit then demand a new sink to suit or refund for inability to supply fitting, use the said money to purchase a strip of that plastic stuff and run a router around the edge.
Reading everyones fun at buying a new van I think I'll stick to nearly new, the time taken wandering around looking for the one I want is not as long as waiting for them to cobble one together.
To find a van that has the bench space of my little 14 fter I've only seen monster rigs that have the same.

Last edited:

Dove

Aug 14, 2013
Melb, Vic.
This thread got me thinking. Went out and checked our July 2013 StarCraft 16.51 caravan. And the board fits the sink perfectly:D.

I think the boards are mass produced (not just for Jayco), and intended as a cutting board on one side and a savoury/dip server on the other. We don't use it for either purpose. It is just a sink cover for us. My wife has dedicated cutting boards and savoury dishes.

On the comment relating to build quality. We had more than a few concerns fixed by me or the dealer. One I found really annoying. When we picked up our van the entry door would not close properly. After a delay and some fiddling by the dealer's mechanic we were on our way. It still wasn't quite right. At the first service we asked them to adjust the door as it was clearly out of alignment and still not closing properly. Some more fiddling and still not fixed. At the annual service my wife bluntly told them the door still wasn't working properly. I carefully explained what was wrong. It was obvious. This time they actually realigned the door so it now closes properly:argue:

ACTraveller

Apr 23, 2010
ACT
Hi Dove
Yep the sink cover was just annoying and like you we only use it as a sink cover - a few strategic cuts and it now fits perfectly. Our door is fine but it is the rear bumper bar that we will be talking forcefully to the dealer about at its first service

Attachments

• Starcraft 18.55-3 bumper bar 01.pdf
    249.7 KB · Views: 294

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Hi Dove
Yep the sink cover was just annoying and like you we only use it as a sink cover - a few strategic cuts and it now fits perfectly. Our door is fine but it is the rear bumper bar that we will be talking forcefully to the dealer about at its first service
I can't see anything except squiggerly letters

Reactions: Drover

Dove

Aug 14, 2013
Melb, Vic.
Hi ACTTraveller.
The file opened fine for me.

I have an Outback. It has a steel box section bumper. Length wise its just like yours. It stops short of the van corners and the top surface is roughly level with the lower surface of the van body. I think that's the way Jayco design them. You might have a bit of difficulty with your dealer on that one.

Just a word of advice. Make sure you have all the receipts for your first service and the dealer records it. At our last annual service we had issues with the tyres scrubbing out on the inside edges. I believe it had been slowly happening from day one but did not recognise it until on our way home from Longreach. Turns out the axle was bent. The dealer initially tried to tell me I had bent the axle so no warranty. How I could bend a heavy duty axle on highways is beyond me. So after some firm discussion he went away and came back a couple of days later to say I hadn't had the first service done so no warranty. This was where I asked the question "so if I have receipts for a first service are you telling me you didn't do it?" That lead to a new axle under warranty. Some further firm discussion and the tyres were replaced also. It was like pulling teeth but having the receipts for the first service really helped.