18' Series Sink draining slow

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
Thats a great idea

Yep and it works a treat as well, I got the idea from this forum but I cant remember who it was. We were sick and tied of having to clean the bottom of the shower every time we let the dish water go, as water does it takes the path of least resistance.

This meant with the sulage hose hooked to the van outlet it would come up in the shower before exiting the van, put your foot over the shower drain and or put the plug in and the sink would take forever to drain.

I was about to start ripping into the plumbing to add an air intake and remove all the bends in the run when I came across this idea. 99 cent bucket, 6 dollar skin fitting hole saw and 2 minutes work.

Just ensure you put the skin fitting a few inches up the bucket so it will hold a few litres of water and not be blown over by the wind.

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Yep and it works a treat as well, I got the idea from this forum but I cant remember who it was. We were sick and tied of having to clean the bottom of the shower every time we let the dish water go, as water does it takes the path of least resistance.

This meant with the sulage hose hooked to the van outlet it would come up in the shower before exiting the van, put your foot over the shower drain and or put the plug in and the sink would take forever to drain.

I was about to start ripping into the plumbing to add an air intake and remove all the bends in the run when I came across this idea. 99 cent bucket, 6 dollar skin fitting hole saw and 2 minutes work.

Just ensure you put the skin fitting a few inches up the bucket so it will hold a few litres of water and not be blown over by the wind.
Hi,

we only have to collect from the sink so we put a bucket under the outlet. Then, to prevent the wind blowing it away, I put a piece of concrete tile in the bottom.

Then, since we drove off with the bucket still under the van, I tied a bright yellow and blue rope about 2m long to the handle and always lay it out to the side of the van where it is clearly visible!

cheers
Mike

Reactions: Axl

Duncanblake36

Nov 17, 2016
Doreen
Hi All,
This worked for my 2015 Expanda 17.56.2
My sink was taking ages to drain - was not impressed. Now all drains drain really fast without problem.
Just thought I'd share how fixed my drain issue. Took about 30 minutes to do.
Go to bunnings and buy
1 x Bag of Zip Ties - https://www.bunnings.com.au/crescent-300-x-8mm-heavy-duty-black-cable-ties-100-pack_p4435093
3 x of these (breathers) - https://www.bunnings.com.au/pope-25-x-13mm-barbed-reducing-tee_p3126463
6 x of these (hose clamps) - https://www.bunnings.com.au/prime-25-38mm-solid-band-hose-clamp_p3110913
spare garden hose.

Tools
Stanley Knife, cutters and screw driver

Now get under the caravan and cut all existing zip ties and align the drain pipe from where it comes out of the sink (under the van). Make this as high as you can (I took a section out of mine to make it higher to begin with - towards where it comes out of the floor). Then make the drain pipe slowly get lower till you get to the end. I have a sink in the toilet so mine goes to a T then that goes to the drain point.
Install the 3 breathers in 3 separate locations along the drainage hose. I put 2 on the main hose and one on the toilet sink. 3 is probably overkill but it works for me. Make sure that the small pipe on the breather is facing upward. Not that it needed it but I extended these with a bit of hose.

Once you have them installed zip tie it all nice and tight.

Drainage end pipe - Bloody useless. I removed it completely. It defied gravity as it made the dain go up hill. I had some spare sprinkler parts so I installed this See photo. Its just a T joiner and some extension parts. The drainage hose screws onto the end.

Ever since doing this the drain works fine. All up cost me $10.

Attachments

• breather.jpg
    breather.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 359
  • New end point.jpg
    New end point.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 371
  • old end point.jpg
    old end point.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 388
Reactions: dagree and Dobbie