Smergen's LTZ Colorado - The Rock Truck

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
I got the Holden one and I was really impressed with the fit and finish. I really looks like it is meant to be there. I got a well known brand one in my 50 and it is no where near as good as the Holden one. At the time I said i didn't really care which liner I got as its only a piece of plastic. The tail gate inside cover is a good fit and looks just as good as the liner. Maybe I got a good installer or maybe they improved them. Happy to take a photo for you smergen if you want.

Mine needed more screws fitted to keep all the gaps closed plus they threw the tie down eyes away and tried to tell me you can't have them with the liner fitted ! They had to get better ones after I told them they were trying to bu$&sh$/ me .
Maybe it was the fitter but I'd still go the ARB for me .

Reactions: skippy and Drover

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
mfexpanda, sound like the same guy who fitted mine in the BT 50. Got a bag with the factory tie downs in it. Surplus to his requirements!

Reactions: mfexpanda

BLJM

Nov 7, 2013
chirnside park
Very nice @Smergen, is it the improved 500Nm motor?
I've had mine for about 14 mnths now and haven't had one drama. Two trips two Central Coast NSW from Melb sitting 110 the whole way towing 17/56 and get around 14/15 l/100.
Would love to go shopping like you are planning but company car so makes it hard.
Do regret not getting either hard lid or canopy as soft cover does leak around bar work.
with van on back it sat very nice (van is underslung) but found it to be to soft causing to much noise to tail floating so I put Boss air bags on and only run 15 psi and this last trip was fantastic.
Can't wait to see her when you start. Will watch with interest. Cheers

Reactions: Smergen

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Thanks @BLJM. Yep, it's the 500Nm motor, with the auto. Apparently 440Nm with the manual, which sealed the decision to go the auto. :)

It's the MY15 which has a couple of upgrades, namely:
  • Interior improvements on the dash (i.e. piano finish around the stereo)
  • Cabin soundproofing improving
  • Suspension upgrade in the LTZ to make it more compliant (lose a little carrying capacity which doesn't worry me)
Great to hear the reports as well on trips done. I'll keep an eye on the suspension at the back. I thought it was a little soft at first, but it's brand new and I certainly want to give it time.

Really looking forward to the build over the next 12 months.

Reactions: Bellbirdweb

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
The suspension will normally be fine with the van on its when you start loading up the back of the ute too. Best way to check once all loaded stick your head under the rear and make sure you have plenty of bump stop clearance.

Its a good excuse to lift it a couple of inches ;)

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
The suspension will normally be fine with the van on its when you start loading up the back of the ute too. Best way to check once all loaded stick your head under the rear and make sure you have plenty of bump stop clearance.

Its a good excuse to lift it a couple of inches ;)

Yeah, I've owned a ute before and notice it's always a little better with a bit more weight over the back wheels. Gives me an excuse to always pack the golf clubs, the Tekno barrel and a quality supply of wood. :) But you are right... I definitely need to lift it a bit more... :)

Congrats on the new ute. Gee you don't muck around. Was only last week you were still deciding which one.

I don't tend to much around with these things. Looking back in the other thread as to why I bought it, I did have a "window of opportunity" with the offer I was made. Not quite "snooze you lose" type thing, but a quick ring around of other dealers and prices new that others couldn't get close to the price for comparable levels of equipment. So value for money meant there was no need to dwell on it. And if you are ready to buy, why wait?? :) I couldn't leave the forumites hanging around for the "mod phase" now could I?

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
@skippy is spot on, especially with getting the EGR shut off they are the biggest killers of Common Rails and a catch can is a must as early as possible, now it's not panic stations, EGR lets sooty exhaust into the engine at times which mixes with the compressed oily air from the turbo, makes a big gooey mess at the intake manifold, all CRD's have this problem to various degrees, the EGR can be shut off by usually a chip or other device and the catch can just collects most of the oil from the air that vents from the sump/rocker cover and stops it going into the engine.

As @Drover said it pays no have one of this simple items.
Here is a link to that catch can as well.
There are cheaper ones around but this one is a direct fit to suit the RG Colorado's 2.8Ltr >>
http://hpdiesel.com.au/catch-cans/holden/holden-colorado-2012-2.8lt-catch-can

Reactions: Drover

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
Very nice @Smergen, is it the improved 500Nm motor?
I've had mine for about 14 mnths now and haven't had one drama. Two trips two Central Coast NSW from Melb sitting 110 the whole way towing 17/56 and get around 14/15 l/100.
Would love to go shopping like you are planning but company car so makes it hard.
Do regret not getting either hard lid or canopy as soft cover does leak around bar work.
with van on back it sat very nice (van is underslung) but found it to be to soft causing to much noise to tail floating so I put Boss air bags on and only run 15 psi and this last trip was fantastic.
Can't wait to see her when you start. Will watch with interest. Cheers

I too have the air bags and found that they really come into play mainly off-road in aiding with ground clearance at the rear A-frame on the caravan and also in keeping the tow bar at the correct height when bottoming out on off-road tracks.

Reactions: BLJM

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
I always wonder with things like this and better fuel filters etc why the manufacturers don't do it or even have them as an accessory option.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
I always wonder with things like this and better fuel filters etc why the manufacturers don't do it or even have them as an accessory option.

I suspect it comes down to a couple of things I reckon @macca:
  1. Cost - premium parts would bring the list price up which makes the vehicle unnattractive. Like you said though, it could easily be offered as an option.
  2. Reliability - car manufacturers need to make their cars as bulletproof as possible to make claims agains warranties as least likely as possible. By de-tuning them, they run them as conservatively as possible.

Reactions: skippy and Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I run an extra fuel filter on my CRD it just makes sure I have clean fuel and as a bonus is easier and cheaper than the main filter, I have also fitted a EGR defeat and a catch can which have done a good job for the last 150,000km.

It would be great to have a new wagon and to go shopping at ARB, just fill the tray up thanks.............now where's those winning numbers for Saturday ???????

Reactions: skippy and Smergen

BLJM

Nov 7, 2013
chirnside park
@Smergen have they changed the fuel filler size?
Not sure about other brands, ford Mazda ect but the colorado has a small opening so it makes it pain when you get a high flow pump.
When ive got the van on the back I just pull up to the easiest pump and it's usually high flow and when you got to fill it up it seems to take longer because your trying not to get diesel everywhere.

Reactions: macca and Smergen

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
@Smergen have they changed the fuel filler size?

Not sure if the size has changed, as I've never owned one. I've only filled up once also since new but didn't really notice anything different than the Paj. Having said that, it was a standard pump.

And whilst I'm at it the stats for that fill were 65.43L for 716.6km. Translated = 9.1L/100km. Given that it's a new engine requiring running in, and 230km of towing the van in high winds I'm pretty happy with that!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Enough, enough I don't want to hear 9.1l/100k even when towing !!!!!!!!!!!!! The Jeeperific gets that on it's own, your just making me feel depressed but then when I think of what a Cruiser driving is going thru, I do get a smile....

But then thats something to put forward the Finance Minister about getting a new horse but she always spoils the thought by asking about money though.

Bloody pain the high flow/low flow saga when you have the van especially as some places only have the flow tag at the nozzle so you don't see it till your on the pump, I usually drive away then,