18' Series Sink draining slow

Bennov

Feb 27, 2016
Ringwood, vic
Hi all,
Taken our new 18.58.2 out now probably half a dozen times now. Bloody love it. I have some minor issues. the main sink drains very slowly. Any thoughts on how I can improve this. I've tried blocking the bathroom sink without impact.

Thank you

Reactions: wally

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW
I pulled mine apart and found the Centre piece (that screws into the elbow) extended into the elbow restricting it. I pulled it apart ( the centre piece unscrews from the elbow) and cut down the centre piece thatt screws into the elbow and sealed it. It drains very fast compared to before. You can also do what Red1 did and purchase a straight fitting. It's the same one used in the shower floor drain. I was going to do this if modifiing the existing one didn't work. Also check and make sure that the hose isn't kinked where it goes through the floor as this will restrict it as well.
Cheers
Nick

Bennov

Feb 27, 2016
Ringwood, vic
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll check it out today.
I imagine this is something that jayco should resolve as a warranty item?
Also, how often should the hot water system come on when on gas. Over night it feels like it's heating more often than not as I can hear it boiling?

Thanks again.
Ben

ChrisFatboySydney

Feb 29, 2016
Sydney
Also, how often should the hot water system come on when on gas. Over night it feels like it's heating more often than not as I can hear it boiling?

I had a slow draining issue that ended up being a wash cloth getting sucked down the drain - you can imagine my surprise when I found that stuck in there.

Regarding hot water - I found mine would come on every hour or so for a boost if no hot water was being used. As it is a small tank if you use any hot water it would come on pretty often.

Chris

Reactions: wally and Bennov

WHHEMI

Jan 18, 2016
Yarra Valley

Thanks again.
Ben
We turn our HWS off when finished with it to save gas. Turn it on in morning's for showers and dishes, it only takes 20 minutes to heat up.

Bennov

Feb 27, 2016
Ringwood, vic
The issue I found with ours was that there is a 90 degree bend on the bottom of the sink. I changed ours to a straight outlet. Got it from Jayco. All good now
Did the straight piece then interfere with the top draw? I suppose I can secure to the panel and gently transition to the side wall of van?
Would you mind taking a photo when you have a chance?

Thanks

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
If your pipe you connect to van is small it will be slow mines 32mm inside the pipe also get under van cable tie up the water hose so its got some kind of fall mine was up and down now if put my finger in plug would rip my skin off whirlpools out of there shower makes no diffrence to the flow if anything it helps with air flow

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
20170126_095710.jpg this is mine very easy system and looks good very neat the hose is pool hose from clark rubber the normal hose jayco give you is just crap to connect to van pvc pipes

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
potentially also vapour lock.
Plumbing a non-return air value into the line allows air to be sucked in while draining. Think pouring something from a jug - glug glug glug - air in, liquid out (in its simplest sense)
I notice it in particular when I have the black 10m hose connected to the outlet. If I'm emptying straight into a bucket under the outlet, its much quicker. Something to do with the travel of a gas in liquid over distance.
Something else on my never-done to do list - adding a valve admittance valve. Trouble is smallest I can find is 40mm
p_SCP_215_06.jpg

Tucker

May 4, 2016
Geelong, Victoria
Where the outlet pipes leave the rear of the van remove the clear pipe which is attached to the white pvc fitting via hose clamps as I had the same issue and I had a grape stuck in there removed and works a treat

Reactions: wally and bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Just swap the 90 deg drain to a straight one, if a draw is below add a 90 deg, poly fitting, 60c from bunnings, it won't slow things down and you can still get a chux sucked down the hole, adding a one way valve down the back with the standard Jayco plumbing run is just going to slow things down even more unless you you go over your plumbing run. I don't like the use of PVC pipes though as they have no give and in time can be rock food .

When using gas for the HWS just turn it on 15 mins before using it, then turn it off.

Last edited:

Bretthar

Jul 11, 2016
sydney
Got the same problem after second trip, issue is the drain hose comes out of the right angle fitting on sink and curves down towards back of cupboard, the hose has a massive kink in it due to the bend. Checked out a friends 16ft and they have 90deg elbow where it goes down the back of the cupboard. I reckon another elbow will fix mine.
Does your hose go straight from sink down back of cupboard or you have an extra elbow?

wally

Mar 14, 2016
brisbane
image.jpeg
Yeah had same probs with my new 16-49-1...its a venting problem ..fixed it by making a vent that fits between the hose and the van fitting ..works a treat , creates a whirlpool in the sink, clear plastic hose needs to about half way up side of van , I have a small stainless stick on hook to hold top of hose just under the top fridge vent

Bennov

Feb 27, 2016
Ringwood, vic
Got the same problem after second trip, issue is the drain hose comes out of the right angle fitting on sink and curves down towards back of cupboard, the hose has a massive kink in it due to the bend. Checked out a friends 16ft and they have 90deg elbow where it goes down the back of the cupboard. I reckon another elbow will fix mine.
Does your hose go straight from sink down back of cupboard or you have an extra elbow?
Hi mate, mine has a second 90 deg bend near the wall. Sounds like they accidentally missed yours.... Unfortunately still doesn't improve the draining situation.
I was thinking an air release with one way valve in the horizontal section between the 2 90's would fix the problem. But will try getting jayco to do something about it first.

Bretthar

Jul 11, 2016
sydney
I added the 90 deg bend in today and big improvement over the kinked hose, got a whirlpool going down drain now. Couldn't be bothered waiting for my first service and getting jayco to do it, $4.50 at bunnings for elbow and 2 hose clamps.
Must have got the new guy doing plumbing on mine, also had issue with filler for tanks , back filler does front tank but back breather is from back tank, also have trouble filling front tank, water wants to come out filler, no issue with back tank