Sad goodbye to a true friend

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Gee @Crusty181 your realy coping it rightly so too and your on a push bike trains and busses whats it going to be like when you get it .....
Well done @mfexpanda nice car i was soooooo close to byeing one but not a z71 just a Ltz nice inside good looking cars just a bloody shame there not a v6 or bigger 4cly ..... as for all the utes where has all the power gone if the new navs get any smaller under the bonnet my wifes sowing machine would be bigger
Have all the car makers forgot we do stuff more than drive around town ....like tow stuff travel long distances with our new 70 litre tanks ..... wheres the old v8s ?????
Oh yea there in the 200s crustys new truck and utes and some patrols which you dont see a lot of .......my prado tows the van well but it works very hard and hills slow it right down .... towing anything of good weight behind a small 4 cyl is not ideal heats everything up allthough the cars do it (but for how long)
They tweek so much power out of small motors is it real power ?????
A recent camper behind me is on his 3rd motor in his collie towing of all things im sorry mfexpanda a siverline .... his 3rd motor they had to get from america as they had no more spare ones here but he says the american motor is the best hes had hes very happy with his car now but its taken a while there not all bad many have had trouble with 200s too its luck of the draw but im very happy with 11.59 not towing country driving 14 around town and 17 to 20 towing never dropping under 100ks up any hill

Last edited:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
if the new navs get any smaller under the bonnet my wifes sowing machine would be bigger

You wish

Fully_automated_schiffli_embroidery_machine_by_Saurer.jpg

Reactions: mfexpanda

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I reckon cut price servicing and mechanics that are lost without a computer is what kills the things............ 'Cruiser servicing for example, the fuel filter is only changed when the dash light comes on, yep thats handy when your back of beyond no wonder injectors and pumps croak it.....

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
@mfexpanda i thinks is compensation for being a pies supporter not a discount lol The Collie should go okay after all it’s got a disused Jeep engine in it, see @Crusty181 i can share the love and @Bluey if my Jeep drank anywhere near 20 LP 100 it would be gone
20/100 I'd be happy with that. The old tojo does 24 with the van at 100. Worst I ever got was 40. But getting a newer car is only pre paying my fuel.bill.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
@mfexpanda i thinks is compensation for being a pies supporter not a discount lol The Collie should go okay after all it’s got a disused Jeep engine in it, see @Crusty181 i can share the love and @Bluey if my Jeep drank anywhere near 20 LP 100 it would be gone
Without looking i carnt remember how heavy your van is ......remember thats an average ....20 is on bad days do you eva have bad days towing gale force head winds or cross winds blowing you around? For me driving to lets say sydney is mainly up hill Adelaide too i think towing over 2.5tonne your going to use fiule thats over 5 tonne rolling down or up the road im not shy with my right foot..... unlike crusty my left foot dose nothing his will get a work out
I sit comfortably at 100 or 110 and no hill has slowed me down yet

I think its time crusty got a new user name crusty is a bit crusty ????.
We should start a poll with new names for him

Reactions: DRW and Crusty181

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
To many heavy overloaded vans being towed by small capacity engined vehicles.Twin turbos etc etc are no match for cubic inches eg 3 litre s plus turbo when it comes to wear and tear ,fuel economy etc. Mind you some manufactures have stuck with old design motors won’t name them.!,doing the South Island of NZ in the GC overland diesel,seen 7.8 litres phks on the great SI roads.

Reactions: Bluey and DRW

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Worst we ever did in the new D4 was 20. (Cunnamulla to Tambo) .. avg 15-19 towing. 13 around town 8.7 best doing freeways.
I know people who do better with their 4 cyls. Although better then the D3 Petrol. we avg 20-24 :)
Years ago I would have agreed with @BJM bigger is always better, but Im not convinced any more. As you say Dave very powerful well geared tiny motors are doing a reasonable job dragging some monster weights.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Years ago I would have agreed with @BJM bigger is always better, but Im not convinced any more. As you say Dave very powerful well geared tiny motors are doing a reasonable job dragging some monster weights.
I know a few with MUX's doing well with vans around the same weight. Also know someone with a Fortuna doing better.
Both be pretty well on GVM if not over although tugs weigh less then the D4 as well.
The new D5 2.0 4cyl has really good reports towing up to 3 tonne its 500kgs lighter then a D4. Getting another torque update this year the service guy said to me recently. He still liked the 3.0 V6 although said the 2.0 V4 been really good.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I know a few with MUX's doing well with vans around the same weight. Also know someone with a Fortuna doing better.
Both be pretty well on GVM if not over although tugs weigh less then the D4 as well.
The new D5 2.0 4cyl has really good reports towing up to 3 tonne its 500kgs lighter then a D4. Getting another torque update this year the service guy said to me recently. He still liked the 3.0 V6 although said the 2.0 V4 been really good.

I reckon they would be pretty flogged out after 250,000kms requiring things like turbos and fuel pumps to be overhauled if worked regularly but then again good maintenance above the service schedule and working regularly may see them performing well in the high km range compared to if they just do a little bit with lots of city driving, the city kills oil burners .............. While I have a 2.8 I wouldn't want to go smaller and while it performs well I would rather a 5.7 under the lid, no matter what the blurb says a nice V8 diesel or petrol does do a better job working if you can drive than a little chook chaser any day and still be doing it 400,000km later.

Reactions: Bluey

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
That Isuzu engine will last years, no way would I have a twin turbo in a 2lt, suppose okay if your one of the buy new and replace every 3 yrs, I tend to keep them.

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
Every road works site for the last 200 years has that Isuzu engine in some plant equipment somewhere, as @davemc said its been around for ever and apart from some mining companies putting it down (only because the lost their beloved Cruisers due to budget cuts) its a good thing

Reactions: Drover and Bluey