Sad goodbye to a true friend

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
The Engel isnt playing well with the Troopy battery, probably the smart alternator isnt helping matters. Since installing a battery monitor, my previous "blissfully unaware" status has taken a hit and it now worries the bejesus out of me. Im yet to take the first steps toward dual batteries, although its likely i will be soon.

Trying to find a low voltage cutout for less than an insulting price, i made my own. Pcb mounted 20amp cutout. Mounted in a jiffy all for under $10 ... thanks Mr Chinaman

Because im not an electronics guru, i can easily get away with blind rivetting the pcb to the plastic jiffy. When you dont know, you dont care and just improvise

The module is fully programmable, set the low voltage cutout, and the cut back in and has a voltage display which i had to polish the jiffy with wet & dry to see thru. Drilled a couple of holes in the jiffy to stick a toothpick thru to adjust the cut in/out as i find the sweet spot. Im starting at 12v low and 13v high. 12v should still start the car, and 13v will keep the fridge off until after the car starts or the solar kicks in when connected.

View attachment 64628

Hi @Crusty181 , the module that you are modifying was what I was talking about in November 2018, when @Drover bought up the subject of how to provide an electrical system to protect battery/ies from low voltage , better than the Setec or other systems which had very low (poor) voltage cutouts. I still have mine and showed it to @mikerezny when he was up here in Queensland a few months ago. I tested my unit on a fridge battery too and it did exactly as programmed, cutting the load when voltage dropped under the setting, and re-connecting a few seconds after cut-in voltage was reached as battery charged. . For under $10.00, it comes in its own semi sealed module which you can fit into hole in the wall etc. You can vary LVD and LVR over a wide range and it can handle 20 amps too. And you do not have to be an electronics tech head or make holes to poke through cover to make adjustments, or polish anything as the LED screen is easily seen on the front of unit. See the link below.

Incidentally, 12.0 volts seems fair enough for a LVD, and I can understand why you are setting the LVR at 13.0 volts too, as your modern Troopy may not produce that much from the latest alternator at times. See attached from Red Arc.

Be careful when riveting PCB to anything - they are brittle and the printed circuit is easily cracked. For $10 already made up, you could save your self a lot of hassle. Good luck.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-Battery-Low-Voltage-Cut-off-Switch-On-Protection-Undervoltage-Controller/302746258774?_trkparms=aid=555021&algo=PL.SIMRVI&ao=1&asc=20190711100440&meid=dc16281d0

Attachments

• Alternators and charging voltages 2.pdf
    957 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:
Reactions: davemc

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi @Crusty181 , the module that you are modifying was what I was talking about in November 2018, when @Drover bought up the subject of how to provide an electrical system to protect battery/ies from low voltage , better than the Setec or other systems which had very low (poor) voltage cutouts. I still have mine and showed it to @mikerezny when he was up here in Queensland a few months ago. I tested my unit on a fridge battery too and it did exactly as programmed, cutting the load when voltage dropped under the setting, and re-connecting a few seconds after cut-in voltage was reached as battery charged. . For under $10.00, it comes in its own semi sealed module which you can fit into hole in the wall etc. You can vary LVD and LVR over a wide range and it can handle 20 amps too. And you do not have to be an electronics tech head or make holes to poke through cover to make adjustments, or polish anything as the LED screen is easily seen on the front of unit. See the link below.

Incidentally, 12.0 volts seems fair enough for a LVD, and I can understand why you are setting the LVR at 13.0 volts too, as your modern Troopy may not produce that much from the latest alternator at times. See attached from Red Arc.

Be careful when riveting PCB to anything - they are brittle and the printed circuit is easily cracked. For $10 already made up, you could save your self a lot of hassle. Good luck.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-Battery-Low-Voltage-Cut-off-Switch-On-Protection-Undervoltage-Controller/302746258774?_trkparms=aid=555021&algo=PL.SIMRVI&ao=1&asc=20190711100440&meid=dc16281d0
I looked at that unit, and a couple of others much the same but i need it now for a couple of trips, and the Hongkonese postie took way too long. A local Chinaman in Sydney had the boards cheap (almost Hong Kong cheap) and i could get them now.

Im surprised you wouldnt delight in an opportunity to exercise some hands on electro-therapy

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
I looked at that unit, and a couple of others much the same but i need it now for a couple of trips, and the Hongkonese postie took way too long. A local Chinaman in Sydney had the boards cheap (almost Hong Kong cheap) and i could get them now.

Im surprised you wouldnt delight in an opportunity to exercise some hands on electro-therapy

Hi @Crusty181 , The "delight" in providing "hands on electro-therapy" is always available to those that need it and want to learn. In your case, you seem to be all over it - even a reluctant "Tech Head"! But I am still happy to provide my input if requested - useful or not.

Reactions: Crusty181

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
The Troopy dressed up in it's pared down camp cozzie, ready for the next few months planned adventures

20200301_175212.jpg

20200301_175512.jpg

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
First Aid kit handy then ???
You'll be very happy to learn that I won a very impressive camp orientated 1st aid kit in my very extensive and expensive magazine competition prize pack that I won last year, although I'm hardly likely to hurt myself camping in the local Primary School car park. It's comforting to know that you're thinking of my safety tho ;)

Reactions: DRW

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
You'll be very happy to learn that I won a very impressive camp orientated 1st aid kit in my very extensive and expensive magazine competition prize pack that I won last year, although I'm hardly likely to hurt myself camping in the local Primary School car park. It's comforting to know that you're thinking of my safety tho ;)

Hopefully @Crusty181 , you will not have to apply first aid to yourself. Just watch the first step on the ladder when emerging from your cave half asleep. It is a long way to fall from the top of your Troopy to the ground, even in a Primary School car park. Can school children do CPR if they find you unconscious in their car park??

Reactions: Crusty181

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hopefully @Crusty181 , you will not have to apply first aid to yourself. Just watch the first step on the ladder when emerging from your cave half asleep. It is a long way to fall from the top of your Troopy to the ground, even in a Primary School car park. Can school children do CPR if they find you unconscious in their car park??
Its a little lower than sleeping on the roof of my house

Last edited:
Reactions: DRW

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Wont do him any good i dont excpt any cards its full price all the way

So your saying really "You don't come cheap" then @Bluey........:bounce:

Also Big Mal might be rattling down the road end of next week if I can get motivated, West, South or a bit of both have no idea then again may stay home. decisions, decisions.....

Reactions: Bluey

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Back today from East Gippsland. The Troopy ... what can i say. 1.6t payload and 15.28ltr/100km towing a 3.2t van. Im tearing up, consumed with emotion. Theres nothing that can lay a glove on this beast

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Back today from East Gippsland. The Troopy ... what can i say. 1.6t payload and 15.28ltr/100km towing a 3.2t van. Im tearing up, consumed with emotion. Theres nothing that can lay a glove on this beast

Sounds too good to be true @Crusty181 . With a GVM of 4.8t, and attaining that 15.28l/100km consumption, there must have been a good tail wind and /or all down hill running or a very competent and careful driver. If none of those, then truly an incredible beast! Full tank to full tank and not just the first click off??

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Sounds too good to be true @Crusty181 . With a GVM of 4.8t, and attaining that 15.28l/100km consumption, there must have been a good tail wind and /or all down hill running or a very competent and careful driver. If none of those, then truly an incredible beast! Full tank to full tank and not just the first click off??
You can learn me up in many many things Boots, but refuelling a car, and primary school math aint on that list. I managed to avoid the entire East Gippsland coastal mountain ranges, and i suppose you can check the BOM for the wind conditions. :)

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I reckon drive to enjoy, no fun if watching economy.... Peddle to the metal....yahoo.
My old Volvo FM returned 3km/lt damn fine economy.