School me on tow set ups

Heath74

Jan 14, 2014
Sth East Melbourne
So I've done some searching, and can't find the info I'm after. But I'm sure it would be on here somewhere, so feel free to point me in the right direction.

However my question pertains to specific tow set ups. I have a prado 120 with 2" lift in the back and airbags. A HD hayman Reece tow bar, and standard tounge. I'll be hooking up a 14.44.4. OB

I'm across the electric brakes, and need to change the to the 12 pin plug.

But what about sway bars and load leveling bars? And what about one of those adjustable height tow bars do I need one of those?

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
Looking at the spec of ball weight on the Jayco site (150kg odd), shouldnt squat the Prado much at all. Perhaps some one could assist with there hitch height from level ground of their OB to assist you in the measurement of your tongue with the Prado current setup.

Im thinking you'll get away with it, considering you have airbags.

Q, What is the spring rating on the rear of the 2''lift?
Do you carry an assortment of gear in the rear of Prado?

Pace.

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
You won't need anti sway bars on a 14 behind a Prado, IMO. Weight distribution bars will help to move the tow ball weight to the front of the car from the rear. With a 2" lift you will probably need an adjustable to hitch, so that the ball of the car is level with the coupling on the van. You will find the best stability when everything sits level when hooked up.

Reactions: Pace

Heath74

Jan 14, 2014
Sth East Melbourne
Pace, thanks for your response the spring rate is medium duty in the rear, and generally not much weight, eg no drawers in the back.

If my current set up will be in the ball park, I'm happy to play it by ear.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I'd play it by ear to mate, can't really seeing you needing wdh, yes some may disagree but you'll know what feels right.

You may remember my Cruiser with the Expanda on the back at Grannys Flat that had no wdh. I ran a 75mm drop tongue which I still do use but on the BT after the lift.

Last edited:

Heath74

Jan 14, 2014
Sth East Melbourne
Thanks again for the replies

Yeah I do remember that, that cruiser had a very sweet exhaust note . Sounds like it might just be a drop hitch to keep it level.

My camper was about 400kg lighter than the 14, and it was fine.

Just trying to be ready for pick up!

Reactions: cruza driver