Interior sink emptying.

jtdt

Feb 4, 2014
Mooroolbark
For as long as I have owned caravans since the early 1970s I have had the issue of water in the sink taking forever to empty.
Today, a fellow camper helped me install the answer.
It took 10 minutes and cost $5.50 for
parts from Bunnings.
Why hasn't Jayco and other van makers fixed the problem.
The washing up sink full of sudsy water emptied in 3 seconds flat tonight and the fix is permanent.
just shows van makers never actually use their products in the real world.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
A bucket? If you see the restrictions in their pipe work, has to be more to it. I would like to see what your fix is.

jtdt

Feb 4, 2014
Mooroolbark
Very sorry.
phone rang !
All we did was cut existing pipe outlet about 1 ft back from where hose is attached.
bought length of plastic pipe , a joining piece and a tee section piece from Bunnings. We attached joiner to point where we cut pipe and added very short piece of pipe then we attached tee piece so that one side faced up under van and then another piece of pipe making sure nothing bloked its open end.
Then we added another small piece of pipe and finally the screw fitting supplied with van.
So looking at it under van all we really did was add a piece of pipe to let air into system by using tee piece and short pipe vertically.
Our van is an Outback but any van could use this principle.
Fellow who helped me has his tied to rear
bumper and removes it when travelling.
By letting air in the pressure works to empty sink very fast.

Reactions: Antman

Colsar

May 10, 2014
Mornington Peninsula
There u go y fitting and breather pipe, the bigger the breather the faster the flow.
Works for electrical wires, a short piece of the positive on your battery wire allows the current to follow better on the supply wire, nah just kidding, I had a mate (electrician) tell an office worker once they could fix the fast air flow from a ceiling vent by putting a knot in the fan motor lead, and she was impressed at how easy it was to fix, true story.

Reactions: Burnsy and Antman

jtdt

Feb 4, 2014
Mooroolbark
LOL re electrical jokes.
sorry guys I will have to answer any questions tomorrow as wifi is so dear when travelling.
good night.
ps my wife is so happy.
she used to wait hrs for sink to empty.
now is Whoooooosh ! Gone.
Remember ' Happy Wife Happy Life '

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
I would be interested to see how that would go on a site where the sullage hose is extended full length. I tried that set up before but found it would overflow out of the "air" open end at full hose length. The theory of letting air in makes perfect sense. I fitted an air admittance valve in my last van and that made a difference but in the end the shorter the drain hose the better they work. Thanks for sharing.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
LOL re electrical jokes.
sorry guys I will have to answer any questions tomorrow as wifi is so dear when travelling.
good night.
ps my wife is so happy.
she used to wait hrs for sink to empty.
now is Whoooooosh ! Gone.
Remember ' Happy Wife Happy Life '
Love to see a photo of this if anybody has one! Would also like to solve this problem

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
Love to see a photo of this if anybody has one! Would also like to solve this problem

What a happy wife photo, LOL? No really, I have been the exact same scenario with our previous Swan. I had cut the drain fitting which attaches to external outlet connection and raised it off the ground to create more of a gravity drain, worked a treat. Expanda now has the same setup and no issues, shower,basin and sink all drain well with full length of sullage hose too. Pace.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Thanks Pace, still trying to picture how this all fits together, sketch maybe? We have 14.4-5 OB and frustrated with slow draining shower, basin etc.
Thanks
Hank

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
I would be interested to see how that would go on a site where the sullage hose is extended full length. I tried that set up before but found it would overflow out of the "air" open end at full hose length. The theory of letting air in makes perfect sense. I fitted an air admittance valve in my last van and that made a difference but in the end the shorter the drain hose the better they work. Thanks for sharing.

Could you fit a one way valve in the 'open end' - air sucks in one way, no outflow the other?

Colsar

May 10, 2014
Mornington Peninsula
nice one stray dingo good idea, i commented on this thread and now i have a leaking sink waste (bugger), pulled it out today and found that the push in fitting from the top blocks one third of the out flow, have now purchased straight down fitting with a nut, to improve flow. leaking as the fitting not sealed that well and push fitting not as tight as the one with nut.
P6100020.JPG

Gibbo

Mar 17, 2013
Bayside
image.jpg
image.jpg
I did the same addition to my sink. To stop water coming out of the end of the breather pipe I simply ran the breather up the cavity behind the microwave so the top of the breather is higher than the sink. It works well

Reactions: cruza driver

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
For anyone with a shower, that should also work as a breather when emptying the sink. I had to add a non return valve to stop sink water coming up in shower.