20' Series Shopping list and thoughts

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I hope no one has to get up in the wee hours for a call to nature....and spots a caravan parked nearby.

"Hey! There's someone using our place for a free camp. Lousy freeloaders. Should I call the police or let the dog out to deal with it! Where's that shotgun when you need it?"

:brick:

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
Yeah. I'd love to hear what the reaction is to the surprise.

Can't think of a better Christmas present for the family and the future.

Did you get an appropriate card, toy, game to go with it?

Yeap - got a new UNO deck. Was really trying to get that monopoly set to put under the tree but no chance.

I hope no one has to get up in the wee hours for a call to nature....and spots a caravan parked nearby.

"Hey! There's someone using our place for a free camp. Lousy freeloaders. Should I call the police or let the dog out to deal with it! Where's that shotgun when you need it?"

:brick:
If you have seen our dog you wouldn't be scared. Better off releasing the 6 year old :p

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Congrats @Macca_75 and yes there is a lot to take in at handover..... Best thing is to get out there and practice everything at home before you go away. Nothing worse than getting to your first camp site and the hoards of "experienced people" coming over while you are setting up and giving you their opinions.

If you have seen our dog you wouldn't be scared. Better off releasing the 6 year old :p
Sounds like our mutt...... Be afraid and run or get licked to death :D

Good luck with Christmas morning and put the ear plugs in before opening the front door and letting the family out!

Reactions: Delano and bigcol

ChrisFatboySydney

Feb 29, 2016
Sydney
  • A little annoyed - I thought the storm covers could be left on permanetly, apparently they need to be removed and added every time we want to use them

Are you sure? From the campsmart.net.au website for the description of the storm covers it says this..

Important Change for the 2016/2017 Storm Covers:

The 2016/17 Jayco Storm Covers now include a custom cutout section around the locking mechanism of the van. This great new feature is a new addition for the 2016/2017 and allows you to keep the storm covers on in transit. The last photo on this advert includes a photo of this section. We are in the process of updating the adverts and more photos of this new feature will be included shortly.

Photo attached to post

Attachments

• IMG_2063.JPG
    IMG_2063.JPG
    179 KB · Views: 230

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
Are you sure? From the campsmart.net.au website for the description of the storm covers it says this..

Important Change for the 2016/2017 Storm Covers:

The 2016/17 Jayco Storm Covers now include a custom cutout section around the locking mechanism of the van. This great new feature is a new addition for the 2016/2017 and allows you to keep the storm covers on in transit. The last photo on this advert includes a photo of this section. We are in the process of updating the adverts and more photos of this new feature will be included shortly.

Photo attached to post

I've got them ones on mine mate and with the way the salesman showed me to put the loop bar on top of the mattress I would never have fitted them in when closing, now I put the loop bar under the mattress I have plenty of room to leave them on now. The loop bar is narrower than the mattress so it takes up too much space when it is strapped on top.

I will try them and let you know how it goes.

ChrisFatboySydney

Feb 29, 2016
Sydney
I've got them ones on mine mate and with the way the salesman showed me to put the loop bar on top of the mattress I would never have fitted them in when closing, now I put the loop bar under the mattress I have plenty of room to leave them on now. The loop bar is narrower than the mattress so it takes up too much space when it is strapped on top.

I will try them and let you know how it goes.

Terrific. I know you said they only took a few minutes to attach but it made me think when I saw the campsmart description.

On my 16" I also go hoop under and find it closes much easier..

Ck

Reactions: bigcol

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
Hey all,

Pleased to say that all went well on Xmas morning. My Uncle helped me come up with a cover story that needed me to go out and help him at 1am. In reality I headed over to another friends house and rigged it up and bought the new pressie home.

Here it is a t 2am in the morning (what a struggle to get it in the drive on my own in the dark)

View media item 212
And then in the morning the big surprise was unveiled

View media item 213
It was a hit and left SWITBO lost for words. For anyone that doesn't know me, I don't make decisions and can't remember the last time I bought anything over $100 without letting the minister of finance know about it beforehand.

We headed off to the shops when they re-opened and bought some of the essentials (containers, basic kitchen utensils, etc. Loaded up the van with toys, food, sleeping linen and headed off to Lake Glenmaggie for it's first outing

View media item 214
Well the first three days where a killer. 35+ heat and humidity of about 150% (at least thats what it felt like). The van went really well and was enjoyable after it cooled down a bit.

The ups:
i'm still happily married ;)
It tows like a dream without a WDH. Got it up to 110 on the Strezleki and it didn't move.
Much, much, much easier and quicker to setup than the old camper.
Much more comfortable than the old camper.
We managed 6 days of free camping before running out of water (5 of us showered every day as we were in the lake every day and needed to freshen up after the humidity)

The downs:
There really aren't any major downers however I guess a few points worth noting.
The curtain clips break really easy - we have already started replacing them. Luckily they are only $2.50 for 10
The fridge struggled for a few days (more accurately the freezer). This was in large our fault - we didn't know to turn the fan on in hot conditions. I think the humid conditions also didn't help. Once it got down to temp is seemed OK on gas.
A tarps is OK for use outside the van, bit it traps a lot of the sand and dirt. We will need one of those sand/rubber mats. Any idea's/recommendations?
Oh - and one of the handles on the cupboards has already broken. No big deal - just need to head back and get it replaced.

So where to from here.

I'm going to catch up with @AzHaych and check out his bike racks - I need them on before we head up to Merrimbula. We are also heading away this weekend and I want to try and get some more kitchen gear and a privacy screen sorted.

If I get a chance this week i will also fit the Privacy screens and see if they can in fact be left on.

Well, I better get off this forum and start getting ready for the next outing.

rcf

Jun 15, 2014
Gladstone Qld
Hey @Macca_75 get xmas present... we got our van same one as you at the start of December.. we have put our jayco privacy screens on and have left them on.. just a little fiddling tucking them in and trying to shut the lids but its worth it i think.. we have only used it twice now.. we are going to coolwaters in yeppoon for 3 nites.. so carnt wait for that..

Reactions: Macca_75 and bigcol

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Great update and I love the enthusiasm of getting the van in. Awesome stuff.

As for the mat, we decided to bite the bullet on an expensive CGear mat and haven't looked back. Brilliant bit of kit and keeps the sand and dirt out of the van pretty well. We team it with some foam mats at the door and it's all good.

Reactions: Macca_75 and bigcol

Derm

Oct 18, 2015
Mornington Peninsula
Well done Macca great looking rig, the family will love it. We have sold our trusty 17:56/2 and have the same van as yours on order and can't wait for it to arrive, will also look at adding the bike racks. Enjoy!

Reactions: Macca_75

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Thank god for that!

I was starting to really wonder how you fared....we feel we were a small part of the surprise!

As to mats...cgear is good and the other rubbery stuff not quite as good.

Enjoy the fun of the new van and the upgraded camping experience.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Well done @Macca_75 and good to hear you are still happily married ;) Didn't have any doubts that the family wouldn't like a surprise like that!

Another vote here for the cgear mat..... worth every cent!

Enjoy your trips away!

Last edited:
Reactions: bigcol and Macca_75

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
Hey @Macca_75 get xmas present... we got our van same one as you at the start of December.. we have put our jayco privacy screens on and have left them on.. just a little fiddling tucking them in and trying to shut the lids but its worth it i think.. we have only used it twice now.. we are going to coolwaters in yeppoon for 3 nites.. so carnt wait for that..
Cool - might have to give it a try after work one night - seems like they may fit after all. I read somewhere that tucking the bars under the mattress gives you extra room for the canvas so will also look into this as well as the mod for moving the pole to the outside.

Great update and I love the enthusiasm of getting the van in. Awesome stuff.

As for the mat, we decided to bite the bullet on an expensive CGear mat and haven't looked back. Brilliant bit of kit and keeps the sand and dirt out of the van pretty well. We team it with some foam mats at the door and it's all good.
I was sold on the CGear last night - visited the Jayco store today and they have the Camec stuff. I still like the smaller tighter knit on the CGear and (other than the price) am yet to read a bad review or someone that wishes they didn't buy it. I can live with the price if the product is good. Thinking the 6m version so if we ever get an annex it will poke out the front (sound logical advice from the Jayco shop). Also found this comparison online -
http://www.sunbuster.net.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/CWCARTICLE1.pdf

Well done Macca great looking rig, the family will love it. We have sold our trusty 17:56/2 and have the same van as yours on order and can't wait for it to arrive, will also look at adding the bike racks. Enjoy!
I'm going to pay @AzHaych a visit in the flesh as I love what he did and he is 5 mins from me (here is a link to his racks) - you'd be welcome to come and check it out when your van arrives - you're only 20 mins from me.

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
So since our trip on the weekend we have

1) Order a "Outback Explorer" privacy screen - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4-9m-Car...478495?hash=item41b92b04df:g:jg8AAOSwo4pYbMiF Friends had a shorter version where we stayed, so we threw it on the van for a few days and can see this being used every time the awing goes out
2) Order a CGear 6m multimat from Autoelecau via ebay (ebay this morning emailed me a $20 voucher so the mat only ended up costing $245 delivered - anyone buying from ebay can try applying the code "THANKS20" at checkout)
3) Picked up the cleaning chemicals from Jayco. I know you may find other suitable brands out there but I'll stick with their recommended products. In the end it's a pretty trivial amount and will avoid any issues if the surfaces get stained, etc down the track.
4) Fitted the privacy screens front and rear.

The good news is the privacy screens can remain fitted as other posts have suggested. Just a bit of a fiddle as you need to a) make sure the canvas is away from the locks when closing the lid and b) tuck the canvas up onto the rubber seal just before you close the lid. I'm sure with a bit of practice we will have it down to under 15 seconds ;)

Also - I need to put a shout out to the service and after sales from the Guys and Girls down at Baywater Jayco. Cutting a long story short, no request has gone unfulfilled and the after sales service is great.

Looking forward to getting away this weekend (esp without the kids so we can really figure out what we need in the van) and then for the next trip up the coast.