Starcraft Starcraft 16.67-3 - family layout

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
I see there is a couple of new Starcraft layouts and one caught my attention, the 16.67-3, pop-top.

Basically a 16 series (single axle) with double bed at the front, bunks and ensuite at the rear, kitchen and dinette in the middle. Its a lot to fit into a 16 series, but if van storage space is an issue, worth considering.

Also they are much cheaper being the Starcraft model.

Not much info out there, but the new 2013 Starcraft brochure on the Jayco website has the layout and specs. I have some photos a dealer sent me i will upload later.

16673 starcraft.gif

No i haven't ordered one, will wait to see one in the flesh first, but thought it might suit others with small familes.

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
MM, that's a great layout. It's got everything you want. Look forward to seeing your pictures.
Cheers Deano

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Hopefully this works, the photos are in pdf format.

I also have some photos of the 16.67-1 which has an extra bunk instead of the ensuite but shows the main bed and kitchen better.

Attachments

• 16.67-3 SC photos.pdf
    621.9 KB · Views: 2,764

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Here is the 16.67-1 photos, gives a better view of the front bed and kitchen.

Attachments

• 16.67-1SC photos.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,005

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Keen to see this one myself, Our Dealer is expecting on next week for stock, hopefully Jayco will pull their finger out and have all new models ready for Rosehill Show nxt month.

It needs a side splash back at end of the stove.
why put the TV outlet above the bed, at the pillow end?

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Yeh i went to the Illawarra Show hoping to see one, but no luck.

According to the OB specs it only 200mm longer than my expanda, and exactly the same weight.

Mrs Moto Moto dosen't like the kitchen, too small and no prep area, which is about the only down side i can see.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
I am still considering this model, so thought i would bump this thread.

I am yet to see one in the flesh, has anyone out there been in one? Thoughts?

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
I am still considering this model, so thought i would bump this thread.

I am yet to see one in the flesh, has anyone out there been in one? Thoughts?

I'm think your fellow Victorian BT driver as been in one, I've only seen triple bunk model didn't think much of it, I'm paying Rob in Canberrra a visit on Monday I'll have a snoop around

CJ1177

Jan 28, 2013
Newcastle
www.facebook.com
Hey Moto Moto we had a good look at one at Newcastle when they first became available the week after the Newcastle caravan show (smoke was still clearing from the fire in the show room)

We were deciding between one of those or the 14.44-4 & on paper it was fantastic just what we were looking for, BUT as Mrs Moto Moto said the kitchen area was to small, with no prep area.

The deal breaker for us was actually the width of the bed is quite narrow, apparently its a double bed but we are certain it's narrower then that, as a comparison the bed is considerably narrower but longer than the expanda bed, plus to make it fell even smaller the front wall slopes over the side of the bed.

The dining area is acceptable but smaller then the 14.44-4

BaxnRach

Apr 5, 2013
Cobram Vic
Only problem I see with this layout is the lack of storage,
I've just bought the Discovery 17.55.5, mainly because of the huge amount available,
food for thought.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Thanks for the feedback.

I think i need to see one in the flesh, to put the idea to rest.

Say hi to Rob for me Bushy.

hamish22

May 12, 2013
West of Newcastle
www.grmotorsport.com.au
Checked an Outback model (less ensuite) at Jayco Newcastle.
Good looking van but the Double bed seemed a tad small and as stated no bench space.

One I looked at is exactly the same as the older Family Jayco Freedom layout!

Did seem cosy though and the thought of just pulling the roof down to go home is good!

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
OK here we go :pop2:

We too have been talking about this model for a while after checking one out a few months ago. I like it for its light weight and length plus its got everything we need and like and its got a toilet shower. We currently have a 16.49-3 which we love especially the length an weight which is why this StarCraft got our attention.

The last couple of weeks have included a couple more trips to the dealer to check it out. The size of the front bed was in our mind but it actually wasn't as bad as we 1st remembered, then we checked out the storage which is also enough for our needs as we travel as minimalists ;) . Yes the bench space is virtually non existent but we don't cook much inside either way. There is 3 options for the TV which I was surprised about, no biggy just an observation

The downside for us was the bottom bunk as it was very close to the top bunk. The actual hard walls below the poptop are lower than the Expanda, so travel height is low but this made the bunk heights limited imo. The plus side though is that you can lookout through the poptop windows 8-)

This assessment is a bit long winded I know but, the main clincher for us on not taking the next step is the bottom bunk has a fixed window. This is because the HWS is below the bottom bunk so it is vented here. For us the bottom bunk could/would get very hot in summer. Maybe the HWS could be moved but it could create the same problem elsewhere and be to far from the shower.

Plus we love our model Expanda and it suits us perfectly and is set up how we need it plus for a van you open the bed ends it is nice and cool in summer which is good for our free camping (no A/C). Winter camping has no complaints either :smow: We don't want a tandem so other options are out and this fits in garage too. Nothing wrong with looking though :thumb:

And yes you all like pics so here you go so enough from me :lalala:

We even got hold of some plans, note the bottom bunk fixed window.
068_zpsb1b108f2.jpg

The inside
043_zpscda6d66a.jpg

The other end
044_zps6c020013.jpg

And the price list ex Vic
048_zps2db17991.jpg

hamish22

May 12, 2013
West of Newcastle
www.grmotorsport.com.au
Cruza

We also looked deeply into this model with shower, but to have the dinette removed and replaced with a bench longe for more floor space.

Shopped around for price on shower model OB, with full vinyl annexe, aerial, solar, battery pack, external shower, external tv aerial + lounge modification and was given a best price of 40,000.

Was sort of keen until we found Jayco Sports Expanda, but as Cruza said that bottom bunk had me struggling to get out without causing mayhem and possibly breaking something down the track. Didn't know and wasn't informed that the bottom bunk window was fixed either which would have had me pretty unhappy as that bottom bunk really needs air.

This van would be ideal in a 17' to 18' with bigger bunks and a little more bench.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I really like your Expanda sport hamish22 it's a great model imo.

I don't think I would totally rule out this model yet but we're sticking with what we have, plus lots of happy holidays in this current Expanda :thumb:

Reactions: hamish22