S + B's Starcraft 17.58-3 Outback

bloke

Apr 25, 2016
Bendigo
looks great mate.. Interesting they putting a box around hot water now I was always paranoid :)
You got the Jerry can holder I was told did not come with our model as well.
Whens the first trip planned?
Yes, I was surprised to see the box around the HWS and pump, but it certainly is a good idea to avoid the pipes etc...

Just as I was about to sign off on the van, I noticed the jerry can holder wasn't on the build sheet. When I made the enquiry, they explained that since I had ordered the extended draw bar, the jerry can holder was deleted for weight reasons. When I stated that the specs say jerry can holder was part of the outback version, they were quick to offer to move the spare wheel to the rear, and then include the jerry holder on the front again.

I am hoping to have at least a sneaky night away in the next couple off weeks, somewhere close to home. Proper trip planned to Lakes Entrance for 5 nights end of the month!

bloke

Apr 25, 2016
Bendigo
Great to finally have it in the driveway hey @bloke ! So do you have any mods planned yet apart from the ariel?
Plenty of mods on the list @17triton , just a matter of the $$$!

I fixed up the antenna cable this morning, just followed the install instructions that came with the van, and routed the cable the suggested way, much neater and still works great. Checked the antenna signal this morning with the laptop (via a PC tuner kit I have had for a while). Worked really well and got heaps of channel. I just put the antenna up, and it must have been pointing roughly in the right direction.

I would really like to get the diesel heater install done ASAP, so will again look at what will be the best option/deal and try and make the finances stretch.

Other than that, small items like tubs under the bed (like yours from memory), and another shower head holder to fix on the roof so the head can be held up there for when normal height people have a shower! :)

Lots of other mods on the list for down the track, most of them smaller items.

Reactions: bigcol and 17triton

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Good stuff mate! Yeah the diesel heater, toolbox and trifold table have been my favourite improvements. I still want to change that stupid drop down draw to a 3/4 full depth draw and change the plumbing and remove all those pipes out of the cupboard under the sink. Always something to tinker with.

bloke

Apr 25, 2016
Bendigo
Looks great! Very nice choice of van :) Same story as the jerry holder on ours. I like the boxing around the pump etc. Will give you a nice defined space for the diesel heater.

Enjoy!
Yep, that is exactly what I was thinking. Should fit well right in the corner, just beside the breakaway battery unit. I haven't looked under the van at that exact point yet, but hopefully a hole in the floor there for the inlet and exhaust will work ok between the cross members of the under frame.

The 3/4 draw is also on my list, ASAP. Shouldn't be a big cost to management, just a fiddly job to get it right.

I bought some plastic tubs for under the main bed, yet to be put in place, but I guess it could be a (minor) mod?

Reactions: megcam and bigcol

bloke

Apr 25, 2016
Bendigo
Good stuff mate! Yeah the diesel heater, toolbox and trifold table have been my favourite improvements. I still want to change that stupid drop down draw to a 3/4 full depth draw and change the plumbing and remove all those pipes out of the cupboard under the sink. Always something to tinker with.
Do you find your diesel heater noisey at all @17triton?

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Do you find your diesel heater noisey at all @17triton?
Not at all mate. They do make a bit on startup mainly with the air sucking in (under the van) but it is heaps better than the roof aircon turning on and off. When i first used the diesel heater in auto mode it did cycle on and off but found set in manual on the lowest setting (1kw) it just ticks along nicely. @Tone has given me a small aircleaner type fitting to put on the air induction pipe to silence it.

Tone

Nov 27, 2014
Warrnambool
Not at all mate. They do make a bit on startup mainly with the air sucking in (under the van) but it is heaps better than the roof aircon turning on and off. When i first used the diesel heater in auto mode it did cycle on and off but found set in manual on the lowest setting (1kw) it just ticks along nicely. @Tone has given me a small aircleaner type fitting to put on the air induction pipe to silence it.
What you still haven't put it in yet??? Slack!!

bloke

Apr 25, 2016
Bendigo
I am looking at getting a bike rack sorted asap, hopefully before the first trip at the end of the month. We take 2 adult bikes and 2 kids smaller bikes. I generally take two on the roof of the car which works well, and in the previous van I carried the smaller bikes inside the van.

I want to avoid putting the bikes in the van, so I am considering the options. I am not keen on having a rack on the back wall of the van, hence I didn't order it with one.

I am considering either a Fiamma (or similar) prefab rack to sit across the draw bar, or perhaps a custom job similar to @17triton 's job on his old expanda, which incorporated a off the shelf tow bar style rack fixed to the custom frame work...

I have a reasonable amount of room behind the gas bottles and jerry holder, so a custom job would possibly fit between the bottles and the van nicely. For the Fiamma options, to make it work property the bottles would probably have to be moved back, having the rack in front to span the shorter distance between the aframe.

Lots of thinking to do! Any ideas?

Attachments

• fiamma.jpg
    fiamma.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_20160809_163539.jpg
    IMG_20160809_163539.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 297
Reactions: 17triton

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I was camped at Exmouth one time, and the guy behind me had a Swan / Eagle / whatever, with a heap of kids, and such
when we were talking about all his bikes, he showed me what he had a the front on the draw bar
it was a Thule one that folded forward over the hitch when they pulled the bed out
something similar to this - I should have taken photo's, but never thought about it at the time

thule-bike-rack.jpg

Reactions: Dobbie

bloke

Apr 25, 2016
Bendigo
As you have seen what I did on my expanda I don't need to suggest that. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the Starcraft yet might be scooters.
I am seriously considering something like your custom build on the front our expanda mate.

Wondering, what was the idea behind what look likes excess plating / bracket along the draw bar, instead of just enough to mount the SHS on? Was it simply for extra strength? And if so do you think (or perhaps Mrs Structural Engineer) it was required in the long run?