Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
It also says that the forum has disallowed pics from this app too.

Ok two things -

1) Notifications from what I can see runs of your forum settings so if you forum unread looks fine on a PC then its a problem with app

2) Images is disabled as what they do is load images to there image hosting which stops us from being able to control the images. Its not that we want to control the world but if they host the images and they go down then we have no way of fixing it. This is one of the reasons I didn't want to go down the path of tapatalk as it removes alot of accessibility from the site and puts it solely in the hands of taptalk and that's a risky call to make.

Having said all that keep the feedback coming and ill take a look at it.

But I need to get the app for myself so I can delve into it a little more as right now it doesn't tell me very much.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
No worries mate, I was hoping it would just work, because I knew you were apprehensive about it to start with. It still works fine on my other forums, scratching my head. I will see what I can find out.

Keep me updated as I do want to make sure it works for you and will investigate and liase with tapatalk from my end on issues you are having.

Your accessbility to the site is paramount to me and if you are not having much luck with the app I will help as much as I can to get it right!

The biggest problem I have with it is the fact they charge you for it and they sucker you in and make you pay for additional extras which is not always clear and they are not visible about what they are dong.

This forum has and always will be a FREE resource to people and whilst I understand the need for a mobile app I don't like the fact you have to pay for access to tapatalk and then later on down the track have to pay for image hosting.

In terms of images they let you load up images but from memory you are only allowed to load 30 or 40 images through the app and then a pop up says "You can load more just pay for it". So at this point you have paid for the app and the images hosting which is close to $7. Granted it gives you access to many forums not just one but consider this -

1) You cancel your tapatalk account / remove the app. All those images you loaded to tapatalk go bye bye and the forum looses a resource and a massive amount of pictures. I have seen it happen on many forums and they loose these images for good. There is no way back from it once they are gone they are gone. We have not control over this as the images like photo bucket etc are stored on tapatalks servers not ours.

2) We invest as the development team heavily in storage and server resources to provide you with unlimited FREE image hosting. We currently house close to 7,000 images on the site dating back to 2009 totalling 5GB's in size and growing daily. We have no issue with this but the main driver behind the site is that it should be FREE for you to use not a cost.

That is and always has been my hestitation to things like tapatalk as they make the app to make money not provide you with a free resource.

Its a great app don't get me wrong as it combines many things into one so reduces your reliance on multiple resources but what it does do is that it removes the whole FREE aspect from the forum and puts money in the coffers of large corporations. Again it also introduces the possibility of a resource break by loosing images which is something we have always wanted to avoid and have invested heavily in technology to achive this.

Further to this the way the web is moving now considering the heavy demand on mobile devices is to what is called "Responsive Design" what this does is renders the website in the required aspect of your device. So for instance now when I look at the forum on my android mobile it justs shows me the site in its full width. Sure I can drag it around etc but its niggly. Responsive design would detect I am on a mobile device and reduce the aspect of the site to dispaly correctly on my handset still providing the same functionality of the forum but in a much easier to read and navigate window. Most web based software packages are heading down this path now and I am already testing this for our site but what it does do most importantly is that it keeps it FREE and allows multiple image uploads for FREE.

Hope this makes sense but this is my view point on tapatalk for and against.

Please don't take it in the wrong light I understand its usefulness for some people and that it makes alot of things simpler but I am anti anything that causes you are users a cost :)!

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
ok:
I get this when trying to upload pics (on the pc) am i missing something?
Capture_zps10d7367a.png
and on Tapatalk when I go to the forum list i get this:
photo1_zps4858ba6d.png
When on 4wd adventurers forum I get this:
photo2_zps95745f43.png
But it was working on Expandas Downunder last night so Im not sure what happened.

Attachments

• Capture_zps10d7367a.png
    Capture_zps10d7367a.png
    319.4 KB · Views: 202
  • photo1_zps4858ba6d.png
    photo1_zps4858ba6d.png
    25.6 KB · Views: 223
  • photo2_zps95745f43.png
    photo2_zps95745f43.png
    80.9 KB · Views: 224

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
That image icon is a little deciving as you only clicon on it if you have an image you would like to link to.

To load a new attachment (Image, PDF etc etc) click on this button and the choose to insert full image or thumbnail -

1.4.png

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Banner it prompts you to get the app if you don't have it

Trying to close it fails so if you don't want the app and try and close the banner you couldn't

I have no control over this banner its all done by the tapatalk solution.

Have been reading about it and we are not alone.....

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
WOW lots of changes! I have not been contributing much for the past weeks, been very busy!
I seem to come up as a new mwmber for some reason? even after a couple of hundred posts? I love the new look and did i miss something on a new app? if so whats the name so i can download.
Have new tug and some some new mods to show when i get the cance to put up!! cheers

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
WOW lots of changes! I have not been contributing much for the past weeks, been very busy!
I seem to come up as a new mwmber for some reason? even after a couple of hundred posts? I love the new look and did i miss something on a new app? if so whats the name so i can download.
Have new tug and some some new mods to show when i get the cance to put up!! cheers

Good to see you back leesy and look forward to the pics!