StarCraft 17:58.3 Mk11

megcam

I was/am clueless on a lot of things caravanning when we bought our van. Am thankful though that our salesman recommended a 7 pin flat plug to match what was on the Pajero and to change the fridge wiring to anderson plug. Let us know what you sort out with lighting the fridge on gas.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I was/am clueless on a lot of things caravanning when we bought our van. Am thankful though that our salesman recommended a 7 pin flat plug to match what was on the Pajero and to change the fridge wiring to anderson plug. Let us know what you sort out with lighting the fridge on gas.

Yep that's the best way, it's just when I set this up was in a hurry and it seemed to work. Actually it works really well until the plug over heats. I could spread the load over the other pins but why bother. The Anderson is so much better.

Reactions: dagree

spiderpig

Nov 7, 2015
Canberra
Your 12v Anderson wiring on the Paj works a treat for running our fridge in the van while driving jimmy ;)

And those fans are excellent, ive fitted 3 in our van, one for our bed and one each for the kids.

Reactions: achjimmy

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Your 12v Anderson wiring on the Paj works a treat for running our fridge in the van while driving jimmy ;)

And those fans are excellent, ive fitted 3 in our van, one for our bed and one each for the kids.

Great to hear Ben, it should it's 13mm cable right through. I wired the Cruza the same, just got lazy on the SC not anymore.

Reactions: spiderpig

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
The light over the stove is great but no light over the sink was a pain. Picked up a slimline neat led from RTM but it was designed for a plug out the end . So screwed it apart and attached a lead and created a sub circuit from the roof lights with fuses for the recently installed fan and this light.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
It's an issue lighting the fridge on gas aftter it sits around. last trip I ended up lighting the fridge from the rear acess hatch to the burner. But in Jayco have positioned the vent to far to the left to allow easy acess for lighting and no acess for maintenance! So I decided to fit a larger Dometic vent. The larger vent will only aid cooling as well besides now allowing easy acess to the burner.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Radio was playing up in Bluetooth too. Basically Jayco don't know how to wire a car stereo :D they hook the accessories wire and the power wire together !!! On inspection they also didn't fit the rear brace bracket and it had been rubbing. So I fixed that too and added a switch to give me easy access to turn the outside zone on and off.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Yeah you don't get a lot of choice with fridge vents. Basically I needed it over so you can get to the little access flap to get a lighter in. Then you have a chance of getting it alight. The bigger vent will just aid cooling.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Also had the fridge pins get hot and melt on the 12pin plug ! My bad I knew this would happen. Moved it to the 6b&s with and Anderson plug. Was messy to get the heavy wire all the way to the fridge so I terminated it under the bed and disconnected the fridge wire from the mess in the tin can under the van and fed it up to meet the fuse box. As voltage drop wasn't a problem more the plug this will
Be fine and make the fridge work that tad better in 12v

Will get some good pics

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Firm fit is good......................replace the plug but should have checked the voltage drop, you may not have needed to replace the cable, I found once I did a solder job on the birds nest all was good.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Firm fit is good......................replace the plug but should have checked the voltage drop, you may not have needed to replace the cable, I found once I did a solder job on the birds nest all was good.

Nah mate over all the years towing and traveling with the folks as well I've seen too many cooked plugs. And when they go you can be stranded with no lights too. Andersons are cheap and designed to take 50amps it's really a win win

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Oh I wasn't meaning not to change the plug, 12 pin cause too many hassles, Andersons are the way to go, I meant just check the voltage drop from socket to fridge/setek, I found once a decent connection was done in the birdsnest under the van my power was good. Actually the wires in the fridge from the 12v connector to the heater element got very, very hot as they were not as big as the feed.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
A
Oh I wasn't meaning not to change the plug, 12 pin cause too many hassles, Andersons are the way to go, I meant just check the voltage drop from socket to fridge/setek, I found once a decent connection was done in the birdsnest under the van my power was good. Actually the wires in the fridge from the 12v connector to the heater element got very, very hot as they were not as big as the feed.
Ah okay yeah no Jayco have actually used something that looks a tad heavier than 6mm auto? Maybe a dinkum 5mm squared? The fridge ran alright so with 13mm sq running from the tug to under the bed and then the 5mm for about 1.8m to the fridge it should be good

megcam

Looking forward to the rewiring pics. I have a separate feed via anderson but on the last trip the fridge just wasn't even maintaining temp while driving. Green light was on but very little cooling happening. Figure I'd better check for loose connections and/or voltage drop. Pretty sure it used to be OK but had not previously been of gas or 240v for 5+ hrs. And here I was hoping to ignore 'The Birds Nest' :D

Reactions: bigcol and Drover

seanparky

Jul 19, 2012
Brisbane
Just been following your post and wow. Such great mods and perfection. Awesome work. You should be in charge of quality control and designs of jayco.

Reactions: cruza driver