Shelves in wardrobe.

Apr 15, 2012
Perth W.A.
We have found that we would like to put some shelves in one of the wardrobes, so SWMBO rang around and got a few quotes to get it done. (Being flat out at work is a good thing but means i dont have time to play with the Expanda at the moment :( )
She rang me to let me know what she found out and its a good thing i was sitting down. ( though driving a truck at the time...lol )
Are you ready for this.......drum roll please.......

$250 for two shelves, yep $250. I couldnt believe it so got the number of her and rang them myself. Holey mackrel i am definately in the wrong game. The bloke was actually serious, even told me he couldnt even look at the job for a month as he was flat out.

So has any of you put shelves into one of the wardrobes and if so how did you go about it? Photos if possible would be great. Any other help greatly appreciated.

rick.

paulie484

Apr 12, 2012
Perth WA
Rick...I did our Swan ones and they came up a treat...real easy to do...will see if we have any pics....basically some marine ply from Bunnings and those small angle brackets...stained the timber to match..

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Rick...I did our Swan ones and they came up a treat...real easy to do...will see if we have any pics....basically some marine ply from Bunnings and those small angle brackets...stained the timber to match..

I did the same in my old Hawk. Easy as, and so much cheaper. I used melamine though. They were white but who cares what colour the shelves are, no one looks at them.

kimlouise

Jan 19, 2012
Mornington Peninsula, Victoria
Our friends just measured the width of the cupboard and took the measurements there. It is a 4 draw system and it just slot straight in nice and snug. I think it cost about $70 (More or less). They are very happy. We are hoping to do the same after we pick up our new Van TODAY!!!

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
We bought a set of 5 plastic drawers from Go Lo or one of those cheap shops. You have to assemble by snapping the frame together, only takes a few minutes and you end up with a one piece set of 5 drawers which fits nicely in the wardrobe and allows a gap one side to hang a couple of items still. I put some of that anti slip matting underneath the drawer set and it doesn't move, works great, saved time and it only cost about $30. In the past when we are going away we take the drawer set out and take it in the house to pack then put it back in the van.....to easy!

Apr 15, 2012
Perth W.A.
Thanks guy's. Just talking to the better half and she is not sure which way to go, either shelves or the draw system. If any of you have photos that would be really appreciated, especially for the shelves inside and out. From the look of things i would have to put a screw through from the outside of the cupboard to hold the shelf support, is this right???

rick.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
If it was me and you wanted shelves I would do from inside with a short screw and something like liquid nails so you don't see screws on outside. It's up to you but you could go the drawes which are cheap and no holes needed and go shelves later if you don't like. I need to pop top up before I can take a pic because the door hits on lifting bar.

paulie484

Apr 12, 2012
Perth WA
these are a few I got around the traps whilst searching for inspiration

Cheers

_a.jpg2n_a2.jpgimage0012.jpgn_a111.jpgn_a112.jpgP1020291.jpgZ1XCAOWCLTUCATXXKXBCAE61OONCAN23PG3CAS6VRJVCAGSLPXKCAJR8DFUCA55CJC8CA18JOP3CA6M9VSOCARUAHXSCAT7T.jpg

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Good pics paulie, ours are similar to the plastic ones but we have 5 drawers and about 100mm on the side for hanging space. I'll try to measure our drawers tomorrow without putting top up as I have cover on!

Apr 15, 2012
Perth W.A.
Burnsy, photos would be great if you could please.

Paulie, have you actually done this in your sawn?
Thanks for the photos mate, you got the better half yabbering in my ear about which sort of draws/shelf to do...lol

rick.

paulie484

Apr 12, 2012
Perth WA
Hi Rick

Yep have done in Swan, got no fotos and van packed up.

Was a bit easier as I took the cupboard unit out and layed down, marked out.

Angle brackets from Bunnings to corners sorted connection.

Cheers

Apr 15, 2012
Perth W.A.
Thanks Paulie, how did you actually fix the brackets to to the cupdoard?
Did you screw through from the outside or did you use something like liquid nails to hold things together?

rick.