16' Series School me on Gas Bottle Switching

Oct 12, 2015
Newcastle
Hey All,

Sorry for the noob question, This gas switcher, on the front of the van,

Do I turn it to the left for the the Left bottle only and the right for the right bottle only and the middle for both?

If its on the middle (assume using both bottles) will the bottles even out to the same level? (eg. if one is full and the other is empty will they both settle at 1/2)?

Can I run it with only 1 bottle?

Cheers

Attachments

• image1 (6).JPG
    image1 (6).JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 309

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Hey All,

Sorry for the noob question, This gas switcher, on the front of the van,

Do I turn it to the left for the the Left bottle only and the right for the right bottle only and the middle for both?

If its on the middle (assume using both bottles) will the bottles even out to the same level? (eg. if one is full and the other is empty will they both settle at 1/2)?

Can I run it with only 1 bottle?

Cheers

The valve points to the gas bottle in use.

If switched to the centre it should be off.

The general way to use them and ensure you never run out of gas is to have both bottles full, switch to one and leave it running on the same one until you run out of gas, then switch over to the other.

You immediately refill the empty one, so next time you run out, you switch back and repeat the process.

If you follow this procedure you should never completely run out of gas.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Have looked through the elgas pages a while ago and they now have more info...... But they do promote the "Swap'nGo" bottles... Wonder if they are a shareholder or owner?

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Been told by a hardware store in Qld that the Fill'n'go bottles have several issues,
1 They are not necessarily filled properly or completely
2 no history of bottle care or maintenance so you don't know what you are getting
3 if you calculate what you are paying for the gas, you can end up paying more
Use your own well cared for bottle at a place that you trust.
I know you must get your bottle checked every 10 years so either do that or buy a replacement every 10 years but at least you know what is on your van and over the life of your bottle you can be confident that all is ok.
The holders on my Panda have a clip that allows the top ring to expand so no troubles with fitting bottles. The clamp is also adjustable. I thought they were all like that.
PS I also have canvas covers on my bottles so no stone damage or chinks in the enamel.
Cheers

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
We just use the Manchester ones and fill up when necessary.

We had too many problems getting a decent and acceptable one from Swap n Go so we stick with what we know.

Did you get the covers from flea bay? I've been meaning to try something like that but forgot about it. I notice our bottles are starting to show some rust marks on the surface so might try to look after them a bit better.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
No, we went to Hall's canvas products ( they always have a stall at the C & C shows that do the rounds.
They were also the group that we got to do our full annexe. See pics on my travel threads to see what a great product they make. They use the off cuts to make all sizes of canvas bags with strong zips for storing all sorts of goodies, hose connectors, iPad bags, camping stove etc, etc.
https://www.facebook.com/Halls-Canvas-Goods-493538980760287/

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Oh the old Swap an Go etc furphy, if the hardware store doesn't fill your bottle using a scale then you don't know what your getting, is it full of liquid or just vapour ?????? the bottles are tested and marked to comply.....I regularly get near new bottles from the rack, quite often manchester bottles and have never had problems fitting them in a rack..................8.5kgs for $20 is way better than $34 for 9kg, thats if it is 9kg the camping shop will fill till gas blows usually so your not getting a full bottle, liquid needs to flow from valve.

They are filled from the same place that fills those big bottles that are used at home, never hear any problems about them ???

I've weighed my Swap an Go bottles and never found any problems with them, have been short changed from places ( camp stores, garages etc) that have supposedly filled them though on a few occasions............did the course on bottle filling and have had no problems with the pre filled set ups.

Reactions: bigcol

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Oh the old Swap an Go etc furphy, if the hardware store doesn't fill your bottle using a scale then you don't know what your getting, is it full of liquid or just vapour ?????? the bottles are tested and marked to comply.....I regularly get near new bottles from the rack, quite often manchester bottles and have never had problems fitting them in a rack..................8.5kgs for $20 is way better than $34 for 9kg, thats if it is 9kg the camping shop will fill till gas blows usually so your not getting a full bottle, liquid needs to flow from valve.

They are filled from the same place that fills those big bottles that are used at home, never hear any problems about them ???

I've weighed my Swap an Go bottles and never found any problems with them, have been short changed from places ( camp stores, garages etc) that have supposedly filled them though on a few occasions............did the course on bottle filling and have had no problems with the pre filled set ups.

Where can you get a cylinder swapped for $20 ?

I've always found getting a fill cheaper than a swap

Last edited:

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
One thing for everyone, only ever turn the gas bottle 1/4 of a turn on or so, never turn it on too far. If something happens you can turn it off fast. So many people turn it in all the way and it only needs to have the tap cracked open.
Agree whole heartedly @Tone ..... You're not a welder/boilermaker????? That was one of the first things I was taught as an apprentice when using oxy/acetylene sets!

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide

Always get a good flow of lpg (liquid) before the valves are closed. Have seen some poor quality bottles in the swap n go rack though. Never been short changed on a bottle fill.
Still like to keep my own bottles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drover and bigcol